2015 Ford F-250 6.2 rotella

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a lot of weight, but that engine is easy on oil too.

Why would it need something thicker? What does the OM say? Running a heavier weight would likely void the warranty.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
It really grinds my gears when people say this. Do you want an engine to limp to 200k+? Or do you want it to the engine to be as healthy, clean and powerful as when you first bought the vehicle? Any vehicle can last 200k with mediocre maintenance, but I would not want that vehicle after you resale it.

Please explain how following the manufacturer's recommended maintenance will result in a vehicle that limps to 200k? Also please explain how following the manufacturer's recommended maintenance will result in a dirty, powerless engine.

Hint: neither will and both will result in long service life from the units. It's when you skip maintenance that problems occur, not following what they say to do.

As long as there's not sludge floating around the engine, it doesn't matter how "clean" it is.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
M1 0W-40 with a Motorcraft filter. UOA should show 10-12k OCI. I would skip the 20-grades for your application. I think a lot of guys here do not understand how much weight you are towing.

+1 Towing 15,000+ pounds, I'd be using M1 15W-50. Let the Ford Focus guys have their 20 wt.

Please. That's absurd. Every truck sold with a tow package has an oil cooler therefore oil temps rarely exceed temps high enough to compromise film strength.
Posts like this make me laugh. An air cooled harley might like that for oil but it's got absolutely no place in a modern North American operated engine.
Sometimes I wonder why some people even come to the site. They obviously to set in yesterday's thinking to evolve with technology.
When motor cars became common many a person thought a horse was the only way. That's how I see uber thick oils
They absolutely have a place in an application that was clearanced properly however a ford engine isn't one of those engines.

And look at fords track record in respect to mod motors and 20 grades. If anything the mod engines are operating for more miles that the windsors they replaced and in no way shape or form is the prescribed 20 grade inadequate.
I suggest you pm fx4. He's got a substantial amount of data proving your comment absurd. Why not learn something while your here.

Hi Fordbossguy,

I wouldn't use the 5w/40 if it were me. Your 6.2 does have a water to oil cooler that should help keep the oil temps in check so I think you'll be fine running a 5w/20 that meets Ford's specs and using a synthetic will hopefully keep the VII to a minimum to help with shear considering that engine will likely be spinning higher RPM's for longer durations than the average commuter / weekend warrior truck would. I don't think I'd try to extend the OCI's with that load, Ford says 5000 miles with regular towing and that's where I would start. I don't think the 6.2 ever got the IOLM so if your truck is like mine it's just a mileage counter (I have a 2011 F-250 with the 6.2) and doesn't account for load, speed, etc.

I'm interested in the performance of your truck with the weights you tow, as it seems you'd be a bit over GCVWR even with 4.30 gears pulling 19k. I'm assuming you're using a 5th wheel car trailer?

I am impressed with how well my 6.2 does, it's got 96k miles and it pulls great. I pull a John Deere 110 TLB on a twin axle flatbed trailer hooked to the factory receiver with a weight distribution hitch, I'd estimate my combination is around 17 to 17.5k with some tools in the bed, and you're pulling more that that with your truck, wow! For my truck I use a name brand conventional changed at 7500-8000 miles with a MC FL-820S filter, because even though I tow something nearly every day it only accounts for about 30% of my total mileage.

As for the brake and power steering fluid, changing them both every two or three years won't hurt depending on how hard you work those systems. If your putting 100k miles a year on a truck over flat interstate you may not need to worry about those fluids much especially if you've got the gain boosted up on your trailer brakes. But if you're putting 20-30k a year on with your weight maxed out through city streets you might want to change them more often. BTW, Ford does recommend changing the spark plugs at 60k if you tow regularly, I might do the transmission fluid at the same time.

Good luck to you.

Truck now has 10,300 miles on it, I just changed the oil last night I got cal m1 on sale in a 5w-30 with a motorcraft filter for a really good deal.

Run whatever oil you wish, its your truck. The owners manual calls for 5k oil changes while towing, 7.5k normal operation.
I have worked in a ford dealer for 27 years and can tell you that I have never seen them request the brand or weight of oil used in an engine that failed. If its dirty inside they will make you pay due to neglect.
Haven't seen a 6.2 fail yet.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
Originally Posted By: Fordbossguy
What's your guys thoughts on Kendall oil?

good oil. same company that makes the motorcraft oil.

+1 good oil, but ive only ever seen it at Firestone quick lubes around here. Someone recommended Amsoil SS 5w-20, you should look into their oils, you may not reach 25k intervals due to your severe conditions but 15k is their severe service interval for heavy loads and towing, it is a huge PITA to have to order it though if that's not your thing. If you can get Kendall that's conocophillips top tier oil.

We recommend that you use the motor oil viscosity specified by the OEM. You’ve stated that your engine requires a 5W-20 motor oil, therefore we suggest that you abide by your OEM’s recommended 5W20 viscosity requirement (with that said, we would not endorse or recommend the use of the thicker 5W-40 viscosity grade). In fact, using a thicker motor oil could possible effect the performance of your engine.

Specifically, we recommend Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-20 with PurePlus Technology for your engine. - The Pennzoil Team

My son in law has a 2010 F350 dully with a dump bed and snow plow attachment. He uses M1 5-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back