97 Mercedes 320K miles Oil Recommendation Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought 97 Mercedes e420 with 320K from friend who's used Mobil 1 on it for last 100K or so, but doesn't remember specifics. Can anyone please recommend a grade and type of motor oil to use? The manual doesn't recommend a grade and it's not written on the oil filler cap. I don't see any leaks on the driveway or anything, so I think things are running pretty well.

I'd probably start using the M1 High Mileage 10w-40 variety myself to hopefully prevent leaks, but that's just me.

The Euro 0w-40 formula is a great choice too.

Sure, but it doesn't have the typical grade recommendation. In the specifications/capacities section it just says to use recommended grades.

I see no reason to change from Mobil 1 0w-40 to anything else

it's proven itself so far...

the recommended grade according to my system is fairly liberal

229.1, 229.3, 229.5

0w/5w-30, 0w/5w-40, 5w-50 - All temperatures

M1 has gotten the vehicle that far, unless there's specific reason for it, I'd suggest not changing.

I'd use M1 0w-40, unless you wanted to switch to a HM oil then I'd suggest sticking with M1 by using M1 HM.

Mercedes has a list of recommended oils floating around.

Mobil 1 0w40 is popular because its easy to get and fairly cheap.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
M1 0w-40 or Castrol Edge 0w-40.

Agree. Either will be good but Castrol Edge 0w-40 currently $21.xx 5-qt jug at Walmart is a better buy than M1 0W40 at $26.xx.

PS Mann HU 718/5X fleece oil filter is good for up to 15k miles is vailable at Amazon or Rockauto for around $10/ea

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
M1 0w-40 or Castrol Edge 0w-40.

+1 here

You can't go wrong with either of these.

But M1 has got you this far, so I think I would keep using it.

Funny that no one makes a Euro High Mileage oil.

Do they exist in Europe?

Do you know if the seals are in good shape? If so, go with Mobil 1 0W-40. If it leaks, try a high mileage oil. Valvoline MaxLife and Pennzoil HM both worked the best in terms of stopping leaks in my experience. Mobil 1 HM didn't seem to slowdown any leaks for me, but now that I got the leaks stopped using Pennzoil HM, I went back to the Mobil 1 HM and the leaks haven't come back.

If the previous owner used M1 for 100000 miles and no leaks presented themselves I'd keep using it however at this point you could use any euro grade oil and I doubt any problems would present themselves.

Sounds good. So far i don't see any drips under the car and it doesn't seem to smoke, so I'm leaning toward the 0W/40 Mobil 1, which seems to be the consensus here. I ordered a Mann filter to go with it too. I had considered adding Marvel's Mystery Oil prior to the change, but from what i gather from other forums, it may be unwise.

Here are the recommendations:

MBOilSpec1.jpg

ScreenShot2012-10-08at115526PM.png

MBOilSpec4.jpg

I'd personally run M1 0w-40 and looks at leaks and consumption, then move to M1 HM 10w-40 if I observed either.

Originally Posted By: Dada5
I had considered adding Marvel's Mystery Oil prior to the change, but from what i gather from other forums, it may be unwise.

Yes, please don't. If it ain't broke...

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I'd probably start using the M1 High Mileage 10w-40 variety myself to hopefully prevent leaks, but that's just me.

But that's just us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back