Stainless brake lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday my driver side caliper froze up on me while driving home. I installed a new one and while bleeding the brakes (catching the fluid in an old taco bell cup) I noticed the fluid had black specs in it. I got to thinking about it after we were done and did some research, looks like the common theory is that the stock rubber brake lines deteriorate from the inside and can cause brake calipers to fail.

This might explain why I've gone through 4 front calipers and one rear caliper in 2 years.

I found some Goodrich stainless replacement lines

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3671A0A0.aspx

But it also appears that Skyjacker and Russell make stainless lines as well.

Has anyone had any experience with them? Which one fits the best, has good quality, or better yet, has anyone had a stainless line fail?

Last edited:
This past spring/summer I replaced all of the rubber brake hoses on my Accord with Goodridge SS brake hoses. They were easy to install and work great. The brake pedal is a lot quicker.

Oddly enough, my two rear brake hoses were starting to crack, not leaking. All four SS hoses were about $110 while an el cheapo AZ or AAP Made in China rubber hose was $39 a piece. Go figure.

So far, they have been just fine. Can't look at them and tell ATM, but they seem to be doing OK in the salty harsh WNY weather.

Last edited:
I Have SS lines on my Chevy P/U they were installed waaay before I bought it and they look like new, no failures.

the trans lines are SS also, the PO must have wanted this to last for ever. Nice benefit on this truck
smile.gif

What's the cross section of an "SS" hose look like. The stainless braid does NOT contain the fluid. Some "SS" hoses use a teflon liner , others just a plain rubber liner just like a 'SS' washer hose. What does the braid do... raises the bursting pressure.

Last edited:
Put the Goodrich lines on my 4 Runner about 12 years ago. It's been driven in salt and snow since then with no visible degradation of the lines. The pedal feel was improved slightly with the lines. If the price is close, I'd go SS in a heartbeat.

Goodrich as breaklines are awesome. I had them on my old trans am. When my stock lines on my truck need replacing, I'm getting ss ones

Look for DOT approval, some have them now.

The premise for not approving them in the past had something to do with being unable to inspect the rubber layer, as the stainless braid covered it.

I'd hate to have insurance not pay out on a technicality if you got in a wreck or something.

Originally Posted By: Fordtrucktexan
looks like the common theory is that the stock rubber brake lines deteriorate from the inside and can cause brake calipers to fail.

This might explain why I've gone through 4 front calipers and one rear caliper in 2 years.[/b]

Exactly how does a deteriorating flexible brake hose ruin a brake caliper?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Look for DOT approval, some have them now.

The premise for not approving them in the past had something to do with being unable to inspect the rubber layer, as the stainless braid covered it.

I'd hate to have insurance not pay out on a technicality if you got in a wreck or something.
When was the kast time you saw an insurance guy look at brake lines? I was amazed (depressed) by the poor condition of the rubber brake hoses on the Rat. They were only 17 yrs old and cracked to smithereens, *****. The 25 yr old plus ATEs on the BMWs look much better. I bought some shiny new ones at the 'Zone. The boy racers, favor the SS. because they permit higher pressure. Fine except nothing has been done to generate more PSI.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
What's the cross section of an "SS" hose look like. The stainless braid does NOT contain the fluid. Some "SS" hoses use a teflon liner , others just a plain rubber liner just like a 'SS' washer hose. What does the braid do... raises the bursting pressure.

Precisely, they can still deterioration from the inside. For a daily driver, I'd rather have regular rubber hoses as they can be easily inspected and cheaply replaced. Also, unless the SS weave is waterproof, or there is a jacket between the SS braiding and the actual hose, salt can get in between the weave and the hose and create abrasion points.

SS hoses are great. I put Goodridge on one GP and are taking them off this year, the ones i got have no plastic outer cover over the braid and they didn't offer ones that did.
Sand can get in the braid and over time cut the teflon core. I have Russel on the other GP.

The difference is night and day, better finish at the fittings, the fitting themselves look beefier and fit the caliper better, plastic covering and are available in +2" up front for the F body brake mod. They even have the missing 5th short line.
Overall they are just a better line.

Pedal feel is right there, no sponginess from expanding rubber hoses.

Edit: The ones with no covering are the G-Stop you linked too. Stay clear of these.
When i swap these G-Stop out for the Russel i will start a thread with pictures detailing the difference.
I wont even give them away, they will be destroyed. They have 1K on them, thats how unsure i am about them.

Google the issue with no covering.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
The boy racers, favor the SS. because they permit higher pressure. Fine except nothing has been done to generate more PSI.

Rubber hoses do flex a small amount even when new, this really hinders pedal feel and absorbs some pressure away from the caliper. The SS doesn't have this issue.

Try this. On a motorcycle (only because its easier) squeeze the front brake on a rubber hose system while holding the hose in your hand.
You will feel the hose taking pressure, this is hose flex. Do the same with SS, you feel nothing.

The result is better brake feel and brakes that are easier to modulate. They really are a worthwhile upgrade.

My BIL changed his original brake lines of the 1995 MB 500E to SS few years ago, he said it didn't improve pedal feel at all. His experience stopped me from changing mine to SS, because mine was working well and changing to SS is not easy and can be messy. If mine is failing then I would change to SS instead of rubber.

Thats because he probably had SS to begin with. I remember an older 500 SEL with SS braid inside the rubber.
We tried to cut it in half with a pair of sheet metal snips after we changed because of cracked rubber. Most cars are not like this but there are some.

You're probably right. The 1992-1998 MB 500E and E500 were Porsche design/engineer cars, they probably have SS braid inside the rubber brake lines.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My BIL changed his original brake lines of the 1995 MB 500E to SS few years ago, he said it didn't improve pedal feel at all. His experience stopped me from changing mine to SS, because mine was working well and changing to SS is not easy and can be messy. If mine is failing then I would change to SS instead of rubber.
The MB OEM hoses are, I suspect, of above average quality.

Ss lines are not hard tube. There still is rubber inside. No different than the ss braided lines for connecting faucets.

You had better check for dot approval, because if you hit someone and it's found out, you'll be on the hook.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The MB OEM hoses are, I suspect, of above average quality.

This is an MB brake hose after about 30 years of use.

IK3_9871.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back