Trace amount of battery acid...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got bored for the first time in months yesterday. I decided to clean and re-coat the Escape's battery terminals because we had used it to jump a vehicle recently. I figured I should re-coat it since the cables dug through the existing layer.

While spraying the CRC battery cleaner on it, a small amount turned pink on the negative terminal. The CRC cleaner turns from yellow to pink if it hits acid. The battery is an AAP autocraft battery that is about 2.5-3 years old. It has a 3 year free replacement warranty.

Is this something I could try and claim for a warranty? Would the store believe me or trust a battery cleaner as an indicator? I can't see any physical signs of leaking.

I wouldn't count on it. As long as the battery tests good and is not visibly leaking, they are going to send you off with a simple
good bye.
smile.gif

If you're finding acid I'd take it back. Give AAP a chance to do their job.

If you want the battery to look like new clean it with Pledge Furniture Polish. Don't laugh. It does a great job. You'll never need any grease on the terminals.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you're finding acid I'd take it back. Give AAP a chance to do their job.

I agree that the OP should take the car there and let them check it out, but if they can't find a visible leak they are not going to warranty it.

A buildup of acid on terminals is a normal chemical result of charging. It is usually worse in winter with short trips.

Clean with a baking soda paste made with water and rinse thoroughly, then recoat.

Pledge is a detailer's best friend. A dirty battery will have voltage between the top and ground. I would clean the battery, put a dab of grease around the posts where they come through the case and move on. As Kuato said, some acid is to be expected.

PS, Kuato, I adopted the tag of a Texan Jeep guy "Not a complete fool, some parts are missing"
grin2.gif

Last edited:
How would acid on the negative terminal be expected? These batteries are sealed. Acid appearing anywhere would be a sign of a failed seal, IMO.

I am going to try and take it by and see what they say.

They are not completely sealed. The battery does need to vent.

Sealed means you can't add water.

It's really a "maintenance free battery." SLA batteries are different.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
They are not completely sealed. The battery does need to vent.

Sealed means you can't add water.

It's really a "maintenance free battery." SLA batteries are different.

That is my thought as well, the venting deposited a small amount of
acid on the terminal.

But there is no reason not to head over to AAP and inquire about your concern. I would at least have them test the battery and visually inspect it for actual leaks.

They don't vent much anymore. That's why you don't need to add water. Anything that is vented is either hydrogen or oxygen, not acid anyway.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
They don't vent much anymore. That's why you don't need to add water. Anything that is vented is either hydrogen or oxygen, not acid anyway.

Exactly.

If the post seal is broken then when the Hydrogen or Oxygen is vented it will carry acid along with it. If there is acid on the outside of a battery it is leaking, or if it's an older type that you can add water to it is overfilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back