inline fuel filterfor a 98 corolla possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible,too installa fuel filter on a 1998 toyota corolla? near the fuel rail?
A freind did this too hiscars, one an older late 70's monte carlo. I was at mylocal autozone earlier, and saw feul filters...the ones in plastic castings, some inmetal castings, with fuel line nipple openings.
ijust saw a youtube vid, a really cool guy, saying todays cars, would burst the plastic housing ones. my friend, had a smaller plastic or glass tube one. idelike too try and install a fuelfilter if its possible!
isit? if so how?
i belive, the 98 corolla just has a mesh screen in the fuel pump.
could i use the plastic casing ones? they look really cool! and fun too see what could build up in it.

ide imagine the mesh screen in tank dosnt filter down in microns, as the ones that look like oil filters do, nor is the one in tank easily accessable, its part of the fuel pump....corolla dosnt have an external filter, which is what imwanting too do.
could the clear plastic housing filters at autozone withstand fuel pressure in 98 corolla?

Originally Posted By: ziggy
ide imagine the mesh screen in tank dosnt filter down in microns, as the ones that look like oil filters do, nor is the one in tank easily accessable, its part of the fuel pump....corolla dosnt have an external filter, which is what imwanting too do.
could the clear plastic housing filters at autozone withstand fuel pressure in 98 corolla?
I wouldn't use the clear plastic ones, use a metal one. The plastic ones are for low pressure, and I don't think they can withstand the 55-60+ psi in a fuel injected car's fuel line. I could be wrong though.

the filter is in the tank with the fuel pump, don't bother we have 4 corollas with a total of 900k+ miles without any issues, we get above epa estimated for mpg as well.

just how you maintain it.

It is in the tank and the injectors themselves have a small screen filter inside.
Don't use any additional filter you could strain the pump depending on how much restriction there is. Plastic aftermarket filter housings should not be used in FI systems unless specifically designed to handle the pressure.

I would save the money and forget the whole thing.

49.gif

Camrys of that vintage have an inline filter with a "quick change" fitting on one end which breaks off with ease. THEN you're stuck. Even the dealers don't like to touch them without cause. So with 300 K on the OEM, one of mine is still running fine. I don't understand why the same vintage Corolla soesn't have one, though.
Gas is cleaner today, the FAA appproves pump gas for some light aviation use, and new fuel systems are not shunt regulated with a return to the tank, but use a fuel pump which is speed controlled by the ECU. Far less fuel by volume is moved that way.
You should get an OBD II code if fuel pressure is below normal.
Did you check Rock Auto to see what sort of filter they list for your car?

Last edited:
i've seen folks who have broken the fuel line "quick change" fitting on a Camry to get the OEM filter off "engineer" a substitute with the famous "hose clamps" but I do NOT suggest adding one that way.
I remember when Volvo, SAAB and others went to the "world standard" Bosch EFI in the 70s. They used rubber hose and hose clamps from the firewall to the fuel rail, ect. Your engine would start to run rough, you'd stop, open the hood, and find gas everywhere. Carrying a spare hunk of hose was a good idea. In the mid 70s the "world standard" shifted to the "CSI" systems which used a plastic hose, lower pressure, and didn't leak very often.

I agree with the above, no need to add an additional fuel filter. Will not make Ur vehicle last any longer than without it.

Originally Posted By: ted s
that filter and hoses will NOT handle the fuel presure of a fuel ejected motor

They certainly can if you select the correct parts.

its more intended toobe a fun thing to do with my crolla.my friend had installed one on his late 70's monte carlo..a tube looking filter forgas installed before injectors. mr. gasket i think made it.
i had read the plastic onees wont withstand..so too maybe use metal. however, thiers a small universal one made by driveworks, for nstallation in the engine compartment, asuming before fuelrail.advance auto has itlisted..made by driveworks.
so eric says itcan work with proper installements...do tell
!!

ok! i cannot copy pics, but posted the links, form advance auto parts, of the filters i am looking at:) thiers a fram one, looks square shaped, says its for fuel injection applications1 so does the K&N one....
what does everyone think about installing one of these, on my corolla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back