No more stinking up the house when cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kitchen ventillation at our current place sucks badly. I was getting irritated with the house smelling for days after any kind of cooking that involved a frying pan. So I finally set up a little table on the balcony/patio and bought this little guy and hooked it up to one of my 20 lb propane tanks. It works quite well. It's able to generate plenty of heat for some serious frying/cooking, even when it's cold outside.

The only downside is the flame controls are a bit flimsy, not allowing you to set a very small flame. If you're not very careful, you'll end up killing the flame and then have to pull out a match to re-ignite it. I'll have to buy one of those piezo igniters/lighters since this unit doesn't have one built in.
71rkng2L51L._SL1500_.jpg

http://amzn.com/B00005OU9D

A handy thing to know is when the propane is low, it will dispense unburned propane out of the burner. If their isn't 360 degrees of flame, unburned propane is likely coming out.

A friend of mine uses one of these quite often, even in the winter.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, Grilling outside is KING.

I hear ya. I've got a Weber grill sitting right next to it. But sometimes I just need to fry something up using a frying pan and some grape seed oil. My grill doesn't have one of those side burners, unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
What kind of oil are you frying in? Make sure it is a high smoke point oil and not extra virgin olive oil which is about the worst oil for frying

I use grapeseed oil which is not supposed to smoke/burn easily, although I'm hearing it's not the healthiest. Any suggestions? Sunflower oil maybe? Avocado?

We also use grape seed oil to fry with. I was looking into getting a portable induction burner to fry outside or in the garage with. It would making cleaning a lot easier too. Just wipe and go.

Peanut oil is supposed to have a high smoking point making it good for frying but am unable to find it in larger bottles. Not sure how unhealthy it is though. We buy our grape seed oil in 3L jugs.

Peanut oil is available here in 3 gallon plastic-bag-in-box crates for $28 at walmart around thanksgiving.

Single gallons are $11 or $12.

To be clear, I don't think you should fry on that camp stove, it would be wobbly and unsafe. Though you could probably try a couple donuts.
20.gif

Nah, they make 40 quart whatsamajiggers that stand on tripods meant for the middle of your driveway-- they'll suck a 20lb propane tank dry in a few hours. I got mine to start sap for syrup but then discovered it also fries turkeys.

Anyway, Hank Hill would be proud of your foray into propane and propane accessories.

I do the same with a side burner on the grill. I'll do that in the summer when I don't want all that heat in the house either. Propane probably costs more than the electricity for AC, but it does keep the smells out. I have terrible kitchen ventilation too, just a recirculating vent fan.

I have one of those style stoves but a dual fuel model. It is rusty and well used, but the flame control on that old Coleman is something I can not replicate on the new stoves.

Good idea to keep your place odor free.

Id buy a fryer base, something like this:

bayou-classic-sq14-l.jpg

And cook on cast iron outdoors all the time if I had that issue.

We dont cook stuff that stinks the house up much, but we had a big vent fan where the old range was, and we relocated the vent where the new range is. No issues. I like to cook, especially soups, in the winter indoors, since it adds heat and humidity in the home.

My wife doesn't like cooking/frying anything outside her kitchen, anything cooking/grilling outside the kitchen is my job. If she fries something we need to open all the windows so that the dining and family rooms don't smell so bad. We don't get below 60-65F until after 6-7 PM, so open windows when my wife cooking late afternoon isn't so bad.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Kitchen ventillation at our current place sucks badly.

I'm just curious-is there a reason why you can't correct the issues with the kitchen ventilation? A decent vent hood combined with proper exhaust shouldn't be difficult to install, and you won't have to go outside every time you want to really cook.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Kitchen ventillation at our current place sucks badly.

I'm just curious-is there a reason why you can't correct the issues with the kitchen ventilation? A decent vent hood combined with proper exhaust shouldn't be difficult to install, and you won't have to go outside every time you want to really cook.

I'm sure lots of kitchens don't have the stove on an outside wall, which might make retro fitting a big job... I do like ours vented outside, as it lets you know when lunch or dinner is going to be ready when you are outside.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

This is at our rental apt. These units have not been designed to vent to the outside. Any modifications are out of the question.

i use olive oil for light frying and peanut oil for jobs requiring prolonged and high heat temps.

i was recently given a bottle of pecan oil and am really enjoying using that for any light to general frying jobs. I also notice that the pecan oil is doing a real good job on my cast iron pots and pans.

my home is sealed pretty good and i usually have to crack 2 windows in my kitchen along with the vent hood to keep the odors down.

I myself just can't handle the smells and odors, it gives me a feeling I can't explain so I support your out door cooking adventures whole heartedly.

enjoy,

jc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back