Texaco in Guatemala with Techron

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMAG0487.jpg

IMAG0488.jpg

Visiting parents here and dad usually goes to some random Guatemalan gas station. Driving by Texaco and this is what they advertised.

87 and 95 both with techron. You think this is the same as top tier requirements in the USA?

95 octane seems high. Unless it is a different rating system.

Price is the same as the private Guatemalan station, I told him to try out a few tanks of the premium Texaco gas.

Used in a 2001 Toyota landcruiser which calls for premium fuel only.

Last edited:
Huh? And you told him to try out a few tanks of the premium - was he having issues with the regular? I'm not following your point...

lol, con jalapenos! That's more Mexican - Guatemalan's don't really do jalapenos.

$20.99 Quetzales = $2.74 Dollars - not too bad.

LOL... translation of last image, 'Techron premium & plus, at NO ADDITIONAL COST'

Interesting. All Texaco stations became nice "Puma" brand (esso as well I think) in the vi. The texaco name holds a lot of value in SA/caribbean, so Ursa is commonly still distributed all over with a chevron name.

You sure?
the pump lists 87 and 95 octane...
95 RON is like 91 AKI.
87 RON would be .... 83AKI? No way.
Engines would be blowing up everywhere.

Unless they are using both octane rating systems. Ha

Their first response

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry concerning the octane rating and Techron content of Texaco gasoline in Guatemala. The amount of Techron in our gasoline in Guatemala is the same for all grades, and exceeds the TOP TIER requirement. The octane rating systems in Guatemala and the United States are different, with Guatemala using a Research Octane Number (RON) system and the United States using an AKI (Antiknock Index) system. We recommend that our Guatemalan customers consult their owner’s manuals and vehicle dealers to decide which grade of Texaco gasoline to use. You may find detailed information on octane ratings in our Motor Gasoline Technical Review, which is available from our website at:

http://www.chevron.com/documents/pdf/MotorGasTechReview.pdf

Sincerely,

Chevron Fuels Technical Service

I wrote back asking what their gas was in approximate AKI
And they responded with..

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your follow-up question. The premium product in Guatemala is somewhat comparable to an 89 octane minimum; and the regular product is somewhat comparable to an 83 octane minimum. Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras and Costa Rica have harmonized their gasoline specifications under Reglamento Technico Centroamerica (RTCA). Thus the selected octane ratings were intended to meet the various needs of the regional populations.

Sincerely,

No way the regular down there is 83 AKI?? They are at about 5700 feet above sea level which may be ok with a lower actual octane but still many parts of the country are at sea level only an hour away from my parents house.

PING!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I wrote back asking what their gas was in approximate AKI
And they responded with..

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your follow-up question. The premium product in Guatemala is somewhat comparable to an 89 octane minimum; and the regular product is somewhat comparable to an 83 octane minimum. Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras and Costa Rica have harmonized their gasoline specifications under Reglamento Technico Centroamerica (RTCA). Thus the selected octane ratings were intended to meet the various needs of the regional populations.

Sincerely,

No way the regular down there is 83 AKI?? They are at about 5700 feet above sea level which may be ok with a lower actual octane but still many parts of the country are at sea level only an hour away from my parents house.

PING!

What's so hard to understand? Products sold in local markets are always built to the requirements for those markets. While there are a lot of multivoltage devices available, most larger appliances a designed for a specific plug and a specific voltage range. If 83 AKI fuel is the standard for regular unleaded, then it's pretty simple that vehicles sold there will be able to use it without damage.

In the case of modern EFI engines, it's pretty easy to program them for different fuels, and knock sensors will kick in even if they didn't. Of course that ends up seriously affecting performance, but that's the way it is.

How is Guatemala different than the USA?

Half of the cars there are from the USA anyway...
Speedos in miles not km, full bumpers, power locks, brakes, don't have to hold the door handle to lock door, etc

for example in the USA rocky mountain area minimum is 85 AKI guatemala city is lower than denver.

Can you show me some manuals of any new cars that spec 83 AKI?
thanks

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
How is Guatemala different than the USA?

Half of the cars there are from the USA anyway...
Speedos in miles not km, full bumpers, power locks, brakes, don't have to hold the door handle to lock door, etc

for example in the USA rocky mountain area minimum is 85 AKI guatemala city is lower than denver.

Can you show me some manuals of any new cars that spec 83 AKI?
thanks

It's a bit hard for me to figure out what keywords to search since I don't understand much Spanish. However, it's not that difficult to understand that vehicles can be built differently for different markets, whether it's different parts to meet certain safety standards or a simple electronic remapping. Heck - there are cars sold with "50-state emissions" along with cars that aren't authorized for sale in California because of emissions. It would be a simple electronic tune to deal with lower octane ratings.

Regardless of all that, the base fuel in Central America probably comes from local refineries, which are notorious for putting out bad fuel. It contains contaminants and possibly fuel that's well below the posted octane rating.

http://amcostaricaarchives.com/2012/12/gasoline-octane-found-to-be-lower-than-needed/

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Brybo86 said:

PING!

Quote:

What's so hard to understand? Products sold in local markets are always built to the requirements for those markets. While there are a lot of multivoltage devices available, most larger appliances a designed for a specific plug and a specific voltage range. If 83 AKI fuel is the standard for regular unleaded, then it's pretty simple that vehicles sold there will be able to use it without damage.

In the case of modern EFI engines, it's pretty easy to program them for different fuels, and knock sensors will kick in even if they didn't. Of course that ends up seriously affecting performance, but that's the way it is.

Exactly, a few changes in the ECU timing and viola, I also bet that even many brand new vehicles down there do not have catalytic converters either.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Brybo86 said:

PING!

Quote:

Exactly, a few changes in the ECU timing and viola, I also bet that even many brand new vehicles down there do not have catalytic converters either.

ECU timing isn't taking away the compression ratio though. There's only so much timing you can pull and a lot of modern engines spec "regular" while having much higher compression ratios than in the past. The new 5.0L Ford (11:1) for example as well as many econobox 4-bangers. The 5.7L HEMI was 9.5:1 and called for "regular" with mid-grade being "recommended". It would likely ping like mad on 83 octane.

My thought would be that the "solution" for that is that these types of vehicles, ones that call for regular here but with high compression ratios, would have to call for "premium" there to not self destruct
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back