My new ride. Left over 2013 SV CC 2wd Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
This truck gets a lot of hate mainly because it is the oldest half ton out currently. My guess is the people who talk bad about them have never driven one. Despite being the oldest, the power is there despite what the numbers say on paper. Underrated at 317 HP it does out pace the 14 model Ford 5.0, and GM 5.3 when loaded up mainly because all of it's 385 ft lbs are available at 3400 rpm vs the other 2 needing over 4000 revs to make the same torque.

It isn't as fuel efficient as the new offerings, but it's not my daily so not a concern for me.
Truck was never sold, but the dealer put 5700 miles on it. Had a sticker of $37,500.
I left after ALL fees for $25,560. Very happy with that. 100k warranty too.

Not the most powerful 1/2 ton, but certainly not at the bottom like some people think because of it's paper 317 HP rating. GM ,and Ford's 6.2 are really the only 1/2 tons with significantly more power. The Ecoboost has more as well. The higher on paper rated Tundra ,and Hemi seem to be very close in towing test I've seen.

Last edited:
I like them better than the new offerings with the giant grilles. A friend of mine has had two Titans (the first was totaled) and he loves them. He drives all over the state to job sites and hasn't had any issues with it. A very nice truck in my opinion.

All that counts is that it serves your needs and you can afford it. Beyond that I wouldn't care what other people say or think about it.

Looks to be a very nice pickup.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
All that counts is that it serves your needs and you can afford it. Beyond that I wouldn't care what other people say or think about it.

Looks to be a very nice pickup.

Very true. I'm not concerned with what people say. It is a very slow seller, because of its old age ,and misconceptions a lot of people have. I tried to use that for bargaining power, and dealers surprisingly were not willing to bargain much! I kept telling them they had 14 model trucks on the lot that were a year old! They didn't care.

I was looking at one particular new 14, and as the sales guy, and I were walking to the truck he asked if I wanted to take it that day. I said if the price was right. He asked what my price was, I low balled him bad with a 25k OTD figure for another $37,500 truck lol!

He stopped right there, and said I was wasting his time. Test drive didn't even happen.

I found other dealers willing to come down more, but still not where I knew I could be with a little patience. The initial 25k offer was a starting point. No big deal. Looking forward to driving the one I got to that dealer next week to pick some trans fluid up. I will make sure to park it out front!

That's an exceptional price! That truck will last you a long time.

Congrats! As a side note-it's amazing how many dealers I have walked away from. They always say "you will never buy it at that price!" Guess what? I always have bought it at my price.

Enjoy your truck!

Originally Posted By: CKN
That's an exceptional price! That truck will last you a long time.

Congrats! As a side note-it's amazing how many dealers I have walked away from. They always say "you will never buy it at that price!" Guess what? I always have bought it at my price.

Enjoy your truck!

Thanks, and you're right! I was willing to pay a little more for a 14 with no miles, and some of their counter offers were fair, but I was only willing to buy if it was what I consider a great deal since ultimately I didn't need a new truck.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How long is that bed? Can you haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood with the tailgate down?

I believe its 5.5 ft. A 4x8 sheet will haul with no issues. I work for a Roofing Supplier, and have seen several customers load up multiple sheets with the tail gate down or with it up, and the sheets hanging over it.

$ 25 k is what most trucks should sell for...

And, seriously, how much is a new truck these days... between employee pricing, end of year clearance sales, 12k off this one 10k off that one.... diesel at "no charge..." etc etc... MSRP means nothing.

I like the clean handsome design these have, and MY, that is a good price. Enjoy and congrats!

Can't beat a great deal. I'd get some amsoil SVG in the rear though, aren't these known for overheating diffs?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Can't beat a great deal. I'd get some amsoil SVG in the rear though, aren't these known for overheating diffs?
the first ones did.they used a d44 rear axle.its a very good axle but was never designed with 300+HP in mind. The fix was a finned aluminum cover to help dissipate heat.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Already planned to install Amsoil SVG 75w140, and Amsoil in the engine when I hit 7,000 miles.
Early Titans definitely had rear axle issues. I think it was more than just the axle design causing failures. Weak leaf springs caused excessive axle wrap as well.

The Armada's had the same gear set, but I have yet to hear of those failing although I'm sure some are out there. They have IRS outback.

They have changed a few things with the axles over the years. Bigger axle shafts with more splines. Went from a 2 spider to 4 spider design as well as some seal changes, and a much more stout rear leaf setup. ( 2015 lb payload )

The finned cover was also one of the changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: geeman789
$ 25 k is what most trucks should sell for...

And, seriously, how much is a new truck these days... between employee pricing, end of year clearance sales, 12k off this one 10k off that one.... diesel at "no charge..." etc etc... MSRP means nothing.

I don't know where you have shopped for trucks, but well equipped new 1/2 tons or even near new ones don't go quite that low. The Domestic name plates do offer big rebates in the 10-12k range, but its on trucks that are 50k+ on the sticker.

25k today gets you a base trim. Mid level if you're lucky. No one should be paying MSRP, but it's a starting point. I was very surprised at how hard it was to get the deal I got as I expected them in the beginning to come off 10k without trying since these trucks are slow sellers.
Toyota is extremely proud of their trucks. Don't expect to pay 25k for a new Tundra!

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I like the clean handsome design these have, and MY, that is a good price. Enjoy and congrats!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back