Need generator starter , can't determine right one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kohler Confident 4 4KW RV genset 1996 era

Model 4CKM21
Spec. 101322
Serial 406790

Need starter motor due to starter drive not engaging. Could just be lubrication, or the drive, but I just want to replace it. Does anybody know the correct starter number, and are any of the cheap imports any good?

It seems some people buying "genuine Kohler" starters on the internet (at triple the price of cheap) are getting shipped off branded cheap ones anyway. I guess I'll pull it out tomorrow and see if lubing it will help, as it is only an intermittent problem.

If the solenoid is the culprit, more lube probably won't work. Since you're in SoCal, hopefully you can find an old school starter rebuilder, no doubt a dying breed. Otherwise, I'd pay more for the genuine article from a Kohler generator dealer.

I wish I'd installed a Kohler instead of a Generac at my residence. 2006 Generac=Junk.

So does it just spin? Does a solenoid pull the gear in or is it a "bendix" type thing where a drag clip hauls a gear down a spinny doohickey?

If the latter you can tighten the clip so it works closer to new.

Sorry been gone for a while. To answer the questions,
No solenoid on the starter, so I assume the torque of the start up forces the bendix up the shaft, possibly with the mentioned drag clip and spinny doohickey
smile.gif

Sometimes it just spins without the bendix engaging the flywheel teeth. Other times it works just fine. I still have not pulled it out to check. Will get to it in the next few days. Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
If the solenoid is the culprit, more lube probably won't work. Since you're in SoCal, hopefully you can find an old school starter rebuilder, no doubt a dying breed. Otherwise, I'd pay more for the genuine article from a Kohler generator dealer.

I wish I'd installed a Kohler instead of a Generac at my residence. 2006 Generac=Junk.

I think the name Generac does not necessarily mean quality. They have many lines. I think Kohler and even Winco are better than Generac's best line.

Last edited:
Had a Generac 80 kW at one of the telecom huts I'm responsible for. Due to the volume and type of equipment inside, we need a significant amount of HVAC. Whenever there would be a commercial mains failure, the Generac would sag and droop and even occasionally stall when the HVAC kicked in. Replaced the Generac with a 100 kW CAT and it doesn't even bat an eyelash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back