HF black 11 drawer tool cabinet? (with photo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm idly looking for a tool cabinet. The black 11 drawer tool cabinet caught my eye. Use would be typical homeowner, or it sits with tools in it waiting for the twice a month it would get opened. None of the drawers would be that heavily loaded, either. Is it decent for my intended use, or should I run screaming?

image_20242.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storag...inet-67421.html

It great for the price. I work at a dealership & there's a guy there with that box & matching toolcart. Work great as long as you don't have too much weight in the drawers.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
That looks nice, but do the drawers latch shut?

There's no positive detent or anything to keep them closed. There's some sort of locking mechanism, but nothing aside from friction keeps them from opening when unlocked and tilted. I'm not sure how much of a problem this would be in a level garage with a stationary unit.

Looks like I'll need to stop by HF and take a look. See if it's decent in person.

I have that exact model. Wait for it to be $150 at a sidewalk sale. IIRC I pre-greased the drawer sliders when I got it-- they don't have ball bearings, but it doesn't matter that much.

If you want more "cred" you can watch yard sales for a 26" craftsman from 30 years ago.

Also check out Lowes/HD for post holiday clearance boxes.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I have that exact model. Wait for it to be $150 at a sidewalk sale. IIRC I pre-greased the drawer sliders when I got it-- they don't have ball bearings, but it doesn't matter that much.

If you want more "cred" you can watch yard sales for a 26" craftsman from 30 years ago.

Also check out Lowes/HD for post holiday clearance boxes.

If it's good enough to live in your garage, it's definitely overkill for mine!

I scored some fairly old roller drawers at a yard sale last summer that have nicely organized my fluids and detailing supplies. So they're definitely out there in this area if I'm patient enough.

That isn't going to hold a lot of tools. Over the years you will out grow it I suspect. I recommend buying the largest tool box you can afford and have room for, even if you cannot fill it up right now. Check out Home Depot also, they have some nice boxes, cheaper than Harbor Freight. I just bought a black 56" roller chest and top box combo for $598 at Home Depot. For the money, it blows everything else away.

The construction of this chest is flimsy at best. Metal thin and bearings weak. Get the U.S. General, mine is over three years old and is as good as the day I got it. It is however twice the price of about 360 IIRC.

Check out your local pawn stores, I saw a huge one Saturday for approx. $200. It was in fine shape also, Snap-On, IIRC.

I'm fighting space and financial considerations. Space much more than financial, as I don't have a lot of room in my garage to put a tool cabinet. What's appealing about this one is that it can be broken up into 3 pieces, and the bottom piece can fit into a spot under my workbench while the two others can live on top.

^

That is a very nice box. I have checked it out at Harbor Freight. I cannot attest to the wheels/rollers though.

The drawers feel nicer than my Craftsman I got at Sears for about the same price 4 years ago.......the Craftsman may still be made by Waterloo, an American company!

i have had the black unit for about 3 years now, use lithium grease on the drawer slides. its an excellent toolbox and i have mine very much overweight and its holding fine.

I have the red box that was posted above. I have it pretty heavily loaded and move it a lot (i'm an auto tech student) and it has been great. Harbor Freight toolboxes are one of their gems that they got right.

Originally Posted By: Donald
One review said "flimsy" and thats probably it. Maybe 25 lbs per drawer max load.

I'm not sure I would approach that level of tools per drawer. Maybe over time, but not right now or in the next few years.

I don't need this thing immediately, so waiting for a better used one to come along is also an option.

Save yourself the headache and make sure you buy a box with ball bearing sliders. Anything less will [censored] you off in the long run. Even greasing them gets old and once again, you will be [censored] off.

I own the 13 drawer us general version which has been excellent for a few years now. The only negative thing is that I am not running out of space but I have to limit the box to only holding tools, not random stuff like wood screws in the bottom drawer or etc....

Bringing this to a close:

I took the advice of many of you, and waited for a ball-bearing tool cab in my price range. My local Sears was running a special last week on their 9-drawer ball-bearing slider combo (4-drawer base and 5-drawer top box, both US-assembled) for $178. Regular price $340. I asked nicely and they honored the discontinued special price. It's a much nicer box for the price, and should hold just as many tools. Having some US involvement in its manufacture is a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back