Accord PS return hose leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
4423270.gif

The leaks at #14 in the above diagram, where the hose meets the PS cooling line (#16). Replacement seems as easy as draining the reservoir, undoing the clamps, pulling out the hose and inserting a new one. I think I'll change out the clamps as well for good measure.

Anything I'm missing?

Last edited:
You can use a turkey baster (get one just for garage use!) or extractor to remove the PS fluid from the reservoir to make it a less messy job.

Originally Posted By: mtndew_dad
You can use a turkey baster (get one just for garage use!) or extractor to remove the PS fluid from the reservoir to make it a less messy job.

Yep, going to use a turkey baster to evacuate the reservoir first.

You might consider replacing the #8 hose while you're at it. It's cheap and could prevent future problems with air entering the pump.

We had similarish leaks on 3 of my cars ( I maintain 9 in the family) and long story short, it was never the hoses but always the pump, and because of the serpentine belt running, it would sling oil everywhere making it look like a hose leak.

If you can't get the actual hose you can probably use a length of 3/8" TOC (transmission oil cooler) hose, which would be easier to find.

edit: obviously only on the return side!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
We had similarish leaks on 3 of my cars ( I maintain 9 in the family) and long story short, it was never the hoses but always the pump, and because of the serpentine belt running, it would sling oil everywhere making it look like a hose leak.
Had similar problem on the 2004 Corolla. What a mess, had to wash the area down to isolate the leak. It was the lower PS hose connection. A new clamp solved it.

Yeah, you've got it. Common problem on many accords and civics. The o-ring making the return line connection was a poor design. A newer ring is available at Honda for about a buck. I'd make sure I used that o-ring.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Had similar problem on the 2004 Corolla. What a mess, had to wash the area down to isolate the leak. It was the lower PS hose connection. A new clamp solved it.

lol nice, the clamps were all in great condition, none of them wanted to squeeze and move either.

Good stuff everyone. I'm also going to take a look at hose #8 to the pump and most likely replace that as well for good measure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlayman
Yeah, you've got it. Common problem on many accords and civics. The o-ring making the return line connection was a poor design. A newer ring is available at Honda for about a buck. I'd make sure I used that o-ring.

There is a TSB on the V6's for the inlet joint o-ring where hose #8 meets the PS pump. Mine is a 4-cyl and I don't have any pump moans/groans - a sign on the V6's that the o-ring is bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back