Diesel Prices Falling Faster than Gasoline Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all depends on when you start tracking

Gas went from nearly 4$ last june/july to 1.68$-1.90

Diesel was 4$ at the same time.

Now locally I have a spread from $2.39 to $2.93

so its falling like a rock which is great but I doubt any transportation companies lower their prices soon.

Last edited:
I asked a local oil company why home heating oil had not come down also. It has but not much. He could not answer.

If I take diesel and subtract 50 cents for taxes I should come close to the price for home heating oil. But home heating oil seems to be the same price roughly as diesel.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I asked a local oil company why home heating oil had not come down also. It has but not much. He could not answer.

If I take diesel and subtract 50 cents for taxes I should come close to the price for home heating oil. But home heating oil seems to be the same price roughly as diesel.

Here they just give us #2 diesel with some anti gel added for heating oil. Prices locally are $2.79 to $3.25 for diesel at the pump. I don't know if that is #1 or #2 though.

We just got a delivery of oil last week.
It was a friendly $2.54/gal, lower than it's been in at least a few years.
I'm not sure what diesel is selling for locally, but when I owned diesel cars, nobody was delivering it to my house for the prevailing pump price.
There is a cost associated with having to have a tanker truck roll and a guy unrolling a hose and pumping the fuel into our tank, kind of like you paid more to have the milkman deliver milk than you could get it for at a local store.
Yes, when I was growing up, we had milk delivered as well as large cans of potato chips and pretzels.

Only because gasoline prices fell first, and have neared the bottom (for now). Diesel has been running a full 1.30 a gallon more for months in this area. Only recently has the gap narrowed to under a $1.

Originally Posted By: Rand

so its falling like a rock which is great but I doubt any transportation companies lower their prices soon.

Dang $1.90 a gal for gas? Here it is $2.50 still. In fact I filled up yesterday for $2.55
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: Donald

Here they just give us #2 diesel with some anti gel added for heating oil. Prices locally are $2.79 to $3.25 for diesel at the pump. I don't know if that is #1 or #2 though.
The "anti-gel" is likely just kerosene.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Rand

Dang $1.90 a gal for gas? Here it is $2.50 still. In fact I filled up yesterday for $2.55
mad.gif

The cheaper stations around here are now up to $1.87, from a low of $1.75
I'm guessing that the recent uptick has more to do with the weather and a refinery accident than it does with the price of crude.
I saw gas as high as $2.09 last week.
Kind of funny that we now find prices high that we would have considered a killer deal just a few months back.

Diesel fuel prices are all over the place here. Lowest I see on gasbuddy in my area is 2.83 The highest is 3.49

I know last winter it was hanging pretty solid at 3.89 or so a gallon at the stations I frequent. Those same stations are at 3.19 now.

Gas on the other hand is under $2 a gallon.

Speedway raised the price of unleaded from $1.9x to $2.29 just over a week ago here in Lexington. Today they are finally back down below $2. Meanwhile, Costco stayed around $1.90 per gallon the whole time, and they take new deliveries frequently. Tell me Speedway isn't a scam station.

They will go back up when the reason for the price drop has been achieved. As most consumer products all seems to be monopolized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back