How important is the FIAT 9.55535-S2 spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Where in an engine does an oil get cooked in a glass container at over 300C?

The water boils in 100C, but it does not mean that it does not start evaporating when it's over 0C...
In the turbo engine oil can get as hot as 300C for short periods of time and while in here cooking lasted for an hour or so, in the engine the process lasts for days and months.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
M1 0w-40 is one of the most certified oils on the planet,and pennzoil with their gtl base is class leading.
So I'm not sure what better products you think are out there because there aren't.

It's because you say so or their marketing dept. say so?
smile.gif
They are to meet the specs. BARELY meet them. Every penny of per litre savings it worth millions in their case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cuore_Sportivo
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Where in an engine does an oil get cooked in a glass container at over 300C?

The water boils in 100C, but it does not mean that it does not start evaporating when it's over 0C...
In the turbo engine oil can get as hot as 300C for short periods of time and while in here cooking lasted for an hour or so, in the engine the process lasts for days and months.

What about stopping engine wear, keeping surfaces apart, keeping Pistons clean and handling dirt/combustion products/fuel/acids. All within an environment of various pressures and temperatures full of metallic catalysts ?

Exactly so who cares how it looks after the test. The oil is held at high temperature for long periods which also isnt representative of an engine.

There are plenty of bench tests designed to assess oxidation performance. For example the TEOST which is part of API. Don't think this is the only test ever made up. It certainly isn't and the tests used in the industry have been developed and agreed by additive companies, OEMs and oil companies.

It's not really a base oil test either as Magnatec 10W-40 does very well.

Finally some of the products in this test have the same formulation but very difference results. So I would question the repeatability of this method.

It's strange how cheaper oils often perform better than more expensive, top of the range olis from same manufacturer in this experiment. For example Mobil 1000 looking better than synthetic Mobil 3000. This test is worthless IMO.

Last edited:
Good news for those interested by this spec:

I just discovered the existence of Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 AT-L, specifically made to meet the FIAT 955535-S2 spec.
The TDS I could find (2009, 2013) says C3/A3/B4 lowSAPS, pour point -39, VI 170, MB229.31, BMW LL04, meets requierements of Fiat 955535s2.

The bottles I saw ( when my car was serviced under warranty) look exactly like the new Shell Helix Ultra with PurePlus Tech, so the specs may have evolved since old '09/13 version.

It must be quite hard to find on the market, I presume. Saw it on some internet sites.
http://www.oil-store.co.uk/ShellHelixUltraATL-5W40-5L#.VTKzmNGvTMI

So this spec. is just FIAT version of low saps oil....I will not bother and will use any low saps oil on the market available.

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: zveroboy

Probably. And if Shell Helix Ultra AT-L 5W-40 was available in Poland, I'd pick it. But it isn't
frown.gif
. Still, this one is only MB 229.31 approved.

http://hand.net.pl/oleje/shell-helix-ultra-at-l-5w-40/

All things considered Selenia KPE is better oil than this Shell with better MB 229.51 specification. I just wouldn't go full OCI on it, or any other oil for that matter in a car I own.

Selenia KPE MA is almost twice the price of others.
But it's the only one with FIAT 9.55535-s2 AND MB229.51
However, I don't find it on the official MB229.51 list of approuvals (your link)! Too récent, maybe?
laugh.gif

If it's not there, it's not approved. Period. Same goes for Motul 8100 X-clean 5W-40 that claims MB Approval in the PDS, but the oil is not on the list (5W-30 is).

@chrisri: at this moment, kpe is still nowhere to be found on the official MB229.51 list...
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.51_en.html

I would never use this, for this reason.

Selenia KPE MA is almost twice the price of others.
But it's the only one with FIAT 9.55535-s2 AND MB229.51
However, I don't find it on the official MB229.51 list of approuvals (your link)! Too récent, maybe?
laugh.gif

If it's not there, it's not approved. Period. Same goes for Motul 8100 X-clean 5W-40 that claims MB Approval in the PDS, but the oil is not on the list (5W-30 is).

@chrisri: at this moment, kpe is still nowhere to be found on the official MB229.51 list...
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.51_en.html

I would never use this, for this reason.

Probably it's just that list isn't updated. There's no way Selenia would claim false approval against MB. Selenia is waaay to serious brend to do that, even today under Petronas oils are still being made in Italy, without outsourcing.

"Last update 04/09/2015" It's updated monthly or every two months.
Sad but true. They're not the only ones. Read back this topic, please, a few pages back, there are some other examples.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back