Strange Brake Pad Issue - Solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several months ago, I had some time and decided to do an early front brake job on my Prius. The pads had about 3.5mm remaining so they definitely could have quite a while longer, but I decided to do them anyway.

For this job, I had used Genuine Toyota Pads, a new Genuine Toyota shim kit and Centric Premium Rotors.

Shortly after the front brake job was done, I noticed a very strange wear pattern on the outer face of the left-front rotor. (Note: The inner face of the left-front rotor was fine, and the right-front rotor had no issues at all)

Untitled by thecritic89, on Flickr

Here's another look:

So I removed the pads and re-checked the hardware - but found no issues. After taking a close look at the pad, I think I found the issue:

From what I could tell, the top edge of the friction material was crumbling. So I called my awesome parts guy at the dealer, who then he gave me a new set of pads, and told me to return the old ones at my convenience.

After the swap and about 2,000 miles of driving, it appears that the problem has been resolved.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

Last edited:
I've had this happen to my rotors almost immediately, with numerous aftermarket pads including ceramic pads. Although, I didn't remove the pads for inspection and therefore I lived with them till they wore out and were ready to be replaced. Then, I replaced everything again(pads/rotors).

That doesn't look good (the brake pad). I just replaced the pads on our dad's 2006 Tundra using Genuine Toyota Pads last week. I was thinking they might be better quality than what was available from the auto store. I'll keep an eye on them. Hopefully that problem doesn't extend to the Tundra pads. Thanks for the heads-up.

The rotors looked great when I worked on the pads. They were the original pads, our dad bought his Tundra new, so, 8 years later, and 99, 847 miles, the rotors and pads were in good shape. I was impressed because our dad is not a gentle driver by any means (and he towed a travel trailer several times, two times were cross country and back). The original pads still had some life in them too, but I changed them anyway.

Last edited:
I have not used any factory brake pads since the days of semi-metallics, and been carefully shopping for aftermarket ones.

I've been using Wagner OE Spec ceramics, Akebono ProACTS and/or Monroe ceramics, no issues for me for the past 10+yrs.

Good luck.

Q.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Are the new pads an Akebono products?

OP said these are Toyota OEM pads.

They are Genuine Toyota pads, but are supplied by Advics.

I have not seen that on any of my toyota (or other) pads. I've never done a Prius though, they may have a unique low drag pad compound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back