Irregular tire shoulder wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed the pictured wear on one tire of the Burb today. It was only on about an 8 to 10 inch strip on the top section of this tire only. The tire has been on the passenger rear corner for 7 months and 6,500 miles and was last rotated by America (Discount) Tire, so I assume it was on the driver side front prior to the rotation. I had the alignment done about 45 days before the tires were rotated due to excessive outer shoulder wear, which you can probably also see in this photo. I could not find anything similar on any other part of this tire or on any other tires.

PART951421532815300952015011795141220_zpsw46m0h5d.jpg

PART_1421532799638_20150117_141227_zps6tdwzgcr.jpg

What could be going on and what can I do (if anything) to address it? The rear tires are about down to the wear bars on the outside shoulders but have a ways to go in the middles and inner shoulders. The fronts were purchased several thousand miles after the rears and have 10k+ miles left on them so I would like to run these for another 6 months/5k miles if I can, at which time I will replace all four so the next set matches.

Well, I just noticed that the tread section of the tire is actually bulged out right there. Is this tire done for? Should I swap it with the spare and take this one in under a defect warranty? Not sure how old the tire is, but I think it might still be warrantied.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Well, I just noticed that the tread section of the tire is actually bulged out right there. Is this tire done for? Should I swap it with the spare and take this one in under a defect warranty? Not sure how old the tire is, but I think it might still be warrantied.

Get that tire off yesterday. The tire place should never have put that back on your car. What model tire is it?

Looks like broken belts, but whatever the cause, that tire is done for.

As far as warranty, manufacturer defect warranties have a time limit and are prorated based on tread. It looks like there's almost no tread left on the tire, so I would expect little or nothing for warranty. But, I can't really tell that much from the pic.

Originally Posted By: dlayman

Get that tire off yesterday. The tire place should never have put that back on your car. What model tire is it?

Falken ZX something or other. Two were on the vehicle when I bought it and the other two needed to be replaced so I picked up a pair of the same. Want to see what was happening to its twin, which I just noticed as well?

20150117_165339_zpslmbfoiqx.jpg

I am at America's Tire right now getting four new Michelin LTX M/S2 in the OE size (the aspect ratio of the Falkens were 5 over stock) for $690 out the door, including certificate. Definitely an upgrade and what I was planning to switch to (or its successor) when the Falkens were worn out. I guess it just happened sooner than planned!

I will now be putting all four tires in the air and giving them a good once-over at each oil change!

Originally Posted By: HangFire
That's a good deal for shoeing a Burb with Michelin's. I bet you're going to be happy with that tire. Love them on our Pilot.

They were able to warranty two of the tires, which knocked $210 off the bill. I will be giving the store a great review on Yelp and Google. I showed up 30 minutes before closing, the counter guy took his time to work with me to see what he could do with warranties, buy-backs, discounts, etc. It came down to four Yokohama YK-HTX for $540 (buy 2, get 2 free, no warranties for the Falkens) or the Michelins for $690. BITOG has had nothing but good thing to say about the LTX M/S2 and the only review for the Yokohamas I could find quickly was very negative and was coincidentally for my application of an '02 Burb and mostly highway use.

In the 3 miles I have put on the Michelins thus far I have been impressed. I can't make any judgements on traction, comfort, or treadlife, but they are noticeably quieter than the Falkens, which were pretty noisy almost from the start. The 20+ mile drive home with the Burb fully loaded with the family, I might have something to comment on in regards to comfort.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
That's a good deal for shoeing a Burb with Michelin's. I bet you're going to be happy with that tire. Love them on our Pilot.

They were able to warranty two of the tires, which knocked $210 off the bill. I will be giving the store a great review on Yelp and Google. I showed up 30 minutes before closing, the counter guy took his time to work with me to see what he could do with warranties, buy-backs, discounts, etc., all of the techs stuck around to team up and finish off my car at about 30 minutes after closing, and they seemed to take their time to do it right (I watched through the window).

It came down to four Yokohama YK-HTX for $540 (buy 2, get 2 free, no warranties for the Falkens) or the Michelins for $690. BITOG has had nothing but good thing to say about the LTX M/S2 and the only review for the Yokohamas I could find quickly was very negative and was coincidentally for my application of an '02 Burb and mostly highway use.

In the 3 miles I have put on the Michelins thus far I have been impressed. I can't make any judgements on traction, comfort, or treadlife, but they are noticeably quieter than the Falkens, which were pretty noisy almost from the start. The 20+ mile drive home with the Burb fully loaded with the family, I might have something to comment on in regards to comfort.

Oops, hit "Quote" instead of "Edit" and it won't let me delete this one. The change was the addition of "all of the techs stuck around to team up and finish off my car at about 30 minutes after closing, and they seemed to take their time to do it right (I watched through the window)" to the end of the 3rd sentance.

Last edited:
Awesome service!

Do the shop a favor, if they're not on Yelp already don't put them on it. If they're already there, you can weigh in.

Reason is, trashed one chain shop for gross incompetance on Yelp, their first review, and put the first review on my favorite shop that fixed it right. A week later both my reviews were hidden, the bad shop had a bogus good review, good shop had a bogus bad review and the owner got the Yelp shakedown to fix the problem.

If that vehicle has front end problems Michelin tires won't cure it. I'd have somebody look over the entire front end of the Suburban.

Last edited:
Discount Tire (same as America's Tire) has treated me well too.

I had the same thing happen to my Camry last summer.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3399698/So_THAT%27S_why_there%27s_a_wobble

Originally Posted By: CKN
If that vehicle has front end problems Michelin tires won't cure it. I'd have somebody look over the entire front end of the Suburban.

I had the alignment done at an alignment and brake shop due to the outer shoulder wear, which I did not see manifest on the tires that were on the front for the past 7,000 miles, so all should be good there. The two bad tires were condemned today due to tire issues, not front end issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back