Experts - Diagnose Engine Knock&belt area noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOG mechanical experts,

With considerable time investment, i have learnt quite a bit from this forum. So, I also spend time, trying to give back to this forum things that i have found in my research lately (on other threads).

Currently, I am trying to fix a bunch of things in my car and get it back to shape. My priority is to change Valve cover gasket that is leaking and to fix the noise that is coming from my engine compartment. I have uploaded two videos below, showing the noise with cold engine in morning. I can distinguish two types of noises:

• The noise from valve cover area, which starts prominantly showing up in the video titled "Engine-Noise", at around 50 seconds onwards.
  • The second noise that seems to originate when camera moves to "Alternator/Drive belt area" in the second video. You can see the change in audio at 20 seconds onwards, when camera moves to engine top cover, and again at end (camera near belt)
  • Link to Videos & some other pics of my car

I have watched a bunch of videos on youtube regarding these two noises/knocks. But i would like to get opinion from the experts in this forum, before i open up valve cover soon. This would be the first time i will be trying to open up the engine; but i think i am well prepared due to the long hours i have spent on youtube and internet. Any tips on the sources of these two noises is appreciated.

Sounds like it needs a new one. A new what? I don't know, but it definitely needs a new one.

Time for a redneck stethoscope get yourself a broom handle put it up to your ear put it on the bearing that might be burning out water pump alternator stuff like that you can hear it Just like doctor

The easiest way to isolate your noise would be to remove the drive belts, and allow the car to run for a few seconds to see if the noise goes away.

If it does, then you would have narrowed the noise down to a component within the accessory belt system.

Originally Posted By: mulehead
Time for a redneck stethoscope get yourself a broom handle put it up to your ear put it on the bearing that might be burning out water pump alternator stuff like that you can hear it Just like doctor

Or a piece of vacuum hose to your ear. That has worked for me. Or a real auto stethoscope is under 20 bucks.

Sounds like timing chain noise to me.

those years of the ka24de had chain guides, they removed the upper ones a couple of years later due to the complaints. lower chain guides need to stay in place but are known for breaking.

You can remove the chain guards yourself, while you are in there you may as well replace the tensioner.

Or...live with the noise.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The easiest way to isolate your noise would be to remove the drive belts, and allow the car to run for a few seconds to see if the noise goes away.

If it does, then you would have narrowed the noise down to a component within the accessory belt system.

Great idea. I was thinking of using a long piece of metal, as recommended in youtube videos that i had seen. Most of you guys seem to think the noise is in the drive belt area. Didn't anyone notice the increase in volume (at 50+ seconds in engine noise video) that came when camera was moving across the engine head area ? I thought there could be a valve related issue there with clearance or the valve rod being loose. I seem to distinguish two types of noises (2 separate problems).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back