0W30 Verses 5W30 weight oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm In a car engines oil disagreement with a club member and friend .
Isn't a zero weight for very cold temperature sates or country's and a 5 weight is for warmer states ,really why did the introduce a zero weight oil 0 W 20 or 0 W 40 and a 5 W 20 or 5 W 40

confused.gif

It isn't a zero weight, the zero is just an indication of the oil's performance at extreme cold temperatures. The number AFTER the W is the oil's weight. So a 0w-30 and a 5w-30 are both 30-weight multi-grade oils, with the zero having superior extreme cold performance.

Within a given grade (barring a few exclusive examples, thank you KrisZ) a 0w-xx will always be thinner below 0C than a 5w-xx. Or rather, a 0w-xx will thicken less from its operating viscosity to its CCS/MRV point than a 5w-xx
smile.gif

Very simply a 0WXX oil has a lower pour point than 5WXX, and is often lower viscosity when cold than 5WXX.

The second part of the number XW-30 or XW-40 is the high temperature viscosity.

Within a small range, a 10W-30, 5W-30, and 0W-30 will all have approximately the same high temperature (100C) viscosity when new. If you don't believe me, check this out:

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
It isn't a zero weight, the zero is just an indication of the oil's performance at extreme cold temperatures. The number AFTER the W is the oil's weight. So a 0w-30 and a 5w-30 are both 30-weight multi-grade oils, with the zero having superior extreme cold performance.

Within a given grade (barring a few exclusive examples, thank you KrisZ) a 0w-xx will always be thinner below 0C than a 5w-xx. Or rather, a 0w-xx will thicken less from its operating viscosity to its CCS/MRV point than a 5w-xx
smile.gif

Couldn't have said it any better.

A 0w30 can be used in Death Valley, California at 130 degrees just as well as a 10w30.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

smile.gif

Couldn't have said it any better.

A 0w30 can be used in Death Valley, California at 130 degrees just as well as a 10w30.

+1. I prefer using a 0w20 over a 5w20 even in the summer. There are always benefits.

Unless I move back to the Alaskan interior, I have no problem using a 5w30 in my pickup, year round even at the occasional -20F we get. Does a great job year round.

If 5W suits your climate, yu can certainly USE a 0W quite happily.

I'd rather a 5W, but that's just me.

What are the disadvantages of using a 0W30 vs 5W30? I just bought a new Ecoboost Mustang that calls for 5W30. After a lot of research, I'd decided to use Mobil 1 5W30 based on oil analysis from this site and independent wear test.

Would a 0W30 offer improved wear protection?

Thanks!

Jim

What kind of 'club' is this?
wink.gif

OW-xx viscosity oils are specified/approved by many manufacturers for use year-around (particularly in the U.S.A.) these days fwiw.

Originally Posted By: jholtz

Thanks!

Jim

If you are exploring -40F/C, the 0W might offer some improved protection.

Otherwise, all else being equal, no.

Oils with a higher point spread can have a higher NOACK volatility. That said M1EP 0w20 is what's in the wifey's car now. It seems to run smoother when the temp is below freezing on cold starts than it did with M1 5w20.

I used a bit of m1 0w30 when I mixed PUP 5w30 with Motor Oil Saver to help with car startup with the cold we had out here in the central plains and it ran fine. Only used 1/4 of a qt but I think its a good product.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Oils with a higher point spread can have a higher NOACK volatility. That said M1EP 0w20 is what's in the wifey's car now. It seems to run smoother when the temp is below freezing on cold starts than it did with M1 5w20.

Those cold starts in Texas must be brutal.

What are the disadvantages of using a 0W30 vs 5W30? I just bought a new Ecoboost Mustang that calls for 5W30. After a lot of research, I'd decided to use Mobil 1 5W30 based on oil analysis from this site and independent wear test.

Thanks!

Jim

Ur choice of 5w30 is plenty good for your mustang. 0w30 will not make the car run better or last longer than use of 5w30.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Thanks!

Jim

If you are exploring -40F/C, the 0W might offer some improved protection.

Otherwise, all else being equal, no.

Protection from a steady state hydrodynamic perspective, no. Protection from marginally faster pump -up and flow,migh less drag? Yes. That was the thinking behind the 5w vs 10w- switch,many it holds true for 0w, wi a bit of extra technology needed to get the viscosity characteristics right...

How do you get "marginally faster pump- up" when the oils are well within their pumpable range through a positive displacement pump ?

How do you get more flow when the pump is (again) positive displacement ?

And flow isn't "protection".

For any reasonable starting temperature that doesn't "need" 0W, M15w30 "wins" if the above are meaningful.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
How do you get "marginally faster pump- up" when the oils are well within their pumpable range through a positive displacement pump ?

How do you get more flow when the pump is (again) positive displacement ?

And flow isn't "protection".

For any reasonable starting temperature that doesn't "need" 0W, M15w30 "wins" if the above are meaningful.

That right there is what confuses me.
A positive displacement pump moves the same volume of oil with every rotation.
Yet I see posted daily that a thinner grade pumps faster. But it doesn't. Only the pressure changes,volume remains constant.
Or am I missing something.

You'll likely pump more through the bypass valve of the oil pump with a higher viscosity oil at startup. same goes for the oil filter bypass aswell.

I'd rather retain the higher levels of zinc and phos in standard M1 than in AFE. As an earlier poster smartly observed, our cars start fine in -20F with 5W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back