Piston slap? Cruze 1.4T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds exactly like mine on cold startup. 101k miles, and it's done that every time the thermometer is below about 40*F or so. The engine uses synthetic 5w-30.

Warming the engine makes the sounds reduce. There's much less noise when the aftermarket oil pan heater's been plugged in for a few hours on mine.

For oil, now that it's out of warranty, I bought some PU 0w-40 on closeout. So it will see that for a few oil changes.

We have a 2014 1.4L Sonic..same engine. Bought at 2,600 miles, now has 16,xxx.

Ours is noisy when cold too - but it starts after it idles down, and goes away after a few minutes or so of warming up. Has been doing it since we bought it as far as I know.

Dealer says it's normal. I was concerned until many people on a Sonic forum said theirs sounds like a can of rocks until it's warm too. Bugs me, but it's smooth, burns no oil and is warranty covered for the next 83,000 miles so, I'll let it ride for now.

Originally Posted By: jblackburn

Ran into a "neighbor" a few buildings down that has a 2011 Cruze 1.4T. Showed him the video - says "yeah, my car sounds a bit like a diesel for a few seconds on a real cold startup." 63,000 miles; he uses M1 5W-30.

A bit less concerned now.

I have a '99 S-10 with the 2.2 VOOOOOrtec. Yeah, I know, apples & oranges, but read on. It has (what I believe to be) cold start piston slap real good. All kinds of rat-a-tat rattling for a few minutes, then it goes away. Always run the spec dino 5W30.

I bought it new with 7 miles. I want to say the slap started around 50K. It now has 193K. Rest of the truck is falling apart, but the motor keeps on ticking...lol...

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: supton
How do you tell piston slap on a diesel then?

Who cares about piston slap on a diesel? :)

Hehe, I sorta do.
wink.gif
I sometimes think I have one, but it's probably noise from... anything at this age.

Sciphi - thanks for stopping in! Haven't heard from you in a while.

And sciphi, stevejones, and Virtuoso - thanks for the input. Very good to know mine's not the only one. Mine doesn't use a bit of oil between 7000+ mi OCI's either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back