oil pressure switch observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an after market oil pressure switch for my car as the original one was going bad. It's the type with a pipe thread connection into the block. The replacement came with white sealant (Teflon?) applied to the threads.

It went in OK but as I tightened it I did noticed something. The tightening torque just kind of got firmer and firmer, there was no sharp rise in the torque you usually get when the threads go metal-to-metal.

I went to install the electrical connector but had problems, so I had to remove the oil pressure switch. It came out way too easy. I know I tightened it reasonably, but the torque to remove it was like nothing. I noticed the thread sealant was gone from the threads.

I sorted out the electrical connector problem. There was an insert in the connector that didn't belong (remember this was an after market part). I removed the insert and the connector worked fine.

I put two wraps of Teflon tape on the threads, one thread back from the nose of the sensor. When I reinstalled the switch it tightened up just right, firm resistance at first with a sharp torque rise as the pipe threads went metal-to-metal.

I ran the engine a bit and re-checked the tightness of the switch, it was fine.

I think they put too much thread sealant on those parts, something to look out for.

Not sure I'm following exactly, but you want enough tape to seal, but not so much to prevent the switch finding a ground. I miss the first couple threads with the tape and with a couple wraps usually get a good seal without needing to go real tight.

Last edited:
"One thread back from the nose" is mainly to prevent getting a sliver of Teflon tape in the flow passage. It's standard "good practice" for applying sealing tape to threaded pipe fittings.

Slightly off topic, but had a Dodge Neon. Maybe 3rd owner with 135K when I got it. Oil pressure switch leaked. Purchased after market, then another. Finally ended up with a Mopar.
I'd say that 40+ years ago, after market were as good as OEM. I don't believe that anymore. Not where it says 'made in China'.

Originally Posted By: Trav
It sounds like this sending unit uses a tapered pipe thread, that would explain it being so easy to remove even though you tightened it well.
They didn't use too much thread sealant.
http://www.wellsve.com/showall_ds_oil.php

Nope, 50 years of experience with threaded fasteners & fittings here.
There was too much sealant.

Originally Posted By: tgrudzin
Slightly off topic, but had a Dodge Neon. Maybe 3rd owner with 135K when I got it. Oil pressure switch leaked. Purchased after market, then another. Finally ended up with a Mopar.
I'd say that 40+ years ago, after market were as good as OEM. I don't believe that anymore. Not where it says 'made in China'.

Yeah, I should have gone to the dealer and gotten an OEM switch, but I was in a hurry, it was convenient, yada, yada. At least the replacement was stamped "Made in Mexico" so there's a fair chance it came from the OEM vendor.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Originally Posted By: Trav
It sounds like this sending unit uses a tapered pipe thread, that would explain it being so easy to remove even though you tightened it well.
They didn't use too much thread sealant.
http://www.wellsve.com/showall_ds_oil.php

Nope, 50 years of experience with threaded fasteners & fittings here.
There was too much sealant.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
I think they put too much thread sealant on those parts

Stuff like this are usually machine applied, i doubt that they are wasting product (money) unless the machine was way out of adjustment but i guess its possible.
Not being a ball buster or anything just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back