Replace everything while I am at it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: eljefino
It would be a tragedy if new ball joint boots get nicked during transmission replacement.

Is this some sort of shakedown? Are you now going to offer me "protection" for a small fee?
grin.gif

Aweful nice ball joint boots you got there. Be a shame if anything was to happen to them.

The Moog Problem Solver control arms are $100 each whereas the Raybestos Professional Grade are $55 each. What do you think about the Raybestos?

No problem at all. Good way to save $50.

The ball joints on the Raybestos Pro control arm assemblies are non-greasable, which I just confirmed with a call to their technical support line. Should that be a deal killer?

If so, it looks like my options are:
-Buy 2 Moog control arm assemblies for $225.
-Buy new Moog bushings and Raybestos Pro ball joints for $165.

Is not having to drill out the ball joint rivets, press out the old bushings, and press in the new bushings worth $60?

Last edited:
The ball joints on the Raybestos Pro control arm assemblies are non-greasable, which I just confirmed with a call to their technical support line. Should that be a deal killer?

Not for me it isn't. Given the choice i will take a LFL joint every time on street only driven cars.
I see cars all the time 15+ yrs old with 150K+ on them with their original LFL parts intact. I sent a 20 yr old Toyota with over 250K on the clock to the yard with its original ball joints and tie rods still doing their job well.
I guess they were really lubed for life!

Originally Posted By: Trav
Given the choice i will take a LFL joint every time on street only driven cars.

Does that also apply to sway bar links? I have already purchased greasable tie rod ends but could go with Deeza LFL sway bar links. The Raybestos Pro and Moog links are greasable.

Absolutely. Greasable doesn't seem to provide any additional life. Deeza makes good parts, no quality concerns. Unfortunately the marketing depts of aftermarket companies have started calling greaseable joints "heavy duty" for their old technology product lines.
If we were talking about off road, over the road trucks or commercial equipment thats a different story.

I see people changing (or asking me to change) LFL joints of all kinds for no other reason than the boots look empty. This is totally normal and not an issue.
The problems arise when people use grease needles through the boot in an attempt to grease them or try to pack more grease into them when they are new before installing them.
Doing the needle trick dooms the joint from the get go and adding additional grease may result in a comparability issue or blown boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back