Where do you guys go to recycle old fluids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually go the AAP nearby. If I also have excess containers and oil filters, I hit up the local recycling facility.

Oils (motor, transmission) - I have usually hit up an Oreilly Auto on the way to work.

Antifreeze - not many places take it but I found a shop that does not too far from me.

Local Valvoline Instant Oil Change, nice group of folks. Gave me an empty gear lube barrel once, makes a stylish trash can in the garage.

Walmart & AP for engine oil. Coolant goes down the drain. ATF- I have no idea but, most places are adamant about NOT mixing it with engine oil.

Don't put coolant down the drain.Waste treatment plants clean up the waste and then release it to the rivers.Glycol and heavy metals wont "clean" in the waste treatment process.

We have a local recycling depot, they have a separate container for just about anything you need to get rid of.

Oil and oil filters are picked up curbside with other recycling and the city runs a hazardous waste drop-off for a couple of hours most Saturdays and some Fridays (paint, batteries, coolant, oil, etc.); learned about it by skimming the marketing paperwork stuffed in the utility bill which usually never gets even a glance.

Kevin

The transfer station here in town has a tank you can dump oil into. I mix all ATF, gear oil, power steering fluid, and brake fluid in with my used motor oil and dump it there. They also have a separate tank for antifreeze, which is where I dump my antifreeze.

Our local Wallymarts take oil and filters, and they are open late so I usually go there. Otherwise, the municipal landfill is closer and has recycling for anything you can think of.

Municipal "shed". Oil, coolant, electronics, batteries, metals, cans+bottles, plastics, paper+cardboard........... but not tires; not even for a fee. No room for 'em. Kira

Our town has a collection site where they take all of it. They also take paints, mercury containing lights, etc.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
The transfer station here in town has a tank you can dump oil into. I mix all ATF, gear oil, power steering fluid, and brake fluid in with my used motor oil and dump it there. They also have a separate tank for antifreeze, which is where I dump my antifreeze.
Same here, which makes me a bit wary of "rerefined" motor oil if what goes into our "used motor oil" tank is any example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back