Is there such a thing as a simple car anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pesca
Too bad you don't live in Canada, you could have a Nissan Micra instead: Better car for the same money from what I read (at least better looking for sure).

Mitsubishi had to lower the Mirage's price to match Micra's one (they were 3000$ higher for less car).

I've also read a LOT of great things about the Micra which Nissan was selling in Europe for many years now, Canada received the latest generation in 2013, unfortunately Nissan USA was considering the Micra for sale in the USA but they believed that it would cut into
Sentra sales (slight bigger car for a bit more money) so they shelved that plan, unfortunately the Micra is a much better car to drive than the HORRID Sentra. I believe they are still considering it here in the USA but nothing has materialized yet.

Yes, the Mirage is selling very well because it is a solidly built durable easy to service and very inexpensive to buy. There DEFINITELY is a SIGNIFICANT demand for these types of new vehicles in the US, but most automakers don't like the profit margin, it is not outrageously high enough.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
I really don't understand why anyone would buy a Mirage. Someone who must have a new car?

It looks like it has no redeemable qualities and in Canada starts at 15k? Wat?

I rather drive just about anything else.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I really don't understand why anyone would buy a Mirage. Someone who must have a new car?

The very inclusive factory warranty, you can buy the car and not have to worry about paying for expensive repairs for a loooong time.

Again did you read some of the other posts, or visit VWVortex.com
The Car Lounge and read the thread there? It is a fun to drive little car, that is cheap, and well built with a looong warranty.

Last edited:
I think the most basic/simple modern car has much more features than 1970-1974 base Chevy Nova without any option. That car had 6-cyl and 4-speed manual transmission and that is all. It didn't have: A/C, power steering, cruise control, radio ...

I don't get it either.
21.gif

It starts at about $1000 more than a base Versa sedan. I guess it costs $1000 more to ship from Thailand than Mexico
IIRC, the Mirage has power windows. The base Versa did not.
The Versa loses the large opening of the hatchback, but adults can actually fit in the back seat of the Versa
You lose a couple mpg with a Versa, but it has something like 30 more horsepower...it's still underpowered compared to many small 4 cylinders. Still better than a 74 horsepower triple.
The Mirage does come in several Easter Egg colors.

The Versa is very roomy, but cheap. Not good value cheap, cheap cheap. Lots of room, uncomfortable seats. 1991 Tercel doors sound more substantial when they close. I still prefer it to the Mirage.

Last edited:
I thought my vehicle was simple. It is for,the most part except for auto lights, but that can be fixed. If i leave my seatbelt off, i only get a light no buzz or beep so its not too horrible, but then it has this new fangled technological wireless throttle cable. It was ok for a while, but is still difficult to coordinate with the cluch, but now the truck isnt even driveable because of it, andto top it off, the solution and problem is vague.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
The modulator is legal in all 50 states. That "distraction" may keep me from getting greased. When I see a modulated headlight, it does not distract me in the least. It just makes the motorcycle easier to notice and that is what its intended purpose is. The modulators must meet the federal standards and they have a sensor that turns them off at night and low light situations, like going through a tunnel.

That's cool. So if you ever find yourself being followed around by someone in a Camry or GTI flashing his brights at you, please be sure that I only want you to notice me. Because I want to be sure that you know I'm there so you don't bounce off of my car. It's for your own safety.

Whatever you say internet bad man. Besides, what you're proposing is illegal. If you would have paid attention to my previous post, The modulator takes the lights from LOW BEAM to LOW INTENSITY. The modulator doesn't work at all if the lights are on high beam. Geez, go take your zoloft, get a life and quit being a puss! Mommy's going to take your computer privileges away if you keep being mean to people online.

Having run DBW trucks here by the dozens since they came out in the most demanding duty cycle for deposit generation with near zero problems I suspect your issue has more to do with diagnostic expertise than any factory shortcoming.

Since our vans got DBW far later than our pickups it is interesting to note we have had more issues with cable throttles!

I think it's because if motorcycles are the only vehicle with lights on during the daytime, they will stand out more and be easier to spot in traffic. I can see the point to that. I have a modulator (makes the headlight go from low beam to low intensity 4 times per second) on my bike, and that makes me stand out more than anything.

Another vote against these stupid modulators.

1) I used to ride pedal- and motorcycles and understand the visibility challenge. I pay attention to all vehicles great and small when I drive my car.

2) I get migraines and that's annoying to have in my mirror miles on end. Annoying other drivers dehumanizes motorcyclists. So do full face helmets and leathers... makes them/us look like giant insects. /OT

3) Blinking lights are for cops.

4) Show me a new bike on the showroom floor with a modulator. While apparantly legal to install, they don't seem to be legal to make at the factory.

5) Loud pipes shoot rearwards, one needs the noise pointing frontwards.

Well, we just have to agree to disagree on this one. Since I installed the modulator, I haven't had anyone pull out in front of me or make a left either. Since they are only used in daylight/bright light conditions, I just can't see where they are that annoying to others knowing the reason why they are on the bike in the first place. Motorcycles are small and I don't want to become a statistic because someone "just didn't see me". If I'm in stop and go traffic I turn mine off (if I remember) as there's no real reason to have it on. FWIW I have the stock pipes, which are pretty quiet.

The DBW vehicles I've driven tend to be a pain too. Granted the number that I have driven is small; but so far, they tend to rev the engine up too fast, and then the engine is slow to un-rev. Which makes working the clutch a bit more involved--cannot just stab at things, one has to use more timing (let off throttle, then work clutch). My Jetta thankfully lacks this problem, and has the throttle response I expect.

I'm not sure I'd want to buy one new; but since I have other vehicles to do stuff other than commute in, I wouldn't mind a pure commuter vehicle. And small cars can be fun in their own right--they seem to respond faster, and since they are less capable they can be flogged on a regular basis w/o anyone noticing! Cheap to run too.

I lean heavily towards Toyota but it'd be kinda cool to have a 3 cylinder.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I think it's because if motorcycles are the only vehicle with lights on during the daytime, they will stand out more and be easier to spot in traffic. I can see the point to that. I have a modulator (makes the headlight go from low beam to low intensity 4 times per second) on my bike, and that makes me stand out more than anything.

Another vote against these stupid modulators.

1) I used to ride pedal- and motorcycles and understand the visibility challenge. I pay attention to all vehicles great and small when I drive my car.

2) I get migraines and that's annoying to have in my mirror miles on end. Annoying other drivers dehumanizes motorcyclists. So do full face helmets and leathers... makes them/us look like giant insects. /OT

3) Blinking lights are for cops.

4) Show me a new bike on the showroom floor with a modulator. While apparantly legal to install, they don't seem to be legal to make at the factory.

5) Loud pipes shoot rearwards, one needs the noise pointing frontwards.

I've run the high beam during the day ever since I moved up from my Vespa 50 Special and could no longer turn off the headlight on any of my bikes. Needless to say, I'm not opposed to modulators, but I wish they all would automatically shut off at night.

I think they are supposed to do that anyway, but I have had many a bike in my rearview playing disco strobe light in my eyes well after sunset.

Whatever you say internet bad man. Besides, what you're proposing is illegal. If you would have paid attention to my previous post, The modulator takes the lights from LOW BEAM to LOW INTENSITY. The modulator doesn't work at all if the lights are on high beam. Geez, go take your zoloft, get a life and quit being a puss! Mommy's going to take your computer privileges away if you keep being mean to people online.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlight_flashing

Not illegal in Virginia.

I'm sorry that being told that you're doing something that another individual finds annoying is so bothersome to you. So much so that you have to lash out. Others may not find that it's distracting, and that's totally cool, but I'm saying that I think it is.

But don't just take MY opinion, just look at this really long thread where a bunch of motorcyclists express that they also find them distracting and argue with other motorcyclists who don't think they're distracting, so my opinion is not an isolated one.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342381

So you can still counter with "but it's legal!" and hey man, that's cool. You have freedom of speech, but I am free to call you an [censored] if you say the things to me that you just said. It's all legal. Just like it's legal for me to do certain things with my vehicle that draw attention to myself, that you may find annoying or distracting, because hey man.... it's legal, so I should totally do it.

^^^I like the idea that the Mirage gets such good mileage. It's just not for me, though.

I think it makes sense for someone retired with a smaller fixed income, it has the 10 year drivetrain warranty if they keep it, or won't depreciate much at all if they sell it in a few years.
It is also rated for nearly 50% better hwy mileage than the Micra which is a nice perk if you live in the country.

Originally Posted By: Mykl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlight_flashing

Not illegal in Virginia.

I'm sorry that being told that you're doing something that another individual finds annoying is so bothersome to you. So much so that you have to lash out. Others may not find that it's distracting, and that's totally cool, but I'm saying that I think it is.

But don't just take MY opinion, just look at this really long thread where a bunch of motorcyclists express that they also find them distracting and argue with other motorcyclists who don't think they're distracting, so my opinion is not an isolated one.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342381

So you can still counter with "but it's legal!" and hey man, that's cool. You have freedom of speech, but I am free to call you an [censored] if you say the things to me that you just said. It's all legal. Just like it's legal for me to do certain things with my vehicle that draw attention to myself, that you may find annoying or distracting, because hey man.... it's legal, so I should totally do it.

Waah! BTW you were bragging about lashing out on me w/hi beams. What u babbling about? Glad u live in TX.

Nissan USA don't want to sell the Micra because they believe there is no market for it. Too small for the US.

Nissan Canada knows there is a market for small cars, especially in Quebec. They reengineered it a bit to satisfy the Canadian audience: You can fit a hockey bag in the trunk and the heater is more powerful.

The Micra starts at 10k$ and the Mirage had to move from 13k$ to about 10k$ to sustain the competition. So, I don't understand the 15k$ Mirage question.

Just above the Micra, you have the Versa Note which is way bigger inside. But when you live in town, in small streets with not that many parking spots, every centimeter counts.
And if they are not as dull to drive as a Versa, it is a bonus.

Nissan advertises the Micra against the used car market, not even against the Mirage: From the same range of price, you could have a brand new car.

If you are a parent and your son/daughter needs a car, maybe it is a good thing to be able to buy a new car instead to put your child in a beater?

There is a car for every use and every market. We will see how many they sell.

Can't get any more basic than a Tesla; it's like driving a giant R/C car...
smile.gif

Simple, basic, economy... Toyota Yaris 3dr L for $15k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back