03 Subaru Forester drinking oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd guess a combination of leaking/burning. Changing the PCV valve will likely help quite a bit, but just about every Subaru of that vintage that I've looked at or worked on has had oil leaks. The most likely leak suspect is the hardest to fix - the oil separator plate on the back of the engine. This was originally a plastic part; the revised plate (Subaru part #11831AA210) is stamped metal. Unfortunately the engine needs to come out of the vehicle to change it. Other leaks are likely at the head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, front and rear crank seals, etc.

You need to rule out checking oil incorrectly. Alot of people freak out when they check the oil in a subaru after the engine has been started.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f66/checking-oil-267514/

After you rule that out, someone needs to confirm that its not leaking externtally- take it to a trusted mechanic or do it yourself. Subarus leak at the valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, oil cooler, and rear main seals.

Last will be internal- no sense going into that until you rule out the improper oil checking and external leaking.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
...You need to rule out checking oil incorrectly. Alot of people freak out when they check the oil in a subaru after the engine has been started.

My Subaru dipstick is the worst I have ever used... hard to read at the best of times, seems to scape one side on removal giving two very different levels on each side... erratic readings...

I do this... shut off engine... remove dipstick... wipe off... REMOVE O-RING at handle on dipstick... wait ten minutes... check oil with o-ring removed... put o-ring back on, replace dip stick.

Removing the o-ring and waiting a few minutes seems to help get a much more consistent reading... not sure why.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Is this a Forester 2.5 XT? The XT had a turbo.

No, the '04 was the first year for the turbo.

I would also make sure he's adding/checking using the correct dipsticks and fill holes, as well as draining the oil and not the diff/transmission.

-Dennis

This vvvv

I have a 99 Forester and just went through the experience this past year...burning through a quart within 200-400 miles with very little visible smoke. Blown oil control rings on the original engine (cyl 1&3 which also burned exhaust valves) which was not well cared for as it turns out. Now have a brand new engine in it from CCR out of Colorado. Excellent so far (1k miles). As predicted, I had to replace the cat as well since it was cooked.Half the trans (5spd) is new too so I feel like I have a new car.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: abycat
He might also need a new cat. I'm sure it will be plugged by the time this is figured out.
It's the cat system which hides a lot of the smoke output by burning it. It can't last forever doing that.

Thanks for all the thoughts and possibilities. He's definitely adding a quart per fill up of HM when he uses it for commuting and yes he's looking at the correct dipstick....
crazy.gif

He carpools so didn't drive it today but when he does I'm going to look under it for the oil slicked undercarriage. Says he'll replace the PCV valve this weekend.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Originally Posted By: Trav
Is this a Forester 2.5 XT? The XT had a turbo.

No, the '04 was the first year for the turbo.
-Dennis

Thanks for the info i didn't google it but thought it was somewhere in that era.

Fellas, I looked under this Subie from front to back and it's drier than a fish turd dipped in salt! Not a drop anywhere.. it must be going out the tailpipe.

I know he isn't going to want to drop much money on this car, are there any Hail Mary! last chance things to try? Assuming it has to be the oil rings and/or valve seals. I told him to look up ATP AT-205, is there a recipe and procedure that has gotten someone results for the possible fouled rings?

AZJeff, no there is no temp repair for the 2.5 as I tried them as well as the previous owner tried them. Unfortunately previous owner used some type of aftermarket headgasket repair seal where you pour it in the crankcase...it was a temporary fix that ultimately just made the situation worse in the end and the HG did fail externally. It's quite probable that your friends Forester has compromised valve seals and oil control rings failing miserably. Again, as I mentioned previously the smoke from the tailpipe is not a good test for Subarus since they come factory with a very efficient cat convertor (much better than average I'm told for when I went shopping for a replacement) and with that I'd suspect the oil burning is substantially masked while driving. The only time you will notice it is at start-up when the oil is pulled past the rings and sucked in past the valve seals. This is what occurred to mine.

AT-205 did not work for my situation even remotely which in hindsight is quite logically expected. Oh, for external oil leaks as I indicated mine had it would have to sit un-driven for at least a day or two before I witnessed any leaks on the garage floor. As it turned out it was leaking externally on both sides of the block rear corners but not nearly as bad as the oil control rings and valve seals were dumping out the exhaust.I'd recommend to your friend to not drive the vehicle if at all possible and deadline it until such time as he decides to save it or ditch it.The block will have to be pulled and torn down to, at a minimum, the heads to check the valve seals overall condition as well as the valves themselves for any burn. It's possible that is all it is but suspect more is going on farther down into the block(aka rings failing).I would agree that previous owner neglected the poor subie significantly which led to its demise. This is what occurred in my situation to and I paid the price. I love the car so much though overall that I just could not give it up. I'm glad I made that choice.

I'm so glad thats behind me and I have a new engine in it from CCR.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Fellas, I looked under this Subie from front to back and it's drier than a fish turd dipped in salt! Not a drop anywhere.. it must be going out the tailpipe.

I know he isn't going to want to drop much money on this car, are there any Hail Mary! last chance things to try? Assuming it has to be the oil rings and/or valve seals. I told him to look up ATP AT-205, is there a recipe and procedure that has gotten someone results for the possible fouled rings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back