When did Union 76 become just 76 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there some kind of story behind that? Whenever I see a 76 station, my mind automatically thinks Union 76, but there's no 'Union' on the sign anymore.

I'll take a WAG and guess that it was after Conoco-Phillips purchased the company.

Not many 76 station in NJ.The one I know of only sells 87 octane gas.3 pumps set ups but only regular.No other octanes which is weird.

Hello, To ag_ghost: The sign "Union 76" station may be required by a lease.
i.e. "To be used only as a gas station DBA Union 76".
It was the reason I was told there are (were) only 2 Texaco stations left in New Jersey.

Also, could it be that the name "Union 76" seemed to bulky?

Also, could it be expurgation of the word "Union" dovetails with Conservative or right wing or Republican messaging. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
Also, could it be expurgation of the word "Union" dovetails with Conservative or right wing or Republican messaging. Kira
You should watch out for the black helicoptors circling your head.

Union oil sold out to Tosco oil sometime in the early 90's. Not too much later Tosco sold the 76 name to Conoco Phillips. I remember seeing Union 76 on storage tanks down in San Pedro which then changed to Tosco.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, To ag_ghost: The sign "Union 76" station may be required by a lease.
i.e. "To be used only as a gas station DBA Union 76".
It was the reason I was told there are (were) only 2 Texaco stations left in New Jersey.

Chevron still has a few stations sporting the "Standard" brand name in San Francisco. I heard that they have an agreement with the franchisees to do it such that they can actively protect the trademark by using it in commerce.

As for 76, I'm pretty sure there was a time when they mostly dumped "Union 76" for "Unocal 76". Even after selling off the 76 brand name and its refining assets, Union Oil of California was still using the Unocal name for its natural gas development operations. Remember when there was controversy over a Chinese oil company buying them, where the deal was nixed by the Feds? Chevron ended up buying them.

place.span.jpg

Originally Posted By: Colt
Not many 76 station in NJ.The one I know of only sells 87 octane gas.3 pumps set ups but only regular.No other octanes which is weird.

I believe the truck stop way out on 80 West is still a 76 station.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Colt

I believe the truck stop way out on 80 West is still a 76 station.
21.gif

The one I'm talking about is right off exit 26 on Rt 80W.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
On August 10, 2005, Unocal merged with Chevron Corporation.

That was well after they had divested themselves of their refining operations as well as the 76 brand name.

Didn't I mention that? Also - it was more a purchase than a merger. At that point Unocal was a shadow of what it used to be.

I see the 76 stations were sold in 1997 to Tosco Corp., which is now owned by ConocoPhillips.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
I see the 76 stations were sold in 1997 to Tosco Corp., which is now owned by ConocoPhillips.

It's more convoluted than that. They simply bought out Tosco and then discontinued the name. Also - ConocoPhillips spun off its refining and marketing assets as a separate company - Phillips 66.

http://www.phillips66.com/EN/about/our-businesses/marketing-specialties/Pages/index.aspx

The Conoco, Phillips 66, and 76 brand names are now marketed by this new company with an old name.

Quote:
http://www.phillips66gas.com

Phillips 66® and its respective logos are registered trademarks owned by Phillips 66 Company.

http://www.76.com

76® and its respective logos are registered trademarks owned by Phillips 66 Company.

http://www.conoco.com

Conoco® and its respective logos are registered trademarks owned by Phillips 66 Company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back