'91 Park Avenue start up, then dies....

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the Park Avenue we got yesterday, the one I made a thread on earlier today. When leaving the WM parking lot today, I went to start it up. It fired then died immediately. The second time it started up. Then while driving home, I was accelerating after a stop light and around 30 MPH while speeding up it jerked 2 or three times. Not sure how to describe it, Ive never felt an engine "miss" before, maybe thats what it feels like I dont know. It just cluncked 3 times then proceeded to accelerate normally. Then later today, it took 3 tries to start, the 3rd time I gave it some gas and it fired up. What could cause this? Plugs and wires arent that old, has new MAF and new PCV valve as well. Something worth noting, I put in a small bottles of techron yesterday and filled up the tank. Its only been about 25 miles since the fill up.

I had a 96' Chevy truck that was doing this same thing. Died randomly while driving, sometimes wouldn't start and stumbled sometimes. Turned out to be the fuel pump relay. In the end it would idle for about a minute then just turn off. With the engine running I wiggled the fuel pump relay and you could hear the fuel pump (noisy on those trucks) go up and down as I wiggled it. A new one fixed that problem. Could be a crank sensor or a plugged fuel filter/bad fuel pump. Go to O'Reilly's and rent the fuel pressure tester, it screws onto a valve that's similar to what's on your tire (Schrader valve) and its on the fuel rail, you can see the fuel pressure and when the engine dies keep an eye on it.

Fuel filter would be a simple first attempt at a fix.

Debris could be blocking the filter outlet occasionally.

I would go for trash in the line,,like water first, use stabil to get the water out. My old van acted just like your ride, but all can have different problems, but I would look for foreign substance in tank first....something just maybe contaminated, u never know.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Fuel filter would be a simple first attempt at a fix.

Debris could be blocking the filter outlet occasionally.

+1

My best guess.

Don't suppose that Techron is loosening up some buildup in the stream and as it gets hung up here and there, its reducing flow to cause clunked misses.

Sounds like a fuel filter is a great recommendation.

As you go into further, listen for that buzzing from the fuel pump to build pressure as the ignition key is turned and before you turn the key to start. It may assist you in solving this issue.

Fuel filter will be a pain if this cars is from a salty place. Lines may be rusty and agitating them could be enough to cause leaks. And if they are rusty the fittings could be soft or rounded.

My Dad's 1997 Riviera had the exact same issue. Left me stranded or delayed multiple times waiting for it to be ready to fire off. You have a problem with the fuel sending unit in the tank.

+1 for relay. Highly unlikely a filter is that plugged up. Seeing you are in FLA, I doubt icing fuel is your issue...

Forum Stats
52474 Members
66 Forums
224876 Topics
3573163 Posts

----------------- Ok, someone has to have the right answer, so

automobile fix'ns for 400 Alex. What causes sputtering and engine stoppage ?

Last edited:
Any lights on the dash when it acts up? The Passcode anti-theft system of the early 90's was plagued with problems if you were so unlucky to get a bad one.

Also, our PA went through plug wires about every year it seemed. It would manifest in wet weather when water would splash up on the backside of the engine and it would short out and run rough, but it would never die or not start. The no start makes me think Passcode first.

Does the ignition key have a little black square with a silver slit in the middle on both sides?

If the spark plugs and ignition wires are still good, you could have failing coil packs. People who failed to replace their spark plugs and wires on time were more likely to develop ignition coil failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back