Officer body cam shows imminent deadly shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
Want to know why cops are often tactically defensive and frisk folks?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/15/arizona-cop-body-cam-captures-fatal-encounter-with-suspect/

The video is obviously edited, but it's clear from the images and info that Officer Stewart was in harm's way for several minutes. And then when he attempted to search the suspect, he was slain. Searches incident to arrest or reasonable-suspicion questioning of subjects are legal per SCOTUS case law.

Just food for thought the next time someone you know mouth's off about how cops don't need to frisk folks, or secure the area, or be verbally demanding when interacting with the public. When a cops tells you to get your hands out of your pockets, it's for a very good reason. And if you don't comply, it's for this reason we become very untrusting and on-edge.

Last edited:
Its heartbreaking. Al & Jessie and their "community" has a burning hatred of the police, and also otherwise more reasonable people want to hold the police to absolute perfection.

God bless and protect LE from the deranged and evil ones out on the streets.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
There is, however, a REASON that so many cops react to cameras like cockroaches to floodlights.

Every LEO I know, both city and county, very much looks forward to being able to wear body cameras.

There is, however, a REASON that so many cops react to cameras like cockroaches to floodlights.

I certainly have encountered some power-happy LEOs. They come off as insensitive and bullies.

They may be police, but. Some incorporate RUDE into their safety.

This statement does not cover every police officer or LEO,nor situation. More like when a cop wants me to step out of my car and search it AND me, because he feels I am "too nervous" when I have an anxiety disorder - and I do. Flipside: I am calm, decide to be relaxed. I am asked to step out of the car, (which now looks stolen, for whatever that is worth,) because I am "acting suspiciously.."

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Every LEO I know, both city and county, very much looks forward to being able to wear body cameras.

...The Patrolman, Sergeant's & Lieutenant's I've all asked hate the idea with a passion.

Wonder what the difference is
confused.gif

I think it is a very good idea for police to have body cameras. It will protect the good police who I think greatly outnumber the bad cops.

Sure there are bad cops. But usually the bad cops will get weeded out of a department sooner rather than later. It is hard for a corrupt police officer to exist in a department unless the entire department is corrupt.

I get sick and tired of the cop haters at this website who have nothing good to say about the police. Most police are just trying to do their jobs. And without them this would probably be a very violent society. Everybody would have to defend themselves with guns and the funny thing is some of the biggest cop haters are also the biggest anti-gun proponents.

There was a guy here who later got himself banned (he was probably the retread who keeps coming back with new user names again and again) who had one anti-police video after another. He did not show any positive videos of the police, such as the video I saw on TV not too long ago when a police officer risked his own life to save a man in a burning car.

Somebody saying that all police are corrupt and bad is like somebody saying all mechanics are corrupt and bad. It just is not true.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I can assure you that I desperately desire one and look forward to the issuance thereof. I have nothing to fear from being recorded by a non-biased device.

However, I do fear the public taking my image, editing it for their desired content, and making me out to be something I'm not. I have ZERO objection to being video taped from afar, but when you enter my "safety zone", you become part of the problem, too. Often the people recording such events are biased towards the suspects, and it's not good to turn your back on them, either. Want to video me on duty? Fine - do it from 30 yards away or more.

Will some cops be turned off (pardon the pun) by recording their actions and images? Sure. And if they cannot do the job the right way, then we don't need them anyway.

But that does not change HOW we interact with unknown subjects. If you're not a known friend, then you're a potential foe. ANYONE can pose outwardly to be reasonable and calm, right up to the point when you shoot me in the head. As this direct storyline and video demonstrates. The suspect (Smith) showed no outward signs of being a threat, but he clearly was. Was he screaming and shouting? No. Was he bouncing up and down? No. Was he evasive in his body movements? No. Was he elusive in the answers? No. But in a fraction of a second he pulled a gun and killed a cop. There was NO indication this was going bad, until it did. And THAT is why the SCOTUS has handed down decisions that cops can search and frisk individuals in terms of reasonable suspicion and life safety.

And so we want to see your hands. Hands kill. Hands can hold a knife, a gun, a screwdriver, a ball bat, a toothpick, etc. Hands kill. SHOW ME YOUR HANDS and let me search your person. If you do not, YOU ARE PRIORITY NO.1 IN TERMS OF THREATS TO MY LIFE.

Last edited:
Police should be legally REQUIRED to wear body cameras, and deactivating them in any way, shape, or form should be a felony.

Police should be legally REQUIRED to wear body cameras, and deactivating them in any way, shape, or form should be a felony.

Really? You want to hear me talk about my boring life while at lunch? You want me to be recorded when I'm in the can evacuating lunch? I have rights, too, you know. If I choose to have a conversation with a co-worker about my troubled son or desire to vote a particular way or how I feel about Sunday's church service, should that be recorded too, so that the public can subpeona it?

Be realistic. There is a middle-ground that can serve the public AND protect cops, without going overboard.

A felony? Really? Don't you think that's just a bit over the line?

Last edited:
Not at all. We both know that some bent cops will "accidentally" deactivate their cameras, or "forget" to turn them on. Absolute minimum, turning them off should result in instant termination.

¡Manos arriba!

Yes there are bad apples in every line of work, but recording police interactions more often than not exonerates officer conduct.
Use of undue force or improper behavior allegations are invariably reduced when rank and file have and use cameras.
That police officers' unions are almost always supportive of their mandatory use speaks volumes imho.

Whenever a LEO has asked me to do something, I do it without hesitation.
That I've never been shot at, placed in a compliance hold, or received any 'Rodney King' beatdown treatment at the hands of law enforcement is likely no coincidence.

One of the reasons social media can really suck in this day and age...and the sad part people just go in and believe the hype..

I completely agree with dnewton, because I have quite a few friends who are officers. As far as cameras, should be pa choice..

A friend of mine was a Flint, MI cop (one of the most dangerous cities in the US) would have welcomed one...as there was a few times he was shot at...and the perp say something else....

Bottom line is, if you think of cops as the bad guy, you are part of the problem. And please don't bore me with a few bad apples.....

Not at all. We both know that some bent cops will "accidentally" deactivate their cameras, or "forget" to turn them on. Absolute minimum, turning them off should result in instant termination.

Yeah, while savings lives..sure I'm sure they will get right on it....

Since there are so many bent drivers, and trucks kill thousands of people every year, I want dash cams in trucks, and on the drivers, that records them 24/7. We need to know if those drivers are using drugs, using their cellphones while driving, or are distracted by the radio, aren't getting enough sleep and engaging in other behaviors that put the public at risk. Over 300 people (many of them criminals) were killed by the police in 2012.

But trucks killed nearly 4,000 that same year. And injured nearly 100,000! But these victims weren't criminals in violent encounters with police, these were all innocents! Those truck drivers present a far larger threat to public safety than cops. Orders of magnitude larger! http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811868.pdf

We have to do something!

By recording those drivers 24/7, everywhere they go, we can substantially improve public safety.

Turning the cameras off, would of course, be a felony. Similarly, we can review the video of their off duty time to look for criminal behaviour in addition to the simply risky behaviour and now we will have the proof! Lock up all the criminals we find...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
One of the reasons social media can really suck in this day and age...and the sad part people just go in and believe the hype..

I completely agree with dnewton, because I have quite a few friends who are officers. As far as cameras, should be pa choice..

A friend of mine was a Flint, MI cop (one of the most dangerous cities in the US) would have welcomed one...as there was a few times he was shot at...and the perp say something else....

Bottom line is, if you think of cops as the bad guy, you are part of the problem. And please don't bore me with a few bad apples.....

I watched bent cops destroy several lives...and close to destroying mine.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

I watched bent cops destroy several lives...and close to destroying mine.

So, clearly, we need to record you 24/7 so that we can catch those bent cops.

You wouldn't mind having a camera recording you during every moment of your life, would you? It's for your own protection...those bent cops would scatter like cockroaches, just like you said..so you would be perfectly safe...immune from their predations...right?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: splinter
¡Manos arriba!

Yes there are bad apples in every line of work, but recording police interactions more often than not exonerates officer conduct.
Use of undue force or improper behavior allegations are invariably reduced when rank and file have and use cameras.
That police officers' unions are almost always supportive of their mandatory use speaks volumes imho.

Whenever a LEO has asked me to do something, I do it without hesitation.
That I've never been shot at, placed in a compliance hold, or received any 'Rodney King' beatdown treatment at the hands of law enforcement is likely no coincidence.

A little bit righteous there, but... I like it.

I think we have differences of opinion as to which side initiates a foul into the interaction of the public vs the police. And, in some cases.. it is not the "suspect" or "criminal."

Because, remember: Most of us speed every day. And every one of us that do.. are "criminals." The day that that trooper on the side of the road can ticket the hundreds driving past him, after he got his guy on radar or laser going "10 or over" since it is 2 points up to 9MPH over in NJ and court will offer a plea to a 2-point.. is a sad day, indeed. All those criminals. Think of the CHILDREN!!! (*insert inevitable comparison to firearms here. "By the numbers.")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back