engine block heater options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am seeking advice from those who have used magnetic engine block heaters. I know many use some kind of apparatus on their vehicle. My interest is finding a "this winter" fix for my small farm tractor. I thought a zerostart magnetic heater rated at 200W and thermostatically limited to 250F may be a safe quick fix,matched with correct amp/watt extension cord and timer. please post if you have used these items to heat you vehicle for easier starting! Thank you!

Last edited:
The magnetic one isn't going to work unless you have a cast iron block or a metal oil pan.

I like the ones that thread in the freeze plugs. When I move into a house, I'm planning on having one of those added to both of my vehicles.

Wolverine Oil Pan heaters are very good and worth looking into. It heats the oil at the lowest part of the engine, the bottom of the oil pan. No cutting hoses, or removing freeze out plugs, installation is quick and easy. They work quite well.

Originally Posted By: Rman
Hello, I am seeking advice from those who have used magnetic engine block heaters. I know many use some kind of apparatus on their vehicle. My interest is finding a "this winter" fix for my small farm tractor. I thought a zerostart magnetic heater rated at 200W and thermostatically limited to 250F may be a safe quick fix,matched with correct amp/watt extension cord and timer. please post if you have used these items to heat you vehicle for easier starting! Thank you!
200 watts is less than 2 amps at 120 volts. You don't need thick cords.

The freeze plugs are the only semi-permanent, safe option that works. They can be a real pain in the butt to install though, and you of course have to drain most/all the coolant.

If you're looking for improved MPG, unless you drive 100% city you'll probably see a very minimal difference. If you just want warmer air faster, that would definitely help but your differentials and oil and fuel will all be cold and have a cooling effect that slightly negates some of the heat, and doesn't reduce wear on some parts.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
greetings and welcome,

let me start by linking a recent discussion on the subject: click below
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3592646/1

in that is a linky to this site:
http://www.wolverineheater.com/

I have used both type heaters(block and coolant) before and it is a nice thing to have.

on edit: the one thing i have not used is a battery warmer, but i'm sure they may have their use.

Another, less expensive, option is Kat's Heaters available from Amazon.

I've used most all of the heaters except the dip stick type. The magnetic are almost as useless as those. For good effect in 'up north' winters you'll want to get a heating element into the coolant-good luck

Probably the easiest to install is the stick-on oil pan heating pad type. It's glued onto the oil pan.

If you are just worried about starting in the cold and not reducing engine wear a good battery, a battery heating blanket and a good synthetic 0wXX will work fine. No problems starting by '02 Impreza at -40C with this set-up but it doesn't sound happy.

I figure if it's a collector car you probably aren't driving it in the winter, it's a utilitarian car and if you live where you get real cold and snow the engine will outlast the body anyway so why worry about a bit of extra start-up wear?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back