Jack Daniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
The American whiskey scene is awash with excellent stuff. When it comes to Tennessee style whiskies (which meet the legal definition of bourbon, even though the makers choose not to call them that) I prefer George Dickel.

JD, however, is the number one selling whiskey in the entire world.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
The American whiskey scene is awash with excellent stuff. When it comes to Tennessee style whiskies (which meet the legal definition of bourbon, even though the makers choose not to call them that) I prefer George Dickel.

I thought JD was not legally allowed to be called bourbon because they use the Lincoln County filtering process (across active wood charcoal). Last I read bourbon was not allowed to be filtered for flavor improvement, especially after the distillate comes out of the barrel.

I haven't had anything that tastes quite like it. It isn't really a staple of mine, but it is pretty good and really good with Coke. You can get it almost anywhere in the world, too.

Originally Posted By: Donald
At 61, drinking is over-rated as a past-time.

And finishing a bottle of whiskey after two weeks doesn't sound like drinking as a pass time, regardless of age. What do you have to say about Jack Daniel's?

Last edited:
I'm 46 this month and I agree 100%. Only time I drink is when I'm sick.a couple of shots usually knocks the sickness out.

Took the Jack Daniels tour a few years back. very interesting.Was offered a sample afterwards. Awful.

Makers Mark much better.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I'm 46 this month and I agree 100%. Only time I drink is when I'm sick.a couple of shots usually knocks the sickness out.

Folks,let's try to keep this one on topic, please.

That's one of the weird things about old No. 7. In a lot of places, scotch is the only whiskey to be found, but JD is available, if a bit exotic. Real bourbon is truly scarce.

I am a huge Jack Daniels fan.For mixing you can't beat the original black label. If your looking for a sippin whiskey try Gentleman Jack or my favorite Jack Daniels Single Barrel.

I can't do any type of liquor. I don't know what it is, but I can't stand the smell. Some vodka/tea or vodka/cran is good, but light on the vodka.

I really like an ice cold beer (cue some Cream Ale) and wine.

Last edited:
It's my fave!! Jack and Coke,liquid candy
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

I thought JD was not legally allowed to be called bourbon because they use the Lincoln County filtering process (across active wood charcoal). Last I read bourbon was not allowed to be filtered for flavor improvement, especially after the distillate comes out of the barrel.

This is JD's claim, however, the distillate is filtered through the maple charcoal after distillation and BEFORE it is barreled. There is actually nothing in bourbon regs prohibiting charcoal filtration. It is not considered a flavor modification. Read Chuck Cowdery's text on the topic. There are a lot of bourbons out there, but very few Tennessee whiskies, simple as that. There are Tennessee whiskies these days that do not use the Lincoln County Process (i.e. Prichard's). There are bourbons that are charcoal filtered, and state it on the label, as well. Many are chill filtered as well, but are still allowed to be called bourbon.

Of course, to those of us who drink it, all this legalese and marketing terminology means very little. We drink what we like.

Not only do I really like JD, I love Moore County where it is made. Great motorcycle roads and great beauty in that county.
I have toured the facility several times and always enjoy it. Funny thing is that Moore county is a dry, meaning no alcohol sales, county.
Anyways and back to topic, JD is a favorite of mine. Will sip on some tonite.
Cheers all
10.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I used to love BL Jack Daniels. However; I drank too much to often and now 13 years in AA later:)

Sick and tired of feeling sick and tired?

Haha Joe,now I need to go to the liquor store,I just remembered my brother finished off my bottle of Jack! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back