2 Questions: computer RAM and cell phone power btn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a Compaq Presario CQ57, windows 7, and 2 gigs of RAM. Thing is SLOW....did all the malware/antivirus scans and sped it up some, but still slow. I can upgrade memory to 4 gigs or 8 gigs....it's running at 64 bits. Some of my daughters computer games such as minecraft are "laggy" as she puts it. You think I can decrease the "lagginess" by installing 4 gigs of memory, affectly doubling what's in it now, or do I need to max out the RAM with 8 gigs? Big difference in price. The only thing that computer is used for is internet and computer games. Computer is 2 years old.
Second: My wives Galaxy 2 has the tell tale signs of the dreaded power button failure issue. Constantly reboots itself/turns off at random. Swapped out batteries to a newer one, no avail. Cleaned up the junk in it and checked antivirus, but still does it. Found a place on ebay that charges 60 bucks to fix the switch, but I'm not 10000000% certain it is the switch. I can get an S5 for 200 through Sprint and my eligibily, but man, hate to spend that kind of money when maybe 60 bucks will suffice. Have any of ya'll had a similar problem with any of the Galaxy series phones'??

Also, what CPU does this computer have? If it's the AMD E-300, then that's a really weak processor by today's standards, and that may be your issue as well. My wife has an old HP netbook with a similar CPU and 3GB RAM, and that thing is awfully slow. Just barely passable for web browsing, but I would never think of using it for any kind of gaming.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
The only thing that computer is used for is internet and computer games.

These are on two opposite sides of the spectrum. Internet browsing is low-demand while gaming is high-demand (depending on what you're playing, of course). 4 gigs would be a nice upgrade and 8 gigs even better but probably unnecessary. 2 gigs of laptop RAM (to add to your current 2 gigs, assuming it's in one SODIMM and you have a free slot) should only be around $20.

This is for 64-bit Windows 7 I assume?

Yes, 64 bit. It has the AMD dual-core E-300 running at 1G Hertz. Isn't that fast enough, CPU wise? I was thinking of two, 2 Gig cards....but you have a point, get a single 4 Gig card and keep the 1 Gig that's with it. Would it matter if one card is 1 Gig and the other is 4, or does it have to be balanced like 2x2, or 4x4 as opposed to 1x4??? I don't know.

Well, it was two years ago Christmas special at Walmart for 100 dollars. Has served well so far. Minecraft doesn't look to be graphic intensive....I mean, it's pretty simple graphics, everything is in blocks, nothing fancy like these modern games. I mean, my Wii has better graphics for the games.

It has the AMD dual-core E-300 running at 1G Hertz. Isn't that fast enough, CPU wise?

If you look at the recommended requirements I posted above, they recommend something like Intel Core i3. Even the weakest i3 CPU is significantly more powerful than AMD E-300, I'm afraid.

Assuming you have two slots, I'd try out a 4 gig stick, and maybe another 4 gig stick down the road if it seems to help. I honestly wouldn't spend too much cash on it though.

Your money might almost be better spent on a new $100 special computer.

As for the phone, I would personally not spend $60 for a repair that isn't guaranteed to work, especially on an older phone. Phones are unfortunately disposable nowadays. Why not get an S4 for free with contract renewal?

With the S2 you are at the mercy of skill vs money. I failed to swap a screen and was down 70 bucks as a result, and still had to buy a phone. I believe the power button was as easy as changing oil. Just pop the back off and see ( I just can't remember to be honest)

With your PC, heh, it's just short of being a dinosaur. Memory will give you a nudge, not a huge boost. Cheapest way is to do a factory reset -- new OS will yield optimum performance. I keep my computers running faster and longer because I avoid updates. The 10,000 RPM Hard drive will give you a boost, but you are still re-installing windows(linux or [censored]). To give your computer steroids and make it keep up you need a solid state drive. The trick is that they will last much less than HDD. Best way (same can be done for 10k HDD to maximize performance) is to put windows on SSD and applications and files on a hard disk. The less you write to SSD, the longer it lasts. If you get an ssd for your operating system, and a 10K for apps, with ram (make sure latency and MHZ speed is max supported) you might need to get a seat belt.

And the money that is spent polishing a turd can be spent on a new tower. They range from under 300. I'd do this

Last edited:
I looked up the power switch change on youtube....whoa nelly, it's a lot of work and wayyyyy above my skill level. I'm on the fence post, but I think I'll just take the plunge and get a S5. With my eligibility, I can get a new S5 for 200, but sign a two year contract. Been with Sprint for, like, ever, not seeing any reason to change now so 2 year contract doesn't bother me.
Computer....I'm on the fence post. Wife and I really don't use it at all at the house. Just about what little computing I need is done here at work, like paying bills, plus is a much more secure system. But for the little one, just trying to patch it together to appease her. She loves mindcraft and I've seen some of her work, she's pretty good at building things...I mean, it's better than having her play something xbox or wii IMHO. I think I'll try the single, 4 gig stick to see how that goes. I will help some, at least I would think any surfing on the net would be quicker at least. Appreciate the insights. That's why I come here. Honest answers from knowlegeble folks.

Before slapping RAM in make sure you find out if is sing or dual channel, if single then max ram in one stick, if dual then split between two to get ma efficiency. CAS latency is immportant, but as the Mhz rating, make sure you gt the fastest for the money ( they are backward compatible to slower systems).

It's duo, I was wondering about that. Getting ready to order a 4 gig single. You think two 2 gigs would be better?

No, it's 2 x 1 gig.....that's why I was thinking of getting one 4 gig stick, swap it out with a 1 gig, then have a total of 5 gigs.

Go eith 4gb to start..check how many slots are in use/free.

I have an S2 and had that trouble but mine fixed itself after OS upgrade..so might not be hardware related. What OS is it running? Im now at 4.1.2 android os.

Not sure, but I checked the upgrades and it claims it's current.

Only two slots.

Yes, 64 bit. It has the AMD dual-core E-300 running at 1G Hertz. Isn't that fast enough, CPU wise? I was thinking of two, 2 Gig cards....but you have a point, get a single 4 Gig card and keep the 1 Gig that's with it. Would it matter if one card is 1 Gig and the other is 4, or does it have to be balanced like 2x2, or 4x4 as opposed to 1x4??? I don't know.

You'd like to match the RAM. Most applications it's not a huge deal, but it can make a difference. I'd just bump it to 4GB. That's plenty for what you're using it for.

Your processor is slow. You'll free up a little bit by expanding the RAM and Minecraft will likely play smoother that it's meeting the minimum reqs.

Two years on a $100 PC is pretty good value.

Yeah, that's what I did, got 2 X 2 gigs of ram for about 41 bucks. Figured I'd try it. My main concern was putting too much RAM vs. the CPU speed thing....no sense wasting money if it will only help but so much. Also, going to 4 gigs affectly doubles the current RAM, if that doesn't really help, no way 8 would make a difference. The one thing that made me look into upgrading the RAM was that when we first got the computer, it ran like a screaming chicken, and Mindcraft worked beautifully. She was a happy camper. But, with updates, malware, antivirus and what the heck else, it has slowed down in time. Appreciate all ya'lls reply. Gave me some pretty good points to ponder. On the phone, I just went ahead and ordered an S5, got it for 199....I just felt like chasing that problem ghost would just waste my money, especially not knowing exactly what the problem was. But, turns out it's good for me!!!! Wife said, "tell you what, I know you've been wanting the S5 and I only need a phone that works and does text, you give me your old phone and you take the new one." After making sure she was serious, SCORE!! Plus, she told me no sense in her getting a fancy phone because she is a nurse and leaves her phone laying around all over the place. Our S2 is effectively out of date and I don't think anyone would be enticed to steal it. But still, it's 200 dollars.....

Well, ya'll were right....didn't doubt ya'll, just had to try it. Got the new memory installed, computer in general is much faster, but minecraft is pegging the cpu at 100%. RAM is showing around 2.36G useage. It's a little faster, but my daughter says it's still "laggy." Wish I could just run minecraft without having to go through all that windows [censored]...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back