The first 747 gets a redo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cool!

Its hard to believe that even the 747-400's are getting old enough that they're being pulled from service.

But then I don't feel as old as I am, either. :p

Seattle's Museum of Flight is one of the world's great aviation museums. I have a strong personal affinity for it.

There's a Tomcat in my old squadron colors out front. Upstairs, there is an F-4U Corsair that's been beautifully restored. Many of us contributed to its restoration. There's a very small plaque memorializing LTJG Jerome Schuchart, a classmate of mine who was killed in a midair in 1989. I was there for the induction of the Corsair into the collection in 1992.

Back on topic. Seeing the 747 restored is great. I've got five years of flying the -400 model. I love that jet.

I would highly recommend reading the book "747" by Joe Sutter, the lead engineer on the project. The 747 was intended to make back some losses on developing the Boeing competitor in the USAF Large Cargo Aircraft competition which was won by Lockheed. Boeing estimated that they might sell 50 or so of the huge airplanes.

Instead, they sold thousands. And revolutionized air travel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Seattle's Museum of Flight is one of the world's great aviation museums. I have a strong personal affinity for it.

There's a Tomcat in my old squadron colors out front. Upstairs, there is an F-4U Corsair that's been beautifully restored. Many of us contributed to its restoration. There's a very small plaque memorializing LTJG Jerome Schuchart, a classmate of mine who was killed in a midair in 1989. I was there for the induction of the Corsair into the collection in 1992.

Back on topic. Seeing the 747 restored is great. I've got five years of flying the -400 model. I love that jet.

I would highly recommend reading the book "747" by Joe Sutter, the lead engineer on the project. The 747 was intended to make back some losses on developing the Boeing competitor in the USAF Large Cargo Aircraft competition which was won by Lockheed. Boeing estimated that they might sell 50 or so of the huge airplanes.

Instead, they sold thousands. And revolutionized air travel.

Flying - as in piloting?

I've only stepped foot aboard one 747, and it was a 744 freighter. Never have had the chance to ride the passenger variant.

It's been a sad year for the 747 - EVA, Qantas, and ANA retired their 747's, and other carriers, even Delta, have announced plans to retire theirs soon as well. Iran Air retired their (and the very last flying) 747-100 this year too, along with their 747SP (although that type still flies for a few governments).

Yep, as in pilot for United, where I was an instructor on the airplane and flew it in line service from 1997 to 2002.

It has been a sad year for the 747. It is the queen of the skies. The airplane handles well, has good control harmony and control feel. It's fast, cruising at .86 mach. It's a pilot's airplane. I've landed it in 40+ knot crosswinds in Osaka, Japan. Interesting airport by the way, artificial island in the bay. There is no demonstrated crosswind limit for the 747...there are only published guidelines...

It's a great jet. One of my favorites.

Yep, as in pilot for United, where I was an instructor on the airplane and flew it in line service from 1997 to 2002.

It has been a sad year for the 747. It is the queen of the skies. The airplane handles well, has good control harmony and control feel. It's fast, cruising at .86 mach. It's a pilot's airplane. I've landed it in 40+ knot crosswinds in Osaka, Japan. Interesting airport by the way, artificial island in the bay. There is no demonstrated crosswind limit for the 747...there are only published guidelines...

Very cool. My home airport is IAH, so we don't see the UA 744. Although, on occasion, we do get the older all-economy charter 744 that does mostly military jobs.

I've had a few opportunities to chat with 744 crews and they all say the same thing you just did - it's a pilot's plane. The line I always remember from a BA 744 captain was something like "You get to really fly the plane, rather than program it to fly."

Astro14,

I instructed on the -400 for Northwest from delivery (90?) until around 1996. United used to dry lease our simulators at NATCO and I got to know one of your instructors by the name of Gil Chase. Whatever happened to him?

The -400 flew like a dream with plenty of power, had the best crew bunks, fantastic FMC's (at the time), fantastic autopilot and autoland system, and also had wonderful system synoptic pages. I came from the 3-holer and thought I died and went to heaven on that airplane. It was the 12-14 day trips with 6 transpacific crossings that got old real fast however. Delta retired of the -400's with one as a hot spare, and had plans to retire the rest in the next couple of years, but with the price of oil dropping rather quickly, those planes might not be retired as soon as expected.

Thanks-

757guy

Last edited:
757guy - I've not met Gil, so I apologize in advance. I don't think he's at the training center now. Ironically, I just started back at our training center. I'm flying OE on the 757-200 and 767-400 this week and next before starting instructor training in Denver next month. I like the airplane. Flew it for a while as FO out of JFK a decade ago.

United not only leased simulators, we leased airplanes as well. I flew one of the NWA jets, and there was something different about it that I can't recall now...an extra ADP maybe? Something in the hydraulic pumps, I think...

Meanwhile, If you run across Bryan "Nose" Dickerson at DAL (he's an old NWA guy, was doing something with new hires, now working with tech ops, I think), tell him Astro says hi.

Cheers,
Astro

Astro14,

Our -400's had the 3000# horizontal stabilizer fuel tanks, could that be what you were thinking? (If the horizontal stabilizer fuel transfer pumps fail, you land immediately due to aft CG limitations during landing if you burn main tanks down too far.) I don't remember anything about an extra ADP, but I'm getting to the age where I cannot remember all the previous airplane differences anymore. Didn't you guys have 2 fixed based -400 simulators in Denver that where called Fred and SuperFred? I remember visiting your training center with our 747-400 Fleet Captain and we where told to stay away from that design - it was a disaster. A guy by the name of Chuck Ferrari was one of your Captains that was a simulator guru.

Between the DC-9-10,-30,-40,-50,-80,-88,-90, 727, 747-200, 747-400, A320, 757-200, -300 and 767-300 I'm amazed that I remember anything at all. The limitations I remember best are from the 747-400: Max Taxi 873,000 lbs., Max takeoff 870,000 lbs., and Max landing weight of 670,000 lbs. (I think!)

Throw in ops specs, tailwind limits, crosswind limits, takeoff performance requirements - second segment climb gradients, etc., and I'm glad we don't have to commit everything to memory anymore. That's why there are 2 of us flying the plane and I cannot imagine it ever going to single pilot like NASA is studying right now.

"Nose" Dickerson's name rings a bell, but you know how this business is, you fly with someone once, and you may not see them again for another 6 or 7 years and they suddenly have retired never to be heard from again. Makes me miss the old days...we sure had some good guys to fly with over our careers.

Fly safe and enjoy the schoolhouse!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
757guy,

How many years you been a commercial pilot / flight hours ?

30 years last May with the same airline - Northwest/Delta. 20,000 hours or more. I quit counting a long time ago.

If you parked all the 747s nose to tail, you'd have 66 miles of 747s.

I just couldn't resist. Imagine traveling at highway speed for a full hour, one 747 after another...

I go past the Museum of Flight 5 days a week....or more. I've seen the F-14 Astro speaks of...and of course...the old 747 (looks great now...it was a mess for a very long time).
Girlfriend works directly across the street from the museum and about 600 yards from that 747.

Speaking of 747's, found out today a Kalitta 747-200 will be paying us a visit tomorrow. I'll be at work and won't be able to check it out. Darnit. Been itching to try and get a shot of a 742 FE station forever.

Originally Posted By: Fordtrucktexan
Speaking of 747's, found out today a Kalitta 747-200 will be paying us a visit tomorrow. I'll be at work and won't be able to check it out. Darnit. Been itching to try and get a shot of a 742 FE station forever.

That's kind of interesting as I've seen that 747 at the Seattle/Tacoma airport before. It was in the cargo area where you see all the FedEx aircraft...of course.

Originally Posted By: 757guy
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
757guy,

How many years you been a commercial pilot / flight hours ?

30 years last May with the same airline - Northwest/Delta. 20,000 hours or more. I quit counting a long time ago.

I would love to have a career like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back