How to distinguish vinyl from leather

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Lexol conditioner for real leather.

Their cleaner works well too but I try to use it sparingly.

Easy to find locally at TSC or anywhere that sells horse tack.

Certainly available on line at Autogeek.net

Where vinyl protectans harm the leather from what I've read is the stitching. I've read and have been told that vinyl protectants can harm/destroy the stitching that holds the various leather panels together. Whether it's leather or vinyl/leather mix,use only dedicated leather cleaners and conditioners.

On the subject of Lexol,I've tried to make myself like it (because I love the way it smells) but it always leaves the surface too sticky.

Originally Posted By: zray
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Many a "Nauga" died to make those seats.

the hyde of the nauga is highly prized among the trappers I know.

hillbilly Z
They have to be baited with Snipe.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
On virtually any car only the actual seating area is leather. All the sides and back are vinyl.

Goes for almost any price range, too, within reason...

With at least one notable current exception: Toyota, which uses a form of vinyl in its up-market interiors, including seating surfaces (and charges extra for the privilege).

When my brother in law bought his Mercedes Benz, every E-350 on the lot had MB Tex. You had to get an E550 or AMG E63 for real leather from dealer stock.

Originally Posted By: Danh
On virtually any car only the actual seating area is leather. All the sides and back are vinyl.

Goes for almost any price range, too, within reason...

With at least one notable current exception: Toyota, which uses a form of vinyl in its up-market interiors, including seating surfaces (and charges extra for the privilege).

And will never get a penny from my home! But seriously, I was speaking of cars that advertise their Leather Interior...

BMW has an "extended leather" option where even the dash and headliner are leather, LOL!
grin.gif

Off topic but I found it funny.

So when I was looking for saddlebags for my bike I saw many manufacturers proudly displaying "synthetic leather" like its some kind of better quality or better product than its leather counterpart.
Not that I'd use it on leather seats but for most any heavy leather product i own,such as my apron for work,saddlebags,ball gloves etc I use dubbin. It repels and impedes the absorption or water which is important for my apron(tool pouch) and saddle bags.
For finished coloured leather I try to find specific products that suits the application.
Vinyl today(synthetic leather) is getting harder to get away from. And the finish has gotten somewhat better which makes it less of an eyesore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back