Small Car Tire Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Folks! While I am a longtime fan of BITOG and greatly appreciate all the insight and comments across the forum, I thought I'd finally come out of the woodwork and raise a question to get some advice from the crowd. My wife and I live in an urban environment where we utilize public transportation, but still need two cars at times for various work responsibilities and tasks. Our mainstay (the Mazda) is just fine but our secondary car, a 2003 Hyundai Accent, is going to need some new rubber sooner than later. The main tasks of the car and it's profile:

-2003 Hyundai Accent GL
-Tire size: P175/70R13 82T
-Averages about 5-6K miles on the road per year.
-Mostly around town errands with seldom a drive longer than 30 miles roundtrip.
-Some brief highway driving at times but nothing too taxing.

As this is our secondary car and one I imagine won't be with us for too many more years, one of my goals is to make a wise investment in terms of reliability and safety without going beyond what's really needed. As you can see from above, this car isn't a heavy lifter and is fairly modest in it's weekly driving. Ideally I'm going to aim for four new tires though I could potentially add two for now and two later.

So far this is my list and I've gone from most expensive to cheapest in terms of ballpark cost. I suppose what I would love to hear from folks is if they have any strong feelings one way or the other on any of these, or perhaps if there's a tire that's just fine towards the bottom of the list that can do the job as well as the others. OR if there's a tire or company I'm missing that I should think about. At some point it might be semantics, but this is one of my favorite hobbies, so have at it!

Cooper Lifeliner GLS
Kumho Sense KR26
Hankook Optimo H725
Futura 2000 LTE
GT Radial Champiro VP1
Milestar MS732
Cornell 1000
Douglas Xtra Trac II

Tire Rack has the General Altimax RT43 (highly regarded on here) for $54 each. Since 13" tires are dirt cheap I'd go for the upper level tires.

I've always been a fan of Kumho. A quick Tire Rack search shows the Sense KR26 you listed at $46/tire and Solus KR21 at $52. The Solus has a better warranty and snow traction ratings - an important consideration since you're in the Northeast.

They also have the General AltiMAX RT43 at $54 and the ratings are very impressive, particularly in snow. The warranty is also solid at 6 yrs/75K miles. Not sure if the warranty's transferable but may be attractive to a prospective buyer if it is - seeing as you said you may sell the car down the road.

Firestone Destination LE2, good reviews, quiet, good in rain and has some snow capabilities. Have them and like em bit I have dedicated snow tires.

Last edited:
Agreed with above recommendation of General Altimax RT43.

If you can wait few months either Discount Tire and/or Discount Tire Direct may have some rebates to reduce purchase price.

Thanks for the awesome advice so far. I remember I did see the General tire listed somewhere but have had no experience with the brand myself. Certainly see them everywhere though, and it's great to hear positive feedback on them as well.

I had the Kumho KR21s in your size on a Ford Aspire - they were terrible in the snow in my application at least, and went no where near the warranty.

I see Michelin Defenders are also sold on your size on Tirerack - I don't have an opinion on them but just wanted to throw it out there.

Have Lifeliner GLS on my Focus in the summer and a friend put them on his Accord. Great tire for what you pay!

Only issue I had was someone slashed them after a month of having them.

I gotta echo the others for, that size and availability, the General Altimax RT43 are probably the best choice.

Ultimately, the tires are one of the most important components when it comes to safety. Tire in that size are all going to be relatively inexpensive, so it isn't too much more to bump up to a known tire like the RT43.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
tires are like underwear, some fit different,ride different,,just get me there...lol

Except nobody has yet died of underwear separation. Well, maybe died of embarrassment...

I'm out in left field here but I bet you can find pristine used tires because few cars anymore take 13 inchers.

Hit the junkyards and lowball 'em. $15 up here.

The good news is 175/70/13 is pretty much "the 13 inch size" now that covers all the bases and is about all you can find.

If you aren't urgently in need of tires, that size is the "newspaper special" "starting at $24.99" sometimes.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Michelin "X" $42.00 each.

Where does one find Michelin tires at $42 each? Not sure I've seen that out there.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Firestone Destination LE2, good reviews, quiet, good in rain and has some snow capabilities. Have them and like em bit I have dedicated snow tires.

For a small car with 13" wheels?

Please, start reading more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back