Ford GT coming back, Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love those cars! I saw a new one on the floor in 2006 from a dealer going out of business and it sold for about 45K--I should have bought it.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Love those cars! I saw a new one on the floor in 2006 from a dealer going out of business and it sold for about 45K--I should have bought it.

WHAT?!?!? I wish I had seen that.

No v8? No thank you!
Yes the twin turbo 3.5 V6 efficiently kicks out tons of power but the GT should always have a V8 in my opinion! They should have used the supercharged 5.0 or the new flat plane crank V8 from the GT350 in this and shoved the TTV6 in something else not called the GT
But hey, that's just my opinion :p

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
No v8? No thank you!
Yes the twin turbo 3.5 V6 efficiently kicks out tons of power but the GT should always have a V8 in my opinion! They should have used the supercharged 5.0 or the new flat plane crank V8 from the GT350 in this and shoved the TTV6 in something else not called the GT
But hey, that's just my opinion :p
Correct. You don't pay that kind of dough to be part of an automotive social experiment. Not when the real hardware is on the shelf.

Last edited:
I'm a big ecoboost fan. And with all the lightweight parts on the car the engine should be a new school lightweight and advanced piece of machinery like the eb but you guys feel the same way as I do with the gtr being a v6 not a straight 6 like the skyline. I do think the new model is pretty cool and at least has some styling cues from the old one. I'm sure you could eventually get a programmer for that 600hp eb and get at least another couple hundred hp out of it. I know the truck eb guys are getting 500 hp out of them easily and reliably!

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I'm a huge fan of the V-6 also. Two less cylinders to feed makes for better MPGs.

I agree. less reciprocating mass will help for sure. quicker revving as well. kinda more like an indy car instead of a stock car.

Quote:
Ford built the new GT to run in the LeMans GTE racing class, which has pretty severe displacement restrictions - a turbo V6 was the smart choice if they want to be competitive in that class. Due to homologation rules, the street car has to have the same basic engine as the race version, so we got a 600HP Ecoboost GT.

Quote from CatSplat on reddit.

No V-12?
31.gif

But I am sure it is ana amazing car.

Anyone remember the last V6 supercar: the Acura NSX?

I'm a huge fan of the V-6 also. Two less cylinders to feed makes for better MPGs.
Yeah, because people that buy Ford GT's are extremely concerned about fuel economy...good grief

MPG is not really a consideration of this type of car. V-8 , well, OK but just as a minimum. A brand new V-12 would"ve been something special.

Z.

Originally Posted By: zray
A brand new V-12 would"ve been something special.

I'm thinking it would make this car incredibly nose heavy.

Nothing against the Ecoboost v6 in this application, but am I the only one that thinks their flat-crank V8 that's supposedly going in the net GT350 would be the PERFECT powerplant for the next Ford GT?!?

After all, the original was v8 powered using a 90-degree crank 427, but it had the "nest of snakes" manifolds that made it sound like a flat-plane v8. I don't think the flat-plane v8 would even be heavier than an Ecoboost either, at least not significantly.. Its light inherently because the crank has so much smaller counter-weights than a 90-degree crank (or a v6 crank), and doesn't need turbos, intercooling, and associated plumbing.

Putting the Ecoboost in there seems more marketing and pushing the Ecoboost brand than actual performance, in this case.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
No V-12?
31.gif

But I am sure it is ana amazing car.

Anyone remember the last V6 supercar: the Acura NSX?

Indeed... and that car is coming back, too.
smile.gif
new-acura-nsx--0016.0.jpg

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Nothing against the Ecoboost v6 in this application, but am I the only one that thinks their flat-crank V8 that's supposedly going in the net GT350 would be the PERFECT powerplant for the next Ford GT?!?

After all, the original was v8 powered using a 90-degree crank 427, but it had the "nest of snakes" manifolds that made it sound like a flat-plane v8. I don't think the flat-plane v8 would even be heavier than an Ecoboost either, at least not significantly.. Its light inherently because the crank has so much smaller counter-weights than a 90-degree crank (or a v6 crank), and doesn't need turbos, intercooling, and associated plumbing.

Putting the Ecoboost in there seems more marketing and pushing the Ecoboost brand than actual performance, in this case.

The ecoboost can be turned up to X hp relatively easily compared to the NA V8, so if they want to tune it up to hyper car performance, they can without a major engine redesign.
I think for a halo car they wanted to make sure it could be as powerful as needed, as they would catch all sorts of flack if it was too slow with only 550hp...
I agree though, that probably as a drivers car, the V8 would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back