Steering Wheel Reupholstery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had their steering wheel's leather come apart to the point where there's a 3"x1" tear in the leather? The rest of it is deteriorating to the point where it gets all over my hands every time I drive. Highly annoying. The car is only 8 years old. The shift knob and boot are falling apart too, but it's not as bad and isn't as bothersome.

I figure I could always replace the wheel. I found the part on GMPartsDirect for $230 shipped. RedlineGoods can reupholster the stock one, but it'll cost more than that.

I guess what I am asking is, has anyone dealt with this issue before? Should I try a local automotive upholstery shop and see what they say?

There's a shop on ebay out of Dallas that'll recover your stock steering wheel. The price is usually close to the price for a new OEM wheel though.

I've always found good condition leather steering wheels online (ebay usually, or a forum dedicated to the type) and slapped them on.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
That sounds like a good junkyard item.

Good idea. There's a good sized yard about 15 minutes from my house. I might have to check them out tomorrow.

To oilpsi2high and Bandito440: Must disagree with you on a junkyard steering wheel.
It'll be nearly as old as the one you're replacing and would require all the wheel removal work.
I suppose you could get lucky.

I have no idea about recovering one. No do-it-yourself kit ever looked "tight as a baseball".

I've had great luck with junkyard steering wheels actually. They are usually fairly inexpensive (rejuvenator and they'll come out looking very nice!

I'll third the Wheelskins fix. I ordered a two-tone cover for the wheel on my old Honda. Perfect fit. Black/Maroon - matched the dashboard colors.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Duct tape?

Nah, electrical friction tape around the whole wheel, like the good ol' NASCAR boys of old!
smile.gif

I put a Wheelskins cover on my Accord's wheel a few years ago and I have not been impressed with how it has held up: the string has broken down by the knot, and the leather is in very poor condition, too.

I can't remember how long I've had it and the car was not garaged, so it lived a hard life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back