03 Subaru Forester drinking oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
A co-worker has this 03 Forester that he bought a couple of years ago, mileage unknown then, 180K now. Today he told me it's using a quart of oil per fillup! He has a 50 mile one-way commute on an interstate, but doesn't drive it every day. Says all around town driving doesn't use so much oil per fillup. No leaks and it doesn't smoke much. Where is the oil going and is there any hope that HM oil or other additive might slow this down? I don't know what oil he's using right now. He's had some different problems with it from day one of ownership, this is truly one of those cars that was someone else's problem that got traded in. He discovered the oil usage shortly after he bought it but the dealer was no help. Any ideas?

At that rate it should be a mosquito fogger if it's not leaking. which I'm sure it is. He will have to get someone to look at it if he can't figure it out.

It's burning it. Check the PCV system. Otherwise, valve guides and seals or worse, rings, all of which cost a few bucks to troubleshoot. If it's reached two cycle crop duster condition the problem ought to be easy to find.

Last edited:
If there is noticeable smoke, it is burning the oil.
Some of those Subaru engines had oil consumption issues. A co worker has an Impreza that started consuming oil at under 30k.

Originally Posted By: abycat
He might also need a new cat. I'm sure it will be plugged by the time this is figured out.
It's the cat system which hides a lot of the smoke output by burning it. It can't last forever doing that.

Following out of the parking lot and not seeing blue smoke can be caused by the lighting, the angle of the sun. To see smoke correctly or bestly(sp?) the sun needs to light the smoke from behind. My recent car I thought didn't burn oil, I was especially proud after a my valve head re-build. (140K Dodge 2.0L SOHC). Then my daughter drove away once and I finally saw that tell-tale sign. It was only a quart per OCI, which was 4K at the time. My guess is my rings were starting to go. Never saw it when driving. Maybe pull a spark plug(s) and examine them on your freinds car?

subaru are funny. they seem to burn more oil while going on long trips than short stop and goes.

Change the PVC valve and see what happens. they are easy to change and inexpensive

I would check everything above, and would also check the coolant to see if any oil is getting into it. Subaru's from the late 90's into the 2000's are known for head gasket issues, so it would be worth looking into it.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
I asked about the PCV valve, he hasn't changed it. Nobody is suggesting this kind of usage can be slowed by HM oil or MMM or Seafoam or AT-205 etc?

A quart of oil per 200-300 miles isn't something a simple fix like a HM oil is going to be able to take care of. That is some very major consumption going on.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
I asked about the PCV valve, he hasn't changed it. Nobody is suggesting this kind of usage can be slowed by HM oil or MMM or Seafoam or AT-205 etc?

Have him change PCV valve..though I doubt its the main issue here..as others of said..thats heavy usage.

Rings, guides or stem seals I'll bet...unless the PCV circuit is badly designed or compromised in soe way, in which case VTA or VTE would be the solution

Does this friend tend to embellish things from time to time? Are you certain that he knows how to check the oil? Sometimes the car isn't the problem.

I would think an oil leak is present. I have seen many of the early with weeping oil issues and they can leak and the oil work its way back to the rear of the vehicle. What tends to happen, is the valve covers or main seals will leak oil it gets blown back onto the exhaust headers (if you smell smke after a highway trip but you might not smell it as much while driving)... it would contribute to any oil consumption since you see it smoking. I would say the HG would be suspect in the 90's Legacy/Impreza than the Foresters. The Foresters always have the Phase II, so while possible, it is less likely and NORMALLY you will have a definite coolant leak to notify you of that failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back