Best Conventional Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Friend has a 2004 Chevy Avalanche with the 5.3 that he bought with good service records which has 150,000 miles and was needing advice on Conventional Motor Oil, which he is set on using. He isn't interested in Synthetic oils at all but was wondering what some of the best Conventional Oils would be considering he is going to be buying it in the big drum for all his vehicles which require 5w30. He was also wondering what a good OCI would be considering he has mixed driving of city/highway with some dirt roads on occasion. He isn't stuck on the 3,000 mile OCI either. Any thoughts or recomendations because I use PP and recomended GTX to Him. Any recomendations are welcome within reason.

Any name brand conventional would do just fine for him. I would suggest PYB, but opinions will vary.

I'd go 4500-5000 miles especially with the good service records.. Just tell him to get his engine to operating temperature as frequently as possible. This is the key IMO. Make sure the air filter is good too because of the dirt roads.

*PYB suggested in the first 2 comments. Nice!
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Valvoline Conventional. It can usually be bought in drums cheap.

My second recommendation would be Mobil Super 5000

When i looked into 55 gal drums of oil for my uncles shop PYB was much more expensive than Valvoline and mobil conventionals.

Last edited:
I would go by the OLM. My mom usually gets about 7000 miles on her 04 avalanche before the olm hits 2%. I change her oil for her and I use what ever is on sale.

Last edited:
Any name brand that meets the car specs...Castrol, Pennzoil, Quakerstate, Valvoline, etc. will work just fine. They will need to try and find which brand makes their car the happiest. I would suggest an OCI of anything from 4-5,000 miles with a decent filter.

Last edited:
Since he wanted best and did not mention cost apparently,

PENNZOIL YELLOW BOTTLE

He would be just as well served by any name brand though IMO.

Valvoline would be next pick.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
The cheapest on the shelf that is API certified.

They have different additive packages, and there is a difference between meet and exceed certifications. The cheapest one would be best in terms of cost only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back