Streaming Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I just about have the wife convinced to go streaming and cut Dish off.
I am looking at the Roku Stick. I have a older HDTV that has no USB port so Chromecast is out.

There is streaming DVD players that is a option as well. I have a Blu Ray player but its old like me so no streaming is built in.

I do have a laptop I could use I guess? has HDMI ports.

I thought the roku stuck also used USB for power? Either way a usb charger is cheap and would work.

I would not get a blu ray for this, we have a Sony and it's simply not enjoyable to navigate the UI. I'd get a Roku 3 or possibly their streaming stick. Get the best user interface and overall experience possible to make it more likely you (or more likely your wife) won't run back to Dish.

I'd probably also sign up for Netflix and Hulu Plus right away, and if you don't use one or the other cancel it.

Sounds like a lot, but then all that is about 100 bucks so even if you only last a month you break even.

As cool as the chromecast is, if you have to ask you're better off with the Roku. IMO either way you're better off with the Roku. The extra 50 bucks will be long forgotten when you're still enjoying an actual remote two years later.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
I thought the roku stuck also used USB for power? Either way a usb charger is cheap and would work.

I would not get a blu ray for this, we have a Sony and it's simply not enjoyable to navigate the UI. I'd get a Roku 3 or possibly their streaming stick. Get the best user interface and overall experience possible to make it more likely you (or more likely your wife) won't run back to Dish.

I'd probably also sign up for Netflix and Hulu Plus right away, and if you don't use one or the other cancel it.

Sounds like a lot, but then all that is about 100 bucks so even if you only last a month you break even.

As cool as the chromecast is, if you have to ask you're better off with the Roku. IMO either way you're better off with the Roku. The extra 50 bucks will be long forgotten when you're still enjoying an actual remote two years later.

Thanks,
this is what I am looking at.
http://www.amazon.com/Roku-3500R-Streami...streaming+stick

I suggested investing the savings in a mutual fund for whatever.

Many USB ports do not have enough power to power the streaming sticks so it might not work. I know my amazon fire stick had to be plugged in.

My favorite streaming device out of the 3 I have is the Roku3. You can get them at Costco and refurbs at newegg and other places.

But yea I cut the cord maybe a decade ago and have not looked back. Have as large antenna in the attic and 2 rokus's ands 1 amazon fire stick.

I have:

A Roku 2
An Apple TV
A Samsung Smart TV

Of the three, I'd say I like the Roku the most because it has channels I can subscribe to. It handles Netflix and Amazon Instant out of the box. Easy to set up and it works well.

The Apple TV was the first one I had. Not bad, but it doesn't do Amazon. Does do iTunes, and can stream movies from my computer.

I also have a Blu-ray that has streaming ability, but I don't use it for that purpose.

I have the Samsung Smart..last year was using putlocker.com but that seems to have turned into a pop-up mess.. was wondering where the free movies went?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
I have a older HDTV that has no USB port so Chromecast is out.

Chromecast comes with a regular power adapter, too, so you don't have to use USB at all.

But at this point, I think I'd just get Amazon Fire Stick instead - it has more robust hardware.

Amazon Fire stick, or Roku3
Both work very well, with slight edge to Roku for being snappier, and better channel selection.

No experience with Chromecast, but i wouldn't personally get a streaming device without a remote, even if smart phones apps are available.

My Smart TV can also stream and do DLNA etc, but dedicated streaming devices we have (Fire stick and Roku) outpace the TV in pic quality and in responsiveness of the UI. (not by a lot, though)

The Roku 3 is, in my experience, a far more refined product than the Amazon Fire Stick. Nothing wrong with the Fire Stick per se...it's just not as fast, and the interface is clunky. It's obviously an Amazon product that puts Amazon channels front and center. If you're not tied to the Amazon ecosystem, there are better products. Rokus in particular are agnostic to channel or platform. No one channel gets priority in the interface and the unified search actually searches all channels, not just Amazon Prime. With the Fire Stick, if you want to see search results for shows on Netflix or Hulu, you have to go into each of the apps and use their search feature. With the Roku, you use the unified search and it finds results on any channel out there.

I appreciate the Fire Stick for what it is, and especially for the price I paid ($19 on pre-order). After having one and using it for a while, I would not pay full price ($39) for it. I'd buy the Roku stick ($49) many times over first. And actually, the Roku 3 box ($89 or $99 depending on where you get it) blows them both out of the water, and gets my vote, even at twice the price (or more). It's twice the product (or more).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I have a older HDTV that has no USB port so Chromecast is out.

Chromecast comes with a regular power adapter, too, so you don't have to use USB at all.

But at this point, I think I'd just get Amazon Fire Stick instead - it has more robust hardware.

Ok Thanks! Did not know that.
Looks like I have here converted. She likes the Roku3. She has been looking for cooking shows. She likes those. I end up being the test rat.....

Last edited:
Have the ChromeCast, co-worker has an older Roku stick. Both work great. If you are a video/audio phile you'll like how ChromeCast gets raw videos from YouTube/Google services. It also outputs PCM surround probably derived from Dolby Digital or DTS. It even switches to the correct # of channels and sampling rate. AKA. 2 channel 44.1 for music 2 channel 48k for videos or 5.1 48k for Google Play movies.

However since you mentioned a wife, get the Roku stick. It comes with a remote. The ChromeCast wants you to use your phone/tablet/PC etc to control it. Even for pausing which I found annoying.

Originally Posted By: razel
Have the ChromeCast, co-worker has an older Roku stick. Both work great. If you are a video/audio phile you'll like how ChromeCast gets raw videos from YouTube/Google services. It also outputs PCM surround probably derived from Dolby Digital or DTS. It even switches to the correct # of channels and sampling rate. AKA. 2 channel 44.1 for music 2 channel 48k for videos or 5.1 48k for Google Play movies.

However since you mentioned a wife, get the Roku stick. It comes with a remote. The ChromeCast wants you to use your phone/tablet/PC etc to control it. Even for pausing which I found annoying.

We decided on the stick tonight. I plan to run it through my Yamaha receiver to get full surround sound. She does have a tablet that I turned into a remote. Not quite the same but does show what is on.

We decided on the stick tonight. I plan to run it through my Yamaha receiver to get full surround sound. She does have a tablet that I turned into a remote. Not quite the same but does show what is on.

Which stick? ChromeCast (which is a stick), Roku stick, or Amazon Fire stick?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Which stick? ChromeCast (which is a stick), Roku stick, or Amazon Fire stick?

AAAAACCK, my bad!! was early when I posted. The Roku HDMI streaming stick.
Dish is trying hard to keep me, sent me some PPV vouchers for free movies. using them then gone.
Will sign up with Netflix first.

Dish is trying hard to keep me, sent me some PPV vouchers for free movies. using them then gone.

Good plan (Netflix). I can live without Hulu, but my wife watches a bunch of stuff on it. I do find some value in Amazon Prime as well, but we mostly have it for benefits of Amazon shopping rather than video/music. Even still...with 15down/1up broadband, Netflix, Hulu Plus, AND Amazon Prime all taken together, we're paying $74/month, which is half or less compared with what we were paying for video service a few years ago.

If you can do just broadband and Netflix, you can get by pretty cheap.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Good plan (Netflix). I can live without Hulu, but my wife watches a bunch of stuff on it. I do find some value in Amazon Prime as well, but we mostly have it for benefits of Amazon shopping rather than video/music. Even still...with 15down/1up broadband, Netflix, Hulu Plus, AND Amazon Prime all taken together, we're paying $74/month, which is half or less compared with what we were paying for video service a few years ago.

If you can do just broadband and Netflix, you can get by pretty cheap.

having issues setting up. keep getting error 011. reset evertying. Roku says to call provider to reset DNS number. Oh fun.

got it! forgot my credit card was hacked Saturday thus cant sign up until new card arrives.
This will be fun, U verse is being intalled tomorrow. upgrade from DSL.

they tried to sell the TV side.
Not really looked yet but I guess there are cooking shows.
some for me, ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back