When to replace paper gasket with sealant alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I am working on a vintage Ford Model A from 1930. The engine is assembled using all types of gaskets, like

thin paper
thick paper
cork
copper asbestos sandwich
etc

I was wondering if I can replace all those gaskets with a liquid gasket from for instance Loctite. Is there a universal Loctite sealant that can replace all those gaskets materials 100% and still being safe? I have plenty of time for curing and dont need a traditional cut gasket which enables me to drive 5 min later.

One concern: A cut gasket has a certain thickness which might be of importance when assembling the the parts. When using a liquid sealant the parts come closer. How can one determine that the cut gasket IS necessary for proper function?

Lucas

Not sure if one product can replace ALL of those gaskets - it depends on what those gaskets are sealing.

Permatex Right Stuff is probably the most universal gasket maker for sealing oil, coolant, etc.

For gaskets exposed to fuel though, you need something that specifically says it can withstand fuel exposure.

Almost all parts and consumables are still available for these cars (in the States).
Don't have to improvise much as gaskets and whatnot are typically just a click or phone call away.
smile.gif

Who are your vendors, or would you like a link to some of my trusted outfits?

Our '31:
FathersDay025.jpg

Don't forget some gaskets are not just for sealing but also for clearance and heat protection.

Edit: I see this is a concern in your post.
Its going vary from make/model but generally suspect rotating parts like water pumps, axle shaft end plates, transmission case gaskets, distributer, carbs and pumps, intakes, anything subjected to exhaust, etc should keep the gasket.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Not sure if one product can replace ALL of those gaskets - it depends on what those gaskets are sealing.

Permatex Right Stuff is probably the most universal gasket maker for sealing oil, coolant, etc.

For gaskets exposed to fuel though, you need something that specifically says it can withstand fuel exposure.

In terms of fuel exposure: I guess many people would choose Permatex Right Stuff gasket maker for the valve covers. But don't you always have fuel aerosols which travel everywhere in the engine - especially from the oil sump area due to blow by etc etc? Or is it considered to be so little, that it will never harm?

Lucas

For paper gaskets and cork gaskets that are not going to be exposed to fuel, I always use Permatex 2B. I coat both sides of the gasket with a healthy layer of the Permatex frosting to make the gaskets water proof and oil proof. It also keeps cork gaskets from drying out. Wear disposable gloves when using the stuff, but if you forget, you can remove it from your hands with brake fluid.

Originally Posted By: LucasDK
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

In terms of fuel exposure: I guess many people would choose Permatex Right Stuff gasket maker for the valve covers. But don't you always have fuel aerosols which travel everywhere in the engine - especially from the oil sump area due to blow by etc etc? Or is it considered to be so little, that it will never harm?

Lucas

I would guess being continuously saturated in liquid fuel would be much more of a compatibility issue than exposure to a small amount of vapor. But that's just a guess...I have never used Right Stuff on a valve cover before, though I wouldn't lose sleep over it either. Every valve cover gasket I have replaced simply got a Felpro gasket - cheap, effective, no mess.

I think using RTV is a discretionary thing on an older car that didn't use it originally. No need or reason to go through and replace every cut gasket with a sealant. At the same time, if you're resealing something that used a simple paper gasket, a sealant will likely work fine, just pick the one best suited to that particular part. I don't think you will find a true one size fits all sealant.

One thing to notice though...even new cars still have a mix of gasket materials. The OEMs are not sealing them up with just one kind of sealant. Paper and cork are largely things of the past on new cars, but they use rubber, molded silicone, metallic, etc. in addition to liquid sealants.

What I prefer over sealants, is finding an improved formed/molded gasket when available. For example, the water neck on my truck came from the factory with a thin, cut paper gasket. I replaced that with a Felpro PermaDryPlus gasket that has a silicone gasket molded to a composite plastic frame. Much more stout than OE, and simple to install since no sealers/shellacs were needed with the improved gasket. Now on the differential, the only pre-made gaskets available for the cover are paper...so I use Right Stuff or Ultra Black like the factory. If there was a reusable rubber or silicone option, I would use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back