who made Uniroyal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uniroyal is owned by Michelin and their tires are made in the US and Canada. I cannot say I have ever met someone that was a fan of their tires.

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
Uniroyal is owned by Michelin and their tires are made in the US and Canada. I cannot say I have ever met someone that was a fan of their tires.

I had a pair of Laredos that were really nice. Quiet, good traction and overall a nice tire on my old Explorer. Perhaps they changed.

Tiger paws of some sort came on the Tracker, they wore like iron and had similar wet traction. I think they could've gone 100,000+ miles but I ditched them with maybe 60k miles with well over half tread depth.
They did have pretty much the same tread pattern as the ones in your link, hopefully not the same rubber compound...

Uniroyal used to be an independent tire maker, but after years of consolidation in the industry there aren't all that many truly independent tire brands anymore. Uniroyal is now part of the Michelin/BFGoodrich conglomerate.

Yep in my mines eye the "tiger" was a major player back in the day, They were standard on my 79 Z28 .

Last edited:
They are good tires. Made by Michelin as has been stated earlier. We carry and sell a fair amount. Michelin has their lineup tiered so that the brand structure goes Uniroyal - BFGoodrich - Michelin in level of "quality."

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
They are good tires. Made by Michelin as has been stated earlier. We carry and sell a fair amount. Michelin has their lineup tiered so that the brand structure goes Uniroyal - BFGoodrich - Michelin in level of "quality."

"price".
wink.gif

Well ya. But they are marketed towards different segments. The might have the tires from all 3 companies in the same size, but they are marketed so they don't really compete with each other. You will see a Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTZ, a BFG Sport Comp-2 and a Michelin Pilot Super Sport in the same size with similar performance characteristics, but they are advertised towards a different customer.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I never got more than 30k out of any of my 3 sets of Tiger paws.. I guess I'm too abusive.

Grandpa bought a new Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera in '87, he optioned Tiger Paw tires... they lasted until 99,955 miles, the sidewalls were starting to crack, the tread still in GOOD shape.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

"price".
wink.gif

Yeah. This. And also the Michelins do get the most recent tread and compound developments.

Well ya. But they are marketed towards different segments. The might have the tires from all 3 companies in the same size, but they are marketed so they don't really compete with each other. You will see a Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTZ, a BFG Sport Comp-2 and a Michelin Pilot Super Sport in the same size with similar performance characteristics, but they are advertised towards a different customer.

I'd like to see a full head to head/comparison test of the BFG g force Super Sport all seasons against the new Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 3.

I had the Tiger Paw AWP tires on my cars in the past. They had a real long tread life, stayed balanced and were average in the snow. The Touring NT tire has a similar tread pattern as the original AWP tires I spoke about.

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets

I Put uniroyal tiger paw touring tires on my wife's suv that were made in Indonesia. Ended up replacing one of them with a uniroyal AS65 tire that was made in China. I wish their tires were only made in the U.S and Canada.

My brother and I de-constructed a fence with a turbocharged Monza Corvair wearing Tiger Paws, they may have been 15 year old tires though. This was probably in '96 or '97.

Until that point it was straight with original glass, and just needed paint, door gaskets, and window fuzzies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back