Shelf Life of Oxygen Sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to know if oxygen sensors have shelf life. I am assuming one that is two or three years old should be just fine but what about an eight or ten year old part? I've seen some on sale here and there on CL, eBay, parts stores that had old date stamps and/or were in pretty beat up packaging. Sort of new old stock I guess. Thought I'd ask.

I've bought PLENTY of new old stock parts and they worked just fine.

The main thing is if they were stored away from elements or extreme temperatures that could create moisture.

I would be OK with a new old stock O2 sensor. And yes I have also bought plenty of new old stock stuff and it's normally perfectly fine. Even the NOS struts I put on my car are over a year old and still working.

One of my cars is an '02 MY Subaru so probably used old style sensors. I should read that article.

They last 8-10 years in the most corrosive heat cycled part of a vehicle, I would assume they can last that long in a relatively stable climate in the back room of the parts store.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
They last 8-10 years in the most corrosive heat cycled part of a vehicle, I would assume they can last that long in a relatively stable climate in the back room of the parts store.

Good point.

I don't see why such an O2 sensor would be a problem. Usually they fail based on miles, or because ashes and soot contaminate the sensor. Neither thing could happen in storage.

Where I used to work 20 years ago, we used to test O2 sensors for the auto industry. This involved sealing them in a metal container with a prescribed measure of water, then heating the container to a prescribed temperature. This involved high pressures, since sealing was accomplished by arc welding. I'm not sure what the test did to the O2 sensors -- we were just asked to have our shop accomplish this procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back