Backup parking sensors - worth the installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have them on my Grand Cherokee (front and back) and although I've been driving since before most of you were born, I like them. I can park it in a space 12 inches longer than the car without touching either bumper.

I can pull into the garage and leave just the right distance to close the door.

Only problem is driving in deep water, or in traffic in downtown Santa Cruz where people drive two cars wide in single lane streets, or motorcycles that stop too soon.

Don't need them on the Corvair or BMW since the visibility is much better and they are lower.

Originally Posted By: Cressida
... do you think they are something that are worthwhile or is it just another electronic gizmo?
My new car has parking sensors back and front, and a display which visually tells me how far things are away. Frankly I find the noise distracting from the job of parking, and if it was that tight I'd be more worried about cars either end hitting me when they leave. I think a rear-view camera would be more useful, and I can already see where the front of the car is.
Another feature it has is that it turns down the radio volume in reverse and can optionally activate the rear wiper.

I really like the ones on my Taurus when they work properly. They are very finicky. Any dust, snow, ice, etc. get's on them and when you put it in reverse it sounds a solid beep like you're right on top of something when nothing is behind you.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
One thing that should be understood is that these electronic aids should be used as supplementary tools. They should never be used in place of traditional methods such as turning your head and looking with your own eyes what's behind you.

This. Nobody is saying they NEED these things so they can park their car, it's a safety net in case you mess up. I'll take sensors and a camera rather than accidentally reversing over someone's kid in the supermarket car park thanks.

Back in 2003 when I bought my Saab 9-5, I wanted xenon headlights so got the "visibility" package or whatever it was called. This also included rain sensing wipers, auto dimming side mirrors, and the backup warning system.

Turns out I have thoroughly enjoyed those extra features over the last 11+ years and 200k miles. I am a good driver, don't back into things, and will not be handing in my "man card" anytime soon. The backup system provides an extra layer of safety and convenience that comes in handy pretty regularly. I could and have done just fine without such a system in my other cars but would certainly prefer to have it than not.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back