best fuel injector cleaner for 82 mustang 5l carb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a brand new holley on my 82 mustang 5.0 , I alway use techron for my fuel injector cars, what about carb car ? by the way this 82 only use none ethanol gas and drive 1 time a week ( saturday ).

I like to keep my carb clean as possible..

still use techron ?

thank every one, have a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:
it cool bill
thumbsup2.gif

Techron is plenty. The biggest way carbs get nasty is storage. You drive the car- the float bowl fills with fuel. You park the car, that fuel starts evaporating. If you drive the car again before it all evaporates, no problem- new fuel pumps into the bowl, dilutes the part-evaporated fuel, and its all gone in a minute of idling. However- if you park the car for several days and the fuel evaporates COMPLETELY, it leaves a film of fuel additives on the bottom of the bowl. They tend to be very sticky and hard to re-dissolve in fresh gasoline. Repeat that cycle over and over, and pretty soon you have a thick nasty layer and the floats can actually get stuck to it so they won't shut off the fuel and the bowls overflow next time you try to start it.

If you're going to store for a long time (a couple of weeks or more), a shot of a light oil like Marvel into the bowl vents will prevent all the additives from congealing to goo, so that the next time you crank it up the fresh fuel will dilute the mix of additives and oil and carry it through the engine and away.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Techron is plenty. The biggest way carbs get nasty is storage. You drive the car- the float bowl fills with fuel. You park the car, that fuel starts evaporating. If you drive the car again before it all evaporates, no problem- new fuel pumps into the bowl, dilutes the part-evaporated fuel, and its all gone in a minute of idling. However- if you park the car for several days and the fuel evaporates COMPLETELY, it leaves a film of fuel additives on the bottom of the bowl. They tend to be very sticky and hard to re-dissolve in fresh gasoline. Repeat that cycle over and over, and pretty soon you have a thick nasty layer and the floats can actually get stuck to it so they won't shut off the fuel and the bowls overflow next time you try to start it.

If you're going to store for a long time (a couple of weeks or more), a shot of a light oil like Marvel into the bowl vents will prevent all the additives from congealing to goo, so that the next time you crank it up the fresh fuel will dilute the mix of additives and oil and carry it through the engine and away.

Great knowledge , so just use bottle of Techron one in a while will prevent this from happen ?
what do you use to add Marvel to the bowl vents.
I only drive 1 a week, and some time I just crank and let it idle for 10-15 min. If I dont drive, will just idle help prevent that bowl turn into goo ?

Last edited:
I was lucky to never have a stuck fuel bowl while using Redline and most of my cars sat 6 months before restarting in the Spring. I'm not sure but I believe the Redline fuel system cleaner has a slight bit of lubricant in it and that may have helped.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Great knowledge , so just use bottle of Techron one in a while will prevent this from happen ?
what do you use to add Marvel to the bowl vents.
I only drive 1 a week, and some time I just crank and let it idle for 10-15 min. If I dont drive, will just idle help prevent that bowl turn into goo ?

Techron will help, and driving once a week will probably keep the bowls clean enough. They really have to get dry before it starts building up a lot.

If you do want to add MMO to the bowl for storage, I suggest an oil pump can through the bowl vent. On emissions carbs, you may have to pull a vent tube off the bowl(s) to get the oil in there. On my old Carters, each bowl has a small vent tube that you can access with the air cleaner lid removed. About 3-4 squirts of oil per float bowl is all it takes, you don't want to fill the bowls because it would make it hard to re-start with all that oil in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back