2013 Sonata coolant questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

I'm under the impression that my 2013 Sonata uses regular plain Jane antifreeze. I plan on picking up some Prestone 50/50 prediluted formula and adding it to the reservoir bottle since the level is a little low.

Any special precautions or steps I should take?

-Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2008 Elantra and the OM is a bit vague on whether or not an EL coolant is used.
Judging by their change recommendation it seemed to be a regular green antifreeze. (My daughter has the car and I don't have access to the OM right now so I'm going by memory).
I changed the FF at 30K (in fall of 2012) using regular green and again last fall using the same.

I may try an EL anti-freeze next time after changing the timing belt.
I'm not sure Prestone is compatible with the OE coolant because I'm not sure what type the OE coolant is...I don't know if Hyundai has cleared up the confusion in their 2013 OM???

Same thing with the level in my 2013 Sonata - it was a little low.

Picked up some 50/50 premix Prestone green type to add a little. OM states glycol coolant to be used.

Any thoughts on why it is low?

I just use the cheap green antifreeze in my Hyundais.

Might have a weeping hose. The OEM clamps get weak after a while.

I would not use Prestone AM/M with other Asian P Hoats available. I don't like the 2eha that it contains and is not used in other any Asian oem AFs.

And it's not just Hyun that tends to be vague with the OM AF recommendation, Honda is the same as I'm confident are some others.

If I didn't want to use the Hyun OEM AF, I'd look at Zerex Asian Formula, unfortunately only available as premix.

But one choice I'd seriously consider is Pep Boys OEM brand Premium concentrate. It's an Asian formula PHOAT AF made by Recochem, even comes in matching green. And $20/gal for concentrate not bad.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/879918/00132/car_care/antifreeze_coolant/antifreeze_coolant

You can use distilled water to top off, since the top off is only few ounces in a 6-8 quarts coolant system it will not change the coolant/water ratio at all.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Same thing with the level in my 2013 Sonata - it was a little low.

Picked up some 50/50 premix Prestone green type to add a little. OM states glycol coolant to be used.

Any thoughts on why it is low?

I have no idea, my mom's 2011 Sonata was low as well before her mechanic added some.

On my NF -- 2009 Sonata -- which is one gen prior to your YF car, I've only been running OEM fluid but a tech at one of the Hyundai dealers told me that green Prestone coolant is fine. The OEM fluid I buy is concentrate and I mix it myself with distilled water to create a 50/50 ratio. To me, the only downside of the OEM fluid is cost as it's about $10 more vs aftermarket (per gallon).

As to level, it might just be impact of temperature. Cold outside temp often means lower level in the overflow.

I just recently purchased a 2012 Kia Rio. It was a bit low on so I called the local Kia and Hyundai dealer to check on coolant prices. Both parts departments told me to just use any green coolant. The Kia dealers price was not too bad for the coolant (Hyundai dealer was a bit higher) but I have a NAPA just across the street from where I work so I ended up getting the Zerex Asian formula out of convenience.

Originally Posted By: tnt31
.... I have a NAPA just across the street from where I work so I ended up getting the Zerex Asian formula out of convenience.

And you ended up with the correct oem type AF, an Asian PHoat. So convenience made you lucky and correct.

'Any green coolant', not if you want to keep the same AF chemistry as oem. Or possibly end up with an All/Makes/Models DexClone containing 2eha. And any green could be original green which contains silicates which Asian Oems don't use.

Don't have to take my word for it, look at the Beck Arnley AF application chart for Asian and Import vehicles. It shows Asian Green which is not the same as 'any' green. BA is a fairly well respected name in import parts.

http://www.beckarnley.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/2014-Coolant-Guide-LR.pdf

And this is the specific BA Green AF Concentrate. Note, no borates, amines, or silicates.
http://www.beckfluids.com/products/antifreeze-coolant/green-concentrate/

Pep Boys Asian OEM brand green is the same chemistry but made by Recochem. And less expensive.

As also mentioned, I'd use distilled water as a top off if only a minimal amount. But I wouldn't choose just 'any green' or AM/M AF as a top off.

Yes ZAF would work fine, though I suspect it less expensive at your local Napa or O'R store.

It's reddish in color but that is just the dye used and not relevant to chemistry. AF color is a very unreliable indicator of AF chemistry.

As for the re-question of topping off with Prestone effects, suggest you read (this post) as the same caveats apply, just that this oem is an Asian PHOAT not original green. I've already given my judgement/opinion regarding top off options in this thread. Now your call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back