Why Is Motor Oil Still Priced so high ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
They say oil is way down gas prices are cut in half around here so why is motor oil still so expensive?? I guess it's the old lets slam the stupid consumer game..
I asked my oil distributor and he says everyone is asking the same thing. Like he says eventually one company is going to lower their prices and out sell everyone else and the rest will follow.

Motor oil sells at a lot lower volume compared to gasoline. Think how many gallons of gas you burn between oil changes multiplied by every car driving.

You're not just paying for the base oil there is a lot of money in the additives too. Possibly the lower prices will help spur research and development for better additive packages.

Infinite shelf life. Motor can sit on the shelf for 10 years and still be as good as the day it was new. Gasoline has a 30 day shelf life.

All good reasons above. With all of the engineering, additives, marketing and production costs, the cost of the base crude is minimal.

I don't understand why people assume just because the price of crude drops that the entire system will suddenly adjust pricing to be in line with current market rates.

Motor oil companies invest millions in equipment, people (and smart ones aren't cheap!), R&D, Marketing, maintenance, insurance, taxes, and the list goes on and on. If Mobil and Valvoline and Castrol and everyone else halved the prices of the oil already on the shelves and the oil still being produced, they'd be belly up in 6 months. Basic economics. Think about it.

And not considering that like the people before me said, the oil in motor oil isn't what we're really paying for. It's the additives and the time, money, and research that goes into developing those additive packages.

Last edited:
When it is going up they have an excuse to jack up, when going down they close their eyes and hope nobody notices.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I think about $1.50 is fair for conventional and $3.00 for oil based synthetic.

Oil companies have been hosing us for a long long time.

If they pay their employees just enough to have 2 cups of Ramen noodles a day and steal additives instead of paying for it.

The first few responses sound like they work for the oil companies. I wouldn't say they need to cut the price in half but a definite rollback in prices is needed.

If the price of crude stayed low for long enough, yes the price of motor oil will come down, but like others have said, the additives are 20% of the make-up of oil, but are IMO, at least 50% of the cost. Amsoil for instance has one of the most robust and highest quality additive packages in their top oils, they don't spend the big bucks on advertising, they put the money in the oil. They are more expensive than alot of oils.

The base oil is just 1 part of many that goes into getting a bottle of oil to the store.

Its like the price of flour dropping and complaining that the cake makers should lower their prices as well. Base ingredients are just 1 part of the cake. You have to get all the other parts, pay someone to handle them, prepare them properly, test to make sure its right, etc.... So yes price may come down a little but that is only if everything else remains flat and even then its not going to drop a lot.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
When it is going up they have an excuse to jack up, when going down they close their eyes and hope nobody notices.

This. lol.

Transportation costs are a major player. I posted this elsewhere, but here goes....

I run a trucking operation. In a nutshell, if you want me to haul a load for you, at the same price or lower than i did it for just 6 months ago, I will not show up at your dock. You want the service, you have to ante up. Fuel and oil prices have very little if anything to do with how much you are going to pay to move product.

In this last economic downturn, the trucking sector lost a considerable amount of capacity. In one quarter alone, 80,000 trucks got taken out of the pool in the U.S. And government regulatory nonsense really made matters worse, and sped up the process of capacity downturn. And the existing pool of qualified drivers is lowest it has been in several years. Now the economy starts to get moving, more freight needs moved, there are fewer trucks and drivers to do it, and you have a situation where trucks are going to be allocated to the best customers who are paying the best rates.

And you can't just add on more trucks. Well you could, but they are going to sit. There just isn't a pool of qualified drivers to put in them. Government regulations have caused extreme tightening of the driver pool in both the regulatory requirements and the lack of desire of drivers to put up with the government nonsense and therefore bail out of the field. So, the ones who do stay and are qualified, the companies are having to fight each other over who gets them. Pay and benefits have to increase to attract the drivers. Again, you just can't add people. Government regulatory requirements, the desire of folks to put up with it, and the hassle by insurance companies and lawyers makes it extremely difficult to even attract people to do the job, let alone even get them in the seat. Many folks would throw a fit over the regulatory anal exam drivers have to go thru, with the constant hovering of government threatening your livelihood any given day. And taxation costs are such that a typical over the road truck pays more in just taxes and fees across the board alone than the average person in America earns in income.

Equipment costs are drastically more higher, due to the massive environmental regulations on heavy diesel engines in the last 8 years. It has magnified the cost in both acquisition and operation, and plays havoc on the net weight a truck can haul. Maintenance and downtime has increased significantly. So even less available capacity on a given day.

A lot of stuff moves by rail, but a truck has to get it from the rail yard to where ever it is needed. You can't just pull up a CSX box car to the back of a Walmart. Rail is already nearing capacity itself. There just isn't an unlimited amount of rail cars to throw stuff on. Again, the highest bidder and best customer gets the space on the train. Air freight, over 80% of air freight actually moves, hub to hub, by truck, and not on a plane.

Virtually all of this has been government inspired. Of almost every negative situation in transportation now can be laid at the doorstep of a government agency. But, keep in mind, your government cares for you! Keep that in mind as you break out your wallet and pay for your goods and services.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
You guys in US have no idea what high priced oil is.

Not this again...look around you there are lots of cheap oils to be had. Dont walk into Canadian Tire and expect to find Mobil One for $2.99!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back