Corrosion Protection for Exhaust Hangers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chrome
Wonder how the ceramic coatings that people coat exhaust headers with will hold up in this application? Surely the headers will hit fairly high temperatures under high load conditions...

That would be about the only thing I think that might actually hold up.

no idea what you can do but if it was my car I would be mailing them to the head of BMW and requesting they shove them where the light doesn't shine...

How much water gets splashed onto these? I'm wondering if a layer of high-temp anti-sieze might help. At least on the areas where it is sandwiched. It'll wash off eventually where exposed though.

How much does the hanger cost? I wonder if blindly replacing once/year, like a tire rotation/oil change/air filter would be out of the question. You know how some cars have something that ought not to break, but does, but everyone knows about it, and it's a cheap fix, so everyone just lives with it?

I'm impressed those 1/4" fasteners came apart without snapping. That, at least, you can anti-sieze, which you probably do.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
JET-HOT

Originally Posted By: chrome
Wonder how the ceramic coatings that people coat exhaust headers with will hold up in this application? Surely the headers will hit fairly high temperatures under high load conditions...

It holds up just fine - BTDT

Other than trying to make something out of stainless, there's not much you can do. Paints and coatings are not going to hold up and may make matters worse. You should be able to get several years with the new one.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Only thing i can think of is hit it with exhaust/ header paint before and after you install, not sure that will really help though. Wonder of you can use a muffler repair wrap, around the pipe before you install the bracket to prevent the metal to metal.

Good idea! I do have rock wool... Wonder if I can get some asbestos someplace
smile.gif

DEI/Thermo Tec header wrap will work as well.

You could try to Jet Hot/Swain/etc. coat the steel pieces, IF you can find a place which does this on small parts, but this would probably run just as much coin as having someone custom cut, laser, or water cut them out of 304/321 stainless for you.

Thats looks easy enough to fab out of stainless at home. Why don't you get 2 new ones that you can use for a template.

I would flatten one out then trace it on flat SS stock then rough cut it out with a cutoff wheel and finish with a die grinder and bench grinder. Drill the holes on the drill press then use the other to perform the bending.
Spot weld any tabs and SS nuts that were done on the original and use SS fasteners. A few hours of fun (if you like making things) and it will last the life of the car.

The rubber pieces can probably be reproduced in Poly easy enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back