K&N oiling technique

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't matter. The gauze should absorb the oil evenly. Its dyed red so you can tell what has been oiled and what hasn't, so as long as the filter has a uniform red tint you're good.

I've always only oiled the dirty side. Whether it makes a difference or not I don't know. That's just how I've always done it. As bvance said the red tint throughout is what you're looking for.

I've always sprayed the dirty side only. I wouldn't do so until reaching 50k miles.

I'm obligated to warn you of the low efficiency of cotton gauze filters and to recommend replacement with a paper air filter to minimize the amount of dirt in your engine.

If you have a gram scale look up your filter model on their site and there should be a gram or ounce weight oil needed for your specific filter.

You spray oil on something that goes in your intake system? You do this after discarding the treated paper filter? Do you do this on a vehicle with a computer controlled fuel injection system? It's your own vehicle? And it cost money to do all this? And these people that manufacture this filter figured out something that every manufacturer of a modern car missed? Interesting.

I would toss it and get a new non oiled filter to avoid such problems as cleaning and oiling.

K&N (panel air filter) has been a controversial topic for a long time. Bitog had even swayed me away from them for a while. I then began using them again and compared uoa. The K&N uoa showed a very small 2ppm increase (4 vs 6ppm) in Si and I have never, in 25 years, had a single issue using/re-oiling them. Will it let in more particles than a paper filter? Yes, an insignificant amount in my case. Will it save the landfill from possibly 5 dumped air filters? Absolutely. I make no HP/MPG claims. Its an ecological choice for me, but I also respect the views of those who choose otherwise.

Last edited:
No, the truck came with a K&N already installed. It wasn't terribly dirty when i removed it, but i have cleaned it and let it dry. Now, im going to wait for warmer weather before i oil it, place it in a shopping bag, put in the air filter box that I purchase then store it.

I just got this truck and was going over it and installed a Regular Fram, not the oiled yellow one that i could have gotten, but ive read stories and ive owned a purone that was oiled and the car really was down on midrange power with it.

I. Don't know if i will put the K&N back in, because the 6.0 could very well have a tune for the gauze filter and the dual flowmaster exhaust. The Previous owner said it made 396hp, but the data sheets denote 300hp. I'm just not sure if he was mistaken or did some work to it.

He could have a TUNE on it, and it did pull very strong, but that could just be that i've driven an RX7' Saturn, and a Ford Aspire for the last ten years since I last had a V8.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
He could have a TUNE on it, and it did pull very strong, but that could just be that i've driven an RX7' Saturn, and a Ford Aspire for the last ten years since I last had a V8.

A tune isn't giving you that either.

I'm thinking it is the 2nd bit and that it has been a few years since you've driven a V8, something with some torque
smile.gif

Most of the aftermarket tunes are for higher octane and improved shift firmness, you really don't gain much if any power unless the application is forced induction and they can lean it out a tad and add more boost.

I think a chip for my Expedition is like 7HP or something tragically sad. I gained more from deleting the silencers and muffler IMHO.

Assuming no hard parts were swapped, it is a 300hp engine, bolt on parts (cold air intake, exhaust, throttle body, tuning) at most you could be up to 345-350 but you would definitely see some major differences under the hood, and you'd definitely know if there was an exhaust system on the truck.

Tuning alone at most would get you 10-12hp at the wheels, you might notice better throttle response and firmer shifting. For a mostly stock truck a factory paper filter or higher flowing dry type filter would be much better for the truck. I ran one with a K&N for a while and went back to paper when I noticed a very fine coating of "dust" in my intake tube and had a MAF sensor fail.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
No, the truck came with a K&N already installed. It wasn't terribly dirty when i removed it, but i have cleaned it and let it dry. Now, im going to wait for warmer weather before i oil it, place it in a shopping bag, put in the air filter box that I purchase then store it.

I just got this truck and was going over it and installed a Regular Fram, not the oiled yellow one that i could have gotten, but ive read stories and ive owned a purone that was oiled and the car really was down on midrange power with it.

I. Don't know if i will put the K&N back in, because the 6.0 could very well have a tune for the gauze filter and the dual flowmaster exhaust. The Previous owner said it made 396hp, but the data sheets denote 300hp. I'm just not sure if he was mistaken or did some work to it.

You were lied to.
I've got a c3. It's awd,has a 6.0 with a better can and came from the factory with 325/375.
I've got a cai,throttle body spacer,true duals and a a canned tune from diablosport running the 91 octane tune.
And there isn't a chance in hades I'm near 400hp. 400tq at the crank is very likely if not a few more but with your stock cam the best you'll get from that engine with every bolt on on earth and a dynotune is 20hp.
396hp. No a single solitary chance.
To gain 100hp you'd need bigger injectors,either a boost a pump or higher volume fuel pump along with every bolt on possible.
The only way to bolt on 100 hp is boost. Otherwise you are tearing into the engine,so unless that truck has a rebuilt engine with an aftermarket cam Its not got 396hp.
If it gained 20hp at the crank I'd be surprised.
I've got more cam than you but same engine and bolt ons and no way am I near 400hp.

Originally Posted By: wemay
K&N (panel air filter) has been a controversial topic for a long time. Bitog had even swayed me away from them for a while. I then began using them again and compared uoa. The K&N uoa showed a very small 2ppm increase (4 vs 6ppm) in Si and I have never, in 25 years, had a single issue using/re-oiling them. Will it let in more particles than a paper filter? Yes, an insignificant amount in my case. Will it save the landfill from possibly 5 dumped air filters? Absolutely. I make no HP/MPG claims. Its an ecological choice for me, but I also respect the views of those who choose otherwise.
Where does all the stuff go when you clean the filter?

Will it save the landfill from possibly 5 dumped air filters? Absolutely. I make no HP/MPG claims. Its an ecological choice for me, but I also respect the views of those who choose otherwise.

I had a K&N on my Town Car years ago. It wasn't so much for environmental reasons as for minimizing maintenance. I put a pile of miles on that thing, and it was nice to be able to leave the filter alone for a very extended period of time. I wasn't claiming or expecting a jump in HP or fuel economy, either.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Will it save the landfill from possibly 5 dumped air filters? Absolutely. I make no HP/MPG claims. Its an ecological choice for me, but I also respect the views of those who choose otherwise.

I had a K&N on my Town Car years ago. It wasn't so much for environmental reasons as for minimizing maintenance. I put a pile of miles on that thing, and it was nice to be able to leave the filter alone for a very extended period of time. I wasn't claiming or expecting a jump in HP or fuel economy, either.

I agree Garak, less maintenance is definitely another reason.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Where does all the stuff go when you clean the filter?

It gets a cleaning every 4-5 years, CT8. Hardly abusive

Originally Posted By: Garak

I hear you Garak, but does a choked air filter really hurt fuel economy on the modern efi engines ? Or would it cause a "noticable increase in fuel consumption" in an old carburetor model ? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back