2000 Corolla sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put a quart of Rislone in it at every oil change. If done enough it will be spotless in a couple frequent oil dumps.

slomo

Get the codes read first. Then fix it so it doesn't illuminate. Then do normal OCI with good brand name oil. It will clean it self slowly.

Scaned the code at Midas, P0300, Radom CYL misfire,check engine light on again after clearing the code.

Originally Posted By: Trav

First the misfire. When was last tuned up last, new plugs, wires PCV, filters? What are the codes?

Engine tuned up in Dec 2012, also have air sensor cleaned, replaced all spark plugs at same time.

Hace Rislone currently in my 2001 Corolla to address a very light golden varnish. I have 7K on this run of PP 0w20 for the winter. I usually like to stick to 5k dino oil changes but this winter i'm super busy.

I would try Rislone of MMO every other OCI.

Check with whichever parts store in your neck of the woods is part of the Uni-Select network. They tend to be Auto Plus, Auto Parts Plus, and Bumper to Bumper stores. The Auto Parts Plus store I frequent does carry it, and it's cheaper than Regane at Canadian Tire, too.

Originally Posted By: mymdx
Scaned the code at Midas, P0300, Radom CYL misfire,check engine light on again after clearing the code.

Does the CEL start flashing when under hard acceleration?

CEL doesn't flashing under hard acceleration. It was on even before replacing spark plugs and cleaning air sensor. Mechanic at MIDAS said all cylinders work, I can ignore the code.
frown.gif

Last edited:

CEL doesn't flashing under hard acceleration. It was on even before replacing spark plugs and cleaning air sensor. Mechanic at MIDAS said all cylinders work, I can ignore the code.
frown.gif

The so called mechanic (parts changer) at Midas is either incompetent, an idiot or both.
PO300 is random misfire meaning it is missing on any cylinder at some point, this can quickly lead to a damaged cat, excess fuel dilution of the oil, poor fuel economy, etc.

Finding and repairing the root cause of this code is imperative before going any further. Never ignore the CEL for misfire codes.

Diagnosed at Toyota dealer yesterday got code p0121, p0300, p0303, p0304, p0171. Recommend starting with replacing mass air flow sensor. Looking for the part now, hope I can do it on my own.

Last edited:
Dealer asked part ($326.72), Labor ($166.20), total with tax $514.69. It is crazy.

I just order a new part ($29) from ebay. It looks like a few minutes work to put new part on.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Toyota's are know for having black wrinkle-paint covered baffles under the valve covers, and I think everyone would ask if what you scraped off was sludge or did it flake off like paint would.

The wrinkle finish is applied to the OUTSIDE of some valve covers for visual appeal.

Toyota doesn't paint the inside of the motor.

The discoloration in the original picture is due to age, varnish, maintenance, etc...

cambolts1.jpg

Hello mymdx - We would suggest you have your engine checked out by a certified automotive technician. There appears to be too much going on here to confine the discussion to just a “type of motor oil” choice.

Please remember that once you put an aftermarket additive on-top of an already fully formulated motor oil product, you have altered the chemistry of that motor oil. Hence, you will lose any warranty that comes with that motor oil - implied or otherwise. By adding an aftermarket additive, you will also altered the performance claims of the motor oil.

Just a caution about using aftermarket additives (they may work for you, but if there is ever a problem with your engine, you will have to go to the aftermarket additive supplier for any claims) Hope this information is helpful! - The Pennzoil Team

Dealer asked part ($326.72), Labor ($166.20), total with tax $514.69. It is crazy.

I just order a new part ($29) from ebay. It looks like a few minutes work to put new part on.

Nothing wrong with a good used part, i prefer one any day to a reman.
Toyota does put a black coating on the baffle at the fill hole on many engines, this is well known and documented.
Pull the battery cable for 15 min while you do the job then connect it after so the ecm can relearn.

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
Hello mymdx - We would suggest you have your engine checked out by a certified automotive technician. There appears to be too much going on here to confine the discussion to just a “type of motor oil” choice.

Please remember that once you put an aftermarket additive on-top of an already fully formulated motor oil product, you have altered the chemistry of that motor oil. Hence, you will lose any warranty that comes with that motor oil - implied or otherwise. By adding an aftermarket additive, you will also altered the performance claims of the motor oil.

Just a caution about using aftermarket additives (they may work for you, but if there is ever a problem with your engine, you will have to go to the aftermarket additive supplier for any claims) Hope this information is helpful! - The Pennzoil Team
thanks for your reply. I am thinking replace MAF sensor first, hope check engine light will be off. Anyway I have 4 OCI PP left, PP might do the cleaning job.

Ordered MAF sensor is on the way from Hong Kong, I will post when new part is on. Save me some money it looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back