My Grandpa REFUSES to own ANY Toyotas....

Status
Not open for further replies.
..because of Japan bombing Perl Harbor, and killing all those people, it also took 8 months of his freedom away in the service preparing to fight in the Pacific.

He says people his age can't drive them, because of the war.

How can I convince him that Toyotas are as American as GM Impalas? He is open minded.

There is no convincing people like your grandfather.

They are NOT as American as an Impala. It might be pieced together in our country but Toyota is a Japanese-based company, who designs Japanese vehicles with Japanese-paid engineers using parts made in Japan.

A lot of the Honda's and Toyota's are more American than the domestics.

I usually make many a people mad at me when we get into this whole Honda is Japan argument. I inform them that 90% of Honda vehicles they would purchase in the United States are made by Honda Manufacturing of America/American Honda -- United States companies.

Honda does a boat load of their R&D in the US. Honda R&D Americas, Inc.

Last edited:
good for him.

it's always healthy to have a strong belief in something

If anything it just means he still has a good memory

Originally Posted By: redhat
A lot of the Honda's and Toyota's are more American than the domestics.

I usually make many a people mad at me when we get into this whole Honda is Japan argument. I inform them that 90% of Honda vehicles they would purchase in the United States are made by Honda Manufacturing of America/American Honda -- United States companies.

Honda does a boat load of their R&D in the US. Honda R&D Americas, Inc.

Parts R&D, the money is in design.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
How can I convince him that Toyotas are as American as GM Impalas?

Why do you feel you need to convince him of this? It'll just cause frustration for both of you and probably accomplish little. He's been through enough. Let him be.

..because of Japan bombing Perl Harbor, and killing all those people, it also took 8 months of his freedom away in the service preparing to fight in the Pacific.

How can I convince him that Toyotas are as American as GM Impalas? He is open minded.

Good Luck, I am 40 and you won't ever convince me.

I wonder if folks of that era are aware of the controversy regarding Henry Ford possibly being a Nazi sympathizer and antisemite.

I wouldn't try to convince him. He's set in his ways and has lived a different reality than we have read. Times were very different then.

Last edited:
Just agree to disagree, if he feels that way just let him buy GM's. He probably wouldn't feel right buying a Toyota/Honda. Truth be told, Toyota/Honda are just as, if not more American now than GM.

That is understandable due to his deep, personal feelings from the past.

Toyota Camrys are built in Kentucky and are, indeed, one of the most American cars out there.

Toyota Tundra is US built in Texas and US designed.

I guess regarding GM, Chrysler, Ford, and others building vehicles at a feverish pace in Mexico, no one can seem to remember the Alamo.

It's an emotional position, not a logical one. You won't change his mind by reasoning with him. Just not how it works. Frankly, not sure why you want to change his mind. He can make that choice if he wants to.

Funny story, my Father retired from Chrysler after 35 years in 1996 and thats ALL hes ever driven. Living in Motor City, my whole family & extended family are all tied into the automotive industry somehow or another.

When I bought my first Toyota in 2012, I thought I was going to be disowned. Sure, I caught a lot of junk from family and friends... but my dad was happy for me - he said "that car is going to save you money". My Dad, 79 years old and a war veteran too, worked for Chrysler for just about 1/2 his life, was happy for me that I was happy. You cant beat that.

Last edited:
If you want to see where a car is truly made,tour the parts dept of various dealerships. Nothing is 100% genuine American made anymore thanks to NAFTA,etc. Ford and GM parts are made in Japan,China,Pakistan,Mexico,Germany just to name a few. I guess these days to be fair you have to be an equal opportunity bigot and have everyone and everything :^P

I can understand that. Many people died in ww2. Japan is one of the few countrys that killed of many POW camps right before surrendering.

War is never a beautiful thing. If he doesn't want to own one that's his choice and is a argument as valid as any other.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Good Luck, I am 40 and you won't ever convince me.

x a trillion!!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

And I FULLY understand where your grandpa is coming from, and it is NOT "illogical" AT ALL to me.
IF you would have told him that most U.S. citizens would be falling all over themselves to hand Japan their hard earned coin back then, you would have been shot, (or at least taken away in a straight jacket)!
wink.gif

Don't even try to convince him-it's an exercise in futility and trying to do so is downright foolish. Value the time that you have left, because he will be gone before you know it and there is a lot you can learn from him. Find your common ground and focus on that, don't concern yourself with something as meaningless as vehicles.

My dad fought in WWII and my grandfather fought in WWI. Both brought back scars from the wars, and there were subjects that they simply would not discuss and beliefs that would not change no matter how much the world around them changed. I genuinely wish I would have known my grandfather better, and spent more time with him before he passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back