Wrong fluid in tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been having some tranny issues (clunky, shudder between 1st and 2nd, very UN-smooth) with my 2010 Taurus. I had it flushed about 5k miles ago and last weeks diagnostic at the Ford dealership was inconclusive. So I did some more digging and I found the original receipt from the flush and it says they used "Gulf All-Vehicle ATF" fluid (http://nu-tierbrands.com/products/transmission-torque-fluids.html). First off, according to their website an "All-Vehicle" fluid doesn't exist, they have Universal and Multi-Purpose (same thing pretty much, but I find the difference in nomenclature interesting regardless). And most importantly, the ONLY fluid produced by Gulf that can be used in Mecron LV applications is "Gulfpride® Synthetic Multi-Vehicle DEXRON® VI ATF", which certainly is not "Gulf All-Vehicle". So I'm fairly confident the fluid they used isn't Mecron LV suitable. But I mean this is a professional shop, how can they not check those kinds of things? I find it hard to believe they didn't use the right fluid. And I can't comment on how the tranny acted before the flush vs. after because I had the flush done 1 day after purchasing the car.

Could this be the culprit? Would using a fluid suited to Mecron V cause issues in a tranny requiring Mecron LV? I mean clearly it would. I don't know! I just want your guys' opinions!

Maybe may be not all you can to is to change to the proper oil if that is what you think the problem is.

Quote:
I can't comment on how the tranny acted before the flush vs. after because I had the flush done 1 day after purchasing the car.

Maybe you bought a car with a bad transmission.

Originally Posted By: asand1
Quote:
I can't comment on how the tranny acted before the flush vs. after because I had the flush done 1 day after purchasing the car.

Maybe you bought a car with a bad transmission.

Well, that's possible but let's not think like that.
smirk.gif

In my time working at a quick lube, I can tell you honestly that meeting manufacturers specifications is optional and not enforced by store level management. I was even told to once use BOSS multi vehicle synthetic ATF and invoice as Mobil 1. The BOSS wasn't in the POS system since head office had not approved it.

Last edited:
Did the shop do a power flush or drain & fill? I steer CLEAR of power flushes. Does your car have a drain plug? I'd do 3-4 drain & fills using the correct fluid spaced out over a week. This should get nearly all the Gulf [censored] out. Also add a bottle of Lubegard Red for good measure.

How many miles are on the car? Do you know its previous maintenance history?

Originally Posted By: bigdom
Change it and the filter and drive it for awhile

I'd love to but that requires splitting the case and that's not happening. The filter is "lifetime" or, as I like to call it "until so plugged it kills the transmission". Why Ford, why?

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Did the shop do a power flush or drain & fill? I steer CLEAR of power flushes. Does your car have a drain plug? I'd do 3-4 drain & fills using the correct fluid spaced out over a week. This should get nearly all the Gulf [censored] out. Also add a bottle of Lubegard Red for good measure.

104K miles, Shop did a flush. Not a D&R. Don't know much on the maintenance. CarFax showed fairly good records and I shined a light in the oil fill hole while on the test drive and you could eat off the cams it was so clean in there. and for 104K I think that is quite impressive. Last car I had (Had the GM 3.4) with 148K miles (I got it @ 108K miles) on it you could take a screwdriver and scrape gunk off the tops of the rocker arms, even after 40K miles of quality synthetics cleaning.

Last edited:
I guess I'll do a series of drain and fills with MaxLife (if Valvoline says it's suitable for Mecron LV, I trust it) and with the final one add a bottle of Lubeguard Platinum.

Now I need to find out exactly how much I'll need for each drain and fill.

Originally Posted By: Throt
Originally Posted By: bigdom
Change it and the filter and drive it for awhile

I'd love to but that requires splitting the case and that's not happening. The filter is "lifetime" or, as I like to call it "until so plugged it kills the transmission". Why Ford, why?

Lol gotcha, just change it to the recommend fluid

Originally Posted By: mclasser

You would be wise to research "power flush" and realize it does not exist. The only thing a flush does is to automatically supply fresh ATF to the pan at the same rate the transmission's own pump is pushing it out.

I guess I'll do a series of drain and fills with MaxLife (if Valvoline says it's suitable for Mecron LV, I trust it) and with the final one add a bottle of Lubeguard Platinum.

That sounds reasonable.

So you are concerned about the incorrect fluid and you are going to use an multi-vehicle fluid over the OEM specific fluid (which is
NOT totally synthetic)??? Why? If you want to know what the original shifting characteristics are use the OEM fluid spec.

Why not go to walmart and buy the proper FORD licensed Mercon LV fluid that is sold under the SuperTech brand? It is a inexpensive but high quality fluid that is the fluid that the Ford engineers used when they designed and tested the unit in the first place.

Didn't know such an option existed. I looked on Wal-Mart.com and cannot find a SuperTech ATF that is Ford licensed.

It DID last year. I specifically remember seeing SuperTech
licensed Mercon LV

Walmart changes their suppliers often so perhaps their current
supplier doesn't offer that product, the old product was I believe
a Citgo item rebranded as ST.

multi vehicle atf is a no no according to my brother which has owned a trans shop for many years, he got out of the business and works in my shop now pulling engines

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
multi vehicle atf is a no no according to my brother which has owned a trans shop for many years, he got out of the business and works in my shop now pulling engines

Agreed. I emailed the shop that did (Tireman in NW Ohio) to see if they can provide me more accurate information on the fluid. But regardless, I'm probabaly going to change it.

With what fluid, I'm not sure yet. Probably going to call my local Ford dealer and get some OEM fluid from them. But I've ALWAYS read good things about MaxLife, so I'm torn.

[

With what fluid, I'm not sure yet. Probably going to call my local Ford dealer and get some OEM fluid from them. But I've ALWAYS read good things about MaxLife, so I'm torn.

Except MaxLife is NOT a licensed Mercon LV product.

Go with ANY Ford Licensed Mercon LV product and it will allow the transmission to perform as designed. Doesn't have to be
Motorcraft, just as long as the product is actually licensed
by Ford as Mercon LV approved. Castrol, Mag 1, or the others are fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back