Thinking of going with a set of 15"on 09 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has 16" on it now. I'm an old [censored], I'm more interested in a softer ride, not race-car handling. The car needs tires soon. What is more expensive 16 or 15? Same width. I can pick up a set of 15 wheels for short money. But are 15s going the way of 14. Selection is dwindling, because 14" wheels havent been used this millennium. Are 15s going that way too? Thanks

I think if you have 16s, you may have a V6 and thus larger brakes - 15s may not fit. I've seen discussion of that subject here:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-5th-6th-generation-2002-2006-2007-2011/

If someone here doesn't answer, ask there and describe your exact model.

In general, 15s aren't going anywhere so I wouldn't worry about that. Unless you get a spectacular deal, the cost of new wheels may make it less attractive. I don't think you'll see a very big difference in the price between the correct 16 and the correct -1" size.

Another option is that I think the 4cyl Camry that year came with 15s stock; you could perhaps poke around on Craigslist and find some take-offs from someone going up in size.

Last edited:
If you want a softer ride, you might consider going up 5% on the aspect ratio.

I.E. if you have a 215/60/16 you see about a 215/65/16. Adjust for your particular size.

That will give you a bit more sidewall without needing the investment in new wheels.

Originally Posted By: andyd
It has 16" on it now. I'm an old [censored], I'm more interested in a softer ride, not race-car handling. The car needs tires soon. What is more expensive 16 or 15? Same width. I can pick up a set of 15 wheels for short money. But are 15s going the way of 14. Selection is dwindling, because 14" wheels havent been used this millennium. Are 15s going that way too? Thanks

Originally Posted By: javacontour
If you want a softer ride, you might consider going up 5% on the aspect ratio.

I.E. if you have a 215/60/16 you see about a 215/65/16. Adjust for your particular size.

That will give you a bit more sidewall without needing the investment in new wheels.

Originally Posted By: andyd

I was leaning in the same direction, get a slightly taller sidewall, and save the money spent on new tires and buy a higher end set of 16" tires that are specifically marketed as having good ride quality, nothing high performance. Like something that ranks highly in the Comfort metric on Tirerack's Grand Touring category.

Usually just going to a more comfortable ride tire has more impact than anything. I'd do that before going with different size wheels etc.

What tires are on it now that you dislike the ride?

Another vote for sticking with OE wheels. Get a set of Hankook H727 in 205/65/16 and call it a day. Smooth ride, very good in winter for an A/S, will last a long time.

But....you have two issues with your application: It came with OE V-rated tires---likely part of the reason you find the ride harsh---and the OE size is 215/60R16. As discussed at length here, some tire shops will not install anything that does not meet OE spec ***exactly***.

Why the 07-11 Camry and the 06-10 Sonata base trims came with V-rated rubber will forever be a mystery to me---but it is what it is. Maybe order from DTD or other online site, then have them installed locally. Better chance of getting the size and speed rating you want, maybe.

The best choice for you in the OE 215/60R16 V spec is likely the General Altimax RT43.

Have fun.

I second the 205-65-16(not 215-65-16). And either the Hankook H727 or AltiMAX RT43 or even some Cooper CS3 or CS5.

Though, you may have a problem with an installer putting them on your Camry not only in this size but, speed rating too!

GY ACT, works well on almost every Toyota sedan. No reason to downsize, there are plenty of options in your size which will fulfill your requirements. Primacy MXM4/MXV4 , Bridgestone Serenity Plus, Pirelli Cinturato P7+ , Altimax RT43, Cooper CS5 Grand Touring to name a few.

15 inch wheels won't work on that vintage Camry. By the time you buy new wheels and deal with the TPMS your saving money is long gone. My 07 Hybrid I run 205/65-16 Blizzaks in the winter. To save money I would buy an RT 43 in that size and drive accordingly.

Originally Posted By: bourne
GY ACT, works well on almost every Toyota sedan. No reason to downsize, there are plenty of options in your size which will fulfill your requirements. Primacy MXM4/MXV4 , Bridgestone Serenity Plus, Pirelli Cinturato P7+ , Altimax RT43, Cooper CS5 Grand Touring to name a few.

Indeed! Always stay with the OE recommended size & speed rating when possible. But too, it does depend on how much more ride comfort one desires and is willing to give up on the handling. It's always a tradeoff!

Those tire choice you list are all good examples for good ride comfort though, in a Camry, the 60 series tire could be the culprit.

I've had or do have, several tires listed in your recommendations(G/Y ACT's, RT43's, P7 & P4, CS4 though, not the CS5's). And I like them all thus far! All good riding/quiet but, mine are all different sizes.

My buddy has the Hankook Optimo H727 in the OP's size and they too are a good choice. He's had this tire in many sizes and they all work well for what the OP's criteria!

I've changed aspect ratios for the same reason and it has worked out fine. I have to use more of a 'specialty' tire shop that caters to street rodders, ect as the chain tire outfits are all into 'as OE' only-good luck

Now that tire stores/chains are becoming more picky about what they're installing, even when bring in my own tires. I try and have been buying vehicles that have a tire that I can live with and want to keep in terms of size and speed ratings when replacing tires.

I really don't want "V" or "Z" speed rated tires on my family sedans. And although, "H" speed rating is becoming the norm, I want the option to put on a "T" if I so choose! There are in many cases that the "T" out performs it's "H" brethren.

The AltiMax RT43 is a perfect example as was the Cooper CS4(discontinued) and the Pirelli P4(H being discontinued). Although, this IS NOT the norm for tires.

Last edited:
....I found all this very interesting...as I went from 15" OEM rims/tires to 17"ers...and UHP tires as well...both contributing to a much more controlled ride...at least on the 05 Camry.

Has anyone stopped to consider whether 15" wheels will even fit?

I have - and a cursory look at Tire Rack and DTD shows 16" as the smallest wheel available for any '09 Camry.

I'm almost positive 16" is the minimum size to clear the brakes on an 07+ Camry.

As far as ride quality, KitaCam has a good point. Tall, soft-sidewalled tires don't necessarily ride better. They may ride softer, but if the suspension is too firm on compression (combo of spring rate and compression damping on the shocks), the ride quality can develop a funky bounce that makes it feel worse. Stiffer tires won't have the bounce, although they can be a bit harsher over certain bumps. IMO, a slightly firm, well controlled ride is more pleasant than a soft, bouncy, squishy, sloppy ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back